Search
Like Tree6Likes

Best motor cooling fan

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Piles
Depends upon the placement of the fan. If you have a fan mounted on the chassis and its placed behind the motor its more efficient at removing the heat sucking. Consider this, if there was no fan, airflow, (what little there is) moves from front to back as the car moves forward. So blowing from back to front will have less effect.
But for it to be effective, the rest of the body would need to be pretty well sealed up and only have cutouts directing the air toward the motor. It is easier and more efficient to just have the fan blowing directly on the motor. It could help though to have two fans, one going on the motor and one at the back pulling the warm air out.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EbbTide
But for it to be effective, the rest of the body would need to be pretty well sealed up and only have cutouts directing the air toward the motor. It is easier and more efficient to just have the fan blowing directly on the motor. It could help though to have two fans, one going on the motor and one at the back pulling the warm air out.
I wouldnt have thought so. If the body was sealed there would be airflow but little heat transfer. We need to "get rid" of that hot air and the body being open is important for that if not very practical.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

I wouldnt have thought so. If the body was sealed there would be airflow but little heat transfer. We need to "get rid" of that hot air and the body being open is important for that if not very practical.
You would need a dedicated intake and exhaust for it to be effective, with the rest of the body sealed or else you'd never get enough airflow over the motor itself to make a huge difference, you'd just be extracting the warmer air lowering ambient temps inside of the body which is still good. But that might only get you half the cooling performance compared to the fan blowing directly on the motor.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EbbTide
You would need a dedicated intake and exhaust for it to be effective, with the rest of the body sealed or else you'd never get enough airflow over the motor itself to make a huge difference, you'd just be extracting the warmer air lowering ambient temps inside of the body which is still good. But that might only get you half the cooling performance compared to the fan blowing directly on the motor.
If you had a dedicated intake and exhaust you wouldnt need a fan.

If your using a fan blowing against the natural airflow under the shell it wont be as efficient as it would be pulling air over the motor with the natural airflow. Its free airflow, use it. Dont fight it.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

If you had a dedicated intake and exhaust you wouldnt need a fan.

If your using a fan blowing against the natural airflow under the shell it wont be as efficient as it would be pulling air over the motor with the natural airflow. Its free airflow, use it. Dont fight it.
If you feel like a fan pushing the air out is the best solution by all means give it a shot. But until I see numbers indicating that a fan blowing on the motor is less efficient than no fan at all, I'll keep doing it this way
Old 11-15-2017, 02:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for all the replies.

I had bought a fan mount for the XB2 that vertically mounts using the motor waterfall. I will have to cut an opening in the body. That being said, I am still partial to thinking of pulling heat away due to the location of the fan/motor, and since heat rises I'd hate to be circulating heat within the body by pushing in air and not having it go anywhere.

I will try it both ways and see what is best but really appreciate all the reccos.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Vincent_Diesel
Thanks for all the replies.

I had bought a fan mount for the XB2 that vertically mounts using the motor waterfall. I will have to cut an opening in the body. That being said, I am still partial to thinking of pulling heat away due to the location of the fan/motor, and since heat rises I'd hate to be circulating heat within the body by pushing in air and not having it go anywhere.

I will try it both ways and see what is best but really appreciate all the reccos.
Let us know what you find either way should help to an extent
Old 11-17-2017, 04:46 AM
Tech Rookie

LOL cool!
Old 06-16-2019, 12:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Can I hard wire WTF fans for 6s?i have a Mugen MGT7 Eco and been using computer server fans but they’re not durable however they can handle 6s with no problem. I keep breaking them when I have a minor crash or bump. Thanks for any recommendations.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

wtf fans are normally 6v to 8.4v..never seen 1 rated for 6 cells.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by the rc guy
wtf fans are normally 6v to 8.4v..never seen 1 rated for 6 cells.
Thanks, I'll give them a try.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by FatalTundra
Thanks, I'll give them a try.
bought wtf fan, lasted one day. 2 runs and it was done. Just fyi.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:18 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

That yokomo fan, the circular one has been working well so far. The Yeah Racing aluminium on though has been a workhorse.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:09 PM
Tech Adept

Protip: you can increase the performance of dual fan setups by putting a lexan sheet between them, avoiding them slowing each other down by competing for the same air.
​​It's standard practice in HVAC and I tested it with pc fans (which report their rotation speed) and the increase was close to 20%
Old 06-17-2019, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Talking

Originally Posted by Totallyosho
Protip: you can increase the performance of dual fan setups by putting a lexan sheet between them, avoiding them slowing each other down by competing for the same air.
​​It's standard practice in HVAC and I tested it with pc fans (which report their rotation speed) and the increase was close to 20%
can I see some actual results in this said increase..hmmm hard to get multi fans in a hvac unit with 1 fan sure they have 3 power wires with single fan in furnace ..thats a possible of 3 speed fan .slow med high.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.