Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Is there a world wide parts/tire shortage? >

Is there a world wide parts/tire shortage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Is there a world wide parts/tire shortage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 11:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
IIRC, didn't Axial, ARRMA and Durango all get bought out by Hobbico or something like that?

Not sure if all 3 brands are affected, but a few months back I ran into parts issues which ultimately led to me selling my XRay, but also learned this tidbit from AMain which has me wondering if Hobbico is running into financial issues:

And there is another thread about Durango. They are pretty much dead and really just trying to sell the rest of their stock before any announcement. And all kinds of rumors going on with Hobbico. Even if they still do have plans for Durango, its clear they put their top sellers first (arrma and Axial). But now we've finally got alot of those parts instock, hopefully more info will come soon.

Hobbico lost all their molds, AE moved to thundertigers facilities and a lot of manufacturing changes. A few OEMs also closed.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mirkinator
And there is another thread about Durango. They are pretty much dead and really just trying to sell the rest of their stock before any announcement. And all kinds of rumors going on with Hobbico. Even if they still do have plans for Durango, its clear they put their top sellers first (arrma and Axial). But now we've finally got alot of those parts instock, hopefully more info will come soon.

Hobbico lost all their molds, AE moved to thundertigers facilities and a lot of manufacturing changes. A few OEMs also closed.
One thing I'm holding out hope for is that with Arrma's popularity, Hobbico will continue with the brand and potentially bring back Durango once this whole manufacturer fiasco has smoothed out. One hobby shop owner locally thinks Hobbico is just sitting on what they have until they have a proper plan of action. Then maybe we'll finally see something official from them. Until that time, I am buying up all DEX210 parts I can find lol.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EbbTide
One thing I'm holding out hope for is that with Arrma's popularity, Hobbico will continue with the brand and potentially bring back Durango once this whole manufacturer fiasco has smoothed out. One hobby shop owner locally thinks Hobbico is just sitting on what they have until they have a proper plan of action. Then maybe we'll finally see something official from them. Until that time, I am buying up all DEX210 parts I can find lol.
Yea. there is that guy here who says he is still on the Durango Racing Team and "Has no problem getting parts". Or course he runs 1/8th scale which seems the be the easiest rig to find parts and kits for. Also makes sense because ARRMA shares alot of parts with it and would be less expensive to keep parts going for it. Its the only Durango kit on Tower (Owned by Hobbico) that isnt disco'd.

And I love popping into the durango 1/10th threads. The lengths you guys go to to get parts! AlanR also seems to be quite the sluth! Lol, good luck.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Yea. there is that guy here who says he is still on the Durango Racing Team and "Has no problem getting parts". Or course he runs 1/8th scale which seems the be the easiest rig to find parts and kits for. Also makes sense because ARRMA shares alot of parts with it and would be less expensive to keep parts going for it. Its the only Durango kit on Tower (Owned by Hobbico) that isnt disco'd.

And I love popping into the durango 1/10th threads. The lengths you guys go to to get parts! AlanR also seems to be quite the sluth! Lol, good luck.
Yeah I remember seeing that post from the "sponsored" durango driver but he never fessed up about how he gets parts or what his manager says about Durango's future. So I'm with you in that they're just living off the remaining 1/8 scale parts still floating out there, and supplementing it with Arrma parts when factory bits can't be had.

I can't say it is financially "smart" of me to be going to the lengths I have been to get parts, but I have to say, no other buggy I've owned hit the spot the way my 210's have. It's going to be painful to watch my parts stash dwindle over the years until nothing is left lol. I bet that is a similar mentality embraced by the others like Alan who are trying to keep the Durango name alive however long we can. Not to mention, these buggies can still kick butt!
Old 07-24-2017, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah I remember seeing that post from the "sponsored" durango driver but he never fessed up about how he gets parts or what his manager says about Durango's future. So I'm with you in that they're just living off the remaining 1/8 scale parts still floating out there, and supplementing it with Arrma parts when factory bits can't be had.

