Search
Like Tree2Likes

Foam tires in offroad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 08:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slanman
They should be allowed 100%. Cut em as small as you want!
@#%$@# #@Q$@#$ GRRRrrrr! lmao.. the sarcasm drips off of this you know? :P
Old 09-04-2017, 08:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fredswain
Who said they'd need to? Just allow them as an option.
I've been racing foam tires on-road since 1990 and I ran the Jaco foams on the brand new RC10T2 when it came out. The one thing that is still the same is foam tires chunk in any crash and they also chunk on ribbed lane dividers. So you not only need to true tires down to go fast, but also to repair almost new tires that need chunks glued back in.

I have heard that the Banana tires are better than the old Jaco tires with resisting chunking. That still doesn't change physics.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:08 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

we had some guys running foams up here in SCT. The only problem I had with them was that they were trued down to being like running big sedan tires. As long as a rule is enforced that the tire must not go below a minimum diameter that rubber tires meet too, I don't really care.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Old days foam

Back in the early '80s I remember some foam tire came out for the Tamiya Sand Scorcher (& clones). They were made with four layers of notched foam that were off-set so they resembled a checkerboard on the tread.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
we had some guys running foams up here in SCT. The only problem I had with them was that they were trued down to being like running big sedan tires. As long as a rule is enforced that the tire must not go below a minimum diameter that rubber tires meet too, I don't really care.
That and the weight are my biggest complaints about it.. They've trued them down to 1mm +/- and are saving probably near 500 grams.. In club racing they aren't getting weighed or adding that weight back on.. it's cheap if you ask me!