R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-27-2006, 05:31 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default WHAT MAKES OFF ROAD RACING MORE FUN THAN ON ROAD RACING????

WHAT MAKES OFF ROAD RACING MORE FUN THAN ON ROAD RACING????

HELLO ALL................

I'M CURRENTLY RUNNING OPEN MOD TOURING CAR AND HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO TRY OFF ROAD RACING ( MOD. TRUCK ). PERSONALLY I AM GETTING TIRED OF THE MANUFACTURES PUTTING OUT A NEW CAR EVERY MONTH. ALSO THE PRICES OF THE ON ROAD TOURING CARS IS GETTING OUT OF CONTROLL WERE TALKING $400 TO $475 BUCKS FOR A NEW TOURING CAR. I FIND MY SELF TUNNING AND TWEAKING MY CAR IN BETWEEN RACES WITH NO TIME TO SOCIALIZE WITH MY FELLOW RACERS. IT SEEMS THAT HAVING THE BEST BATTERIES AND THE HOTTEST MOTOR, AND THE BEST SET-UP MAKES MORE OF A DIFFERENCE IN ON ROAD THAN IT DOES IN OFF ROAD RACING.AND WITH THE NEW BATTERY WARS IT'S GETTING VERY EXPENSIVE TO STAY ON TOP.

SO IF THERE IS ANY CONVERTED ON ROAD RACER OUT THERE THAT ARE NOW RUNNING OFF ROAD LET ME KNOW HOW YOUR LIKING IT...............

QUESTIONS............

IS THERE LESS TUNING IN OFF ROAD RACING THAN ON ROAD?

IS IT PRETTY MUCH TIRES 90% SET UP 10%
(I'M LOOKING FOR A HOBBY NOT A FULL TIME JOB)

IS IT IMPORTANT TO HAVE THE BEST MATCH PACKS?
( I HAVE HEARD OF TEAM DRIVERS RUNNNIG NON MATCHED PACKS TO CUT DOWN ON WHEEL SPIN)

DO YOU HAVE TIME TO HANG OUT IN THE PITS WITH YOUR FRIENDS IN BETWEEN RACES AND NOT STUCK ON A SETUP BOARD,SET UP STATION,TWEAK BLOCKS,CHANGING SET UPS ECT...ECT....ECT....

ANY OTHER REMARKS WELCOMED....

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME....................

Last edited by RED-LINE M03; 01-27-2006 at 07:12 PM. Reason: .
RED-LINE M03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:44 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Location: Everybody wants to go to Heaven..... but Nobody wants to die

I just converted to on road in order to avoid dust getting to my noose.

it is a fun environment if you are not allergic to dust .....lol
krisnata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:50 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

I've been racing off-road for 20+ years now.

almost nobody uses a setup board in off-road, most just use an RPM camber gauge. You would have a difficult time even finding a setup system for off-road.

Tweaking an off-road truck might be done for a slick track.

Modified truck class typically uses 12, 11, and 10 turn motors (or brushless), matched packs are not as important because you can go down to a lower wind motor and still have plenty of runtime. Although since matched packs charge and discharge together, their overall lifespan is longer. But no, you wont need 1.22 volt cells in off-road.

the right tire and insert is 90% of car setup in off-road, you'll typically stay pretty close in chassis setup for the majority of tracks.

much more time for eating and pit racing with friends!
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:23 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

offroad is better, at least i think so, the biggest reason for me is that all the onroad guys around here take it waaayyy to seriously, the offroad guys are there just to have a good time, and yes, you will have way more time to socialize, i used the same set up in my 8th scale buggy all summer, and if your running mod truck, there is no droop screws or any of that stuff, so there wont be as much chaniging in your set up, once you get it right, the only thing you might have to change is tires, and another thing, you can stay very competitive with an older car, becuase in offroad you have to be alot more conistent, and more often than not its just staying on all 4 wheels that keeps you up front, and the biggestest advantage to me, is no more chunked tires,

i'd give it a try, i think you'll like it, i know i'm glad i switched,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:50 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I race both and love both. Although they both have their advantages, some stuff about them sucks too.

Off-road: Simply said, its hard and dirty. 2wd trucks and buggys (nitro specific) are alot harder to drive that you would ever think. If your car is not on a blue groove (usually clay) surface you have to learn throttle control all over again. Espcially if its your first time. You will have the back end breaking traction all the time. But at the same time, you get jumps, not nearly as much setup work (once you get in the ballpark). I love racing off-road, and it is probably my favorite thing to do.

On-road: Can be fun because normally there is ALWAYS a good amount of traction. No matter where you go, its always point and shoot. With the excessive amounts of grip, you can focus more on setup and just keeping the car between the pipes. Obviously chunking tires is annoying. And not to mention the car/motor/battery war that keeps people spending thousands of dollars with this "better" equipment that is released every month. Eitehr way you will have fun. I think that you will like the off-road atmosphere better, its not so hostile its seems.