I can't say it is financially "smart" of me to be going to the lengths I have been to get parts, but I have to say, no other buggy I've owned hit the spot the way my 210's have. It's going to be painful to watch my parts stash dwindle over the years until nothing is left lol. I bet that is a similar mentality embraced by the others like Alan who are trying to keep the Durango name alive however long we can. Not to mention, these buggies can still kick butt!
Yeah it was definitely on my short list of 2wd drive buggies. Seen a few at the track and quality was top notch. Unfortantely its now down to the Losi or AE for me, but I really wanted a 3rd USA designed buggy to choose from. But best of luck to you!
Old 07-24-2017, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah it was definitely on my short list of 2wd drive buggies. Seen a few at the track and quality was top notch. Unfortantely its now down to the Losi or AE for me, but I really wanted a 3rd USA designed buggy to choose from. But best of luck to you!
Don't worry, one day Tekno will bring us another 'Murican made 2wd buggy as soon as they perfect their 1/10 4wd buggy at the end of the Summer Then maybe I'll finally move on from my DEX210's haha.

In the meantime, I fully intend to win some hardware with my buggies!
Old 07-24-2017, 12:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Don't worry, one day Tekno will bring us another 'Murican made 2wd buggy as soon as they perfect their 1/10 4wd buggy at the end of the Summer
Too bad they haven't made a SCT210. I guess 2WD SCT isn't as popular as 4WD over there. Although now here in Finland that seems to be the trend too, 4WD SCT is way more numerous in races compared to 2WD (though still ridiculously low in number), while last year it still seemed to be somewhat even. Not sure why no 2WD love anywhere - and yet on the other end Team Associated in turn doesn't seem to want to make a new 4x4? Bummer.

I really like my SC10 2WD and 4x4 but if I'm really going to get into racing more competitively, they are sadly rather outdated and compared to the newer options a slight hinderance as my driving improves. Choosing a new brand is tricky however, because the local store only really has Team Associated, no Tekno or TLR or such, and from what I've read in 2WD SC5M isn't really at the top of the pack either at this point. Not that I'm sure it makes sense to invest in a race class that struggles to get enough cars for even a single start (there was all of 8 2WDs in the local national race last month), so a 4WD would make more sense. The TLR offering mainly seems to "suffer" from mixed metric/imperial hardware which seems annoying, but it's also currently cheaper online than the Tekno. Not an easy choice.

Aaaaand I realize I went way beyond the topic right about there
Old 07-24-2017, 02:35 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Tekno will bring us another 'Murican made 2wd buggy
Almost nothing in this hobby except for tires are MADE in the US. Tekno like
everyone else makes there kits overseas.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

What has drawn me to Tekno for every electric class they support at the club level is that they seem to be the only race grade brand that continues to support their original release designs for spares. I'm still racing my SCT410.1 and have no problems getting legacy spares for it
SCT410 ? Tekno RC, LLC.

There are a myriad of other things that Tekno have been paving the way for the industry to follow suit, and legacy parts support is key... though I think Traxxas is probably the first brand to prove how effective that strategy is to keeping consumers loyal for life.

There needs to be a balance between support for legacy, durability and cutting edge performance... that's where Tekno is second to none.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No kidding, as long as Tekno keeps doing what they do, I'll be a customer for life. I don't even look at other brands anymore

Last edited by Malazan; 07-24-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

In all fairness though, aren't all of the Tekno vehicles pretty new compared to brands like Losi or AE? From my understanding the 410 is originally from 2013 or so? You can still get parts for old AE cars for example. 4x4 is out of production, but parts are still available. SC10 2WD is still even produced in RTR form, despite being from 2009, and thus parts readily available. B4 and B44, parts available. At least to some extent even for B3, which was released in 2000 - haven't checked farther back than that. Now, I don't know about specific model revision spares and whatnot, but that still seems like pretty good legacy support to me. I don't know how Losi or other brands are by comparison in this regard though.

That said I'm certainly not dissing Tekno, they seem to put out very good products, and I agree that all the three categories are important. But for me two considerations regarding SCTE 3.0 and SCT410.3 is that right now the Tekno doesn't even seem to be available in Europe at least, it's sold out everywhere, and that it's a bit pricier at least in Finland (400 for Losi, 420 for Tekno, but Losi comes with wheels and body)... and at least in the hands of top pros, the Losi appears to be potentially faster. Both great cars without a doubt, though, which is why it's a hard decision. Well, other than the fact that even if I wanted a new Tekno right this moment, I couldn't get it since it is out of stock.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:50 PM
Tech Addict

I am NOT a hoe.

Since college.
Mirkinator likes this.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Alan_r
I am NOT a hoe.

Since college.
LOL, Im beggining to wonder what you wouldnt do for 5 pristine durango bodys?
Old 07-25-2017, 05:06 PM
Tech Addict

I had to look up sluth in an urban dictionary.... Loosely translated and understood as "he gets around all over digging for parts and people that can help."

But the first definition works well too.