Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Safest CD temp for Tekno ET48?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 05:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Safest CD temp for Tekno ET48?

Hi, running a tekin 2250 kv with rc8 gen2 esc, and melted a center diff a while a go on its 5th or 6th speed run up and down the street. I was told by tekno support to run 100k in the center diff and 25 k in the rear and front for high traction settings such as grass and asphault, so I did. Getting ok temps now. Bashing in short/medium grass I get in the 130's F on the center diff. Even smooth acceleration on asphault keeps me in the 110's. But if I do short bursts of max acceleration enough to do many wheelies, then the cd temps jump into the high 140's now. I quit after I saw those temps so its possible it could have gotten even hotter. So whats the safest center diff temps to prevent damage/melt down?
Old 06-11-2017, 07:30 AM
Tech Regular

I cant give an answer as what the ideal CD temp is, but 2 of my Tekno's run ~130 & 1 at ~145. All 3 w/500k CD, 6s, & on grass. The only time I destroyed a CD is after it leaked out too much oil. This ET thread may result in an answer: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...48-thread.html
Old 06-11-2017, 07:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Update

I got the cd up to 164 F doing short successive bursts of max acceleration. I quit at that point because I was afraid of permanent damage. I have no doubt that if I had continued, it would have gotten even hotter. My motor was only in the 120s by comparison. None of my other electric vehicles have this problem.... What is it with this configuration? Oh and im running a 15t pinion and a 4s battery by the way.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

164 is not going to hurt anything. The case will start to soften after 250. You could go higher in weight with the center diff if you want to. If you want to lower the temperature further, the Losi HD case works very well. It holds more fluid which makes it run cooler and it has metal inserts for durability.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-...4070-a-15.html
Old 06-11-2017, 08:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi Overkill. Thanks for the reply. I read your original thread on this same subject the other day and it was very informative. My friend and I have been discussing it regarding our own ET48's. If you dont mind me asking, how did you figure those numbers out? Also, did you ever figure out why your first cd melted? Mine looked EXACTLY like yours. Its just hard to believe that the stock cd fluid would have allowed the cd to melt with so little use... I am now interested in further investigating my other vehicles.

Last edited by BurnItAllDown; 06-12-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BurnItAllDown
Hi Overkill. Thanks for the reply. I read your original thread on this same subject the other day and it was very informative. My friend and I have been discussing it regarding our own ET48's. If you dont mind me asking, how did you figure those numbers out? Also, did you ever figure out why your first cd melted? Mine looked EXACTLY like yours. Its just hard to believe that the stock cd fluid would have allowed the cd to melt with so little use... I am now interested in further investigating my other vehicles.
I checked the temperature when I melted one. It melted from a bad bearing.