Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By billdelong

Best carpet/Astro for an indoor off-road track

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Best carpet/Astro for an indoor off-road track

Gathering info. Would like to find out what astro is the best for indoor off-road track. Carpet too
Old 09-05-2017, 05:09 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What casey has in albany. Its cheap, widely avalible , grippy and has good tire wear.
It also seems to be lasting.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I prefer astro
Old 09-05-2017, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The local indoor off-road track is Fasttrack 2 carpet. Sure good traction and really nice to run on!
Old 09-05-2017, 07:39 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the big rc
I prefer astro
PBR has astro in Grants Pass. I helped build that track. Tire wear is higher and it
was quite a bit more money. The grip is less but maybe that's what your after?

Thin and cheap is what I was told about astro.

Have you been down to Grants Pass yet to check it out?

Our Octoberfest is coming up in at the end of october. Might be a good time to
come and check it out.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I can't speak for other tracks, but I'll do my best to describe what we've done at Thornhill:
https://www.facebook.com/ThornhillRacingCircuit/

The owner bought turf that was recycled from an indoor athletic complex for a very good price. It's a short pile grass that seems to run best with a small pin tire... but really anything with rubber works nicely, even clay compound tires like dirt webs/electrons! The Spec Slash class doesn't have any problem with traction, though treads with pins do get better traction and the harder the compound the better the traction as the pins are less likely to fold over.

A set of soft pins will last about 4 race days before they start to show wear and probably need to be replaced and a set of hard pins are running indefinitely so far, but if I had to guess, probably 8+ race days... the track has only seen 5 race days so far and the turf still looks as good as the day it was installed.

Industrial grade carpet was glued on the wooden ramps and the face of each ramp is showing signs of wear from the cars bottoming out and/or accelerating up the ramp... hard to say how many more race days before those sections of carpet will need to be replaced.

This club alternates each week between the covered turf and dirt tracks... when hurricane Harvey blew through a couple weeks back (it was a practice day for the turf track), we had some sideways rain and the far corners of the track got wet... I ran a battery pack with my Tekno SCT410 and found that my lap times were about 1 sec/lap slower, but generally the wet turf felt like driving on loose loamy dirt. Corner entry would tend to push and corner exit would tend to get a little sideways if you hammered the throttle too hard.

When the turf is dry, it's like driving on velcro with a set of hard pins from just about any brand. Generally, most folks are really happy with the performance and tire wear, the club used to spray on dirt glue with the previous track and a set of clay tires were gone after 1 race day and traction wasn't near as good as turf.
oldernoob likes this.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Bill, when we come down for the spec tire race, should we bring our 1/10th carpet cars to play on the turf track? Or will it be closed during that weekend?
Old 09-06-2017, 04:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I don't think so, normally they close the small track for big races but I would post the question on this thread here just to be certain:

https://www.facebook.com/ThornhillRa...296877/?type=3