Either way, have fun.
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:26 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to David Alberico Send a message via Yahoo to David Alberico

I think off-road requires less cost, typically at our local track tires last quite a while and although horsepower and batteries do matter in stock it is more driver than anything.

Now, if you take sedan, most tracks just have stock and 19T, and now it is more important for you to have a prefect car, a selection of 19T motors and expensive batteries because just being a good driver isn't quite enough.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:01 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Key element related to costs of battery, motors and maintenance:
It is easy to be overpowered in offroad, it is easy to be underpowered in onroad.
I have always found that it is easier to be in a *race* while racing offroad. When I did 1/12 scale it seemed that everybody was separated by their ability level and nothing caused them to meet on the track except lapping or being lapped. In offroad I find myself racing closely with people every run.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:13 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've raced offroad my whole life, and just started racing onroad 2 years ago. I like both alot, and the precision of onroad sedan has actually fine tuned my offroad racing skills. I'm a little more patient and my throttle control is smoother.

I'm able to preform better now than ever before. Damn, I need spring to be here!!!!!!!!

The thing I like about offroad is how you power your car into corners and give a little blip of the brakes to power slide your way around corners. Then I pick up the throttle. I hate calculating roll out, and I always have to check it because as you go your tires wear out and you have to re gear.

Off road, your tires stay the same size, but some times you get a track that eats up your tires like concrete. But my favorite tracks have to be the indoor clay surface that allows slicks, the more worn out, the better. Then all you have to worry about is if your tire foams are wearing out or not!!!
Old 01-27-2006, 08:40 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

Well first thing, look down at your pants, is there a bulge there? Even a little one? If you answered yes, then you will LOVE offroad. Why wouldn't you?! It's every mans dream to whip cars/trucks around in the dirt! I know it's been my dream ever since I was a little boy.

I have never really owned an onroad car before but I have raced both. I do not like onroad, I get to do that every day driving to work I like to fly through mud and jump my truck in the air. Onroad just seems so limited to me. Maybe it was just because I never caught on like everyone else did.

I find myself much happier when my XXX-T is caked in mud and my shins have tire marks on them from jumping it and sending it into cartwheels and hitting myself.

I'd say its really all preference, some people like the onroad approach because of the 'scale' feel I guess. I just like dirt and jumps! I'm a boy, what can i say?
meegosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:00 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default OFFROAD

OFFROAD all the way....

after taking a 8yr break, i got back into hobby running on-road and had a blast, after almost 2yrs of running onroad i found myself getting bored with it. ran into some old racing buddies from back in the day and they talked me into runnin off-road again, and for the past year i havent looked back.

around here most of the off road guys are soo much cooler and fun to be around and i believe offroad makes you a better driver. offroad setup is important but more driver than anything. onroad, the setup is most important. yes there is the costs of both, but i think offroad is a lot less expensive. i ran on-road one time after getting back into offroad and i was bored.
vic0280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:31 AM   #11
Tech Legend

Default Both class`s R real fun

Still, when it comes down to the dollars..
I don`t have to buy a fresh set of $50 rubber donuts just to play....

I race twice a week , sometime three times....
If I try to have that much fun with a sedan I would have to spend at least $150 a week ! Mostly on tires !

I can race the same in off-road for about $300 a month, not cheap , but thats a whole lot less MOLA than $500 to $600 a month ....

More "racing", is more "fun", than buying $50 tires....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:16 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Default keep it coming

Keep them coming.............

I have to agree. I visited a local dirt track and there was so much less stress in the atmosphere. I was visiting the different pit areas and asking questions. Everybody I mean 100% of the racers were so helpfull and about 6 or 7 of them gave me their controller to test out their buggy or truck around the track during practice. Catching some air off the jumps and spinning some on the dirt was a blast

I think this quote is very true........
(I think that you will like the off-road atmosphere better, its not so hostile.)

Last edited by RED-LINE M03; 01-27-2006 at 12:38 PM. Reason: .
Old 01-27-2006, 12:32 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

But dont think that off-road isnt competitive. Its more of a whos a better driver type deal to me. What I love the most about off road racing, is when you get serious and go to "big" races. You can just as easily compete with anyone including the pros. You can buy any motor run any fuel, etc. And the thing about it, 98% of all the off-road powerplants are a tremendous overkill. Its a lot of fun knowing that if your car is setup well and your a good driver, that you can contend for the win.
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:39 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nutfluff

Another great thing about offroad racing is that if you do bobble or need to be marshalled you are not out of the race...it would be still possible to catch up...more so than onroad.
nutfluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:44 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Default lead changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutfluff
Another great thing about offroad racing is that if you do bobble or need to be marshalled you are not out of the race...it would be still possible to catch up...more so than onroad.
I would have to agree with you there. There is defiantly more lead changes in off road racing because there is more of a chance to make an error. That would make for some very interesting and fun racing.

Last edited by RED-LINE M03; 01-27-2006 at 12:46 PM. Reason: .