Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
It Seems Like a bad Time For Rc Racing ? >

It Seems Like a bad Time For Rc Racing ?

Like Tree23Likes

It Seems Like a bad Time For Rc Racing ?

Old 06-05-2017, 04:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default It Seems Like a bad Time For Rc Racing ?

Of course I'm new to the world of RC and just starting to think about racing , is it me or is it a bad time for RC in general ?
It seems like everything is out of stock at the wrong time kits , parts and everyone in manufacturing and sales is staying tight lipped.

It is kind of scary to me , is this what happens when every single thing we buy is made in China ?
Aligater likes this.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

I don't think it is a bad time but rather a time of rapid updates. Manufacturers are increasing which in turn increases competition and the need for updated kits. As the kits get updated the new parts have to get updated and put in stock. The days of a kit remaining the same or relevant for 3+ seasons have ended therefore the timing of updates, revisions and all new models has sped up. I for one am pleased to see further engineering although the cost to stay current is increasing.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Fewer tracks available as kids play video games these days.
Cain, aeguy, Callaway and 1 others like this.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by morjamn View Post
Of course I'm new to the world of RC and just starting to think about racing , is it me or is it a bad time for RC in general ?
It seems like everything is out of stock at the wrong time kits , parts and everyone in manufacturing and sales is staying tight lipped.

It is kind of scary to me , is this what happens when every single thing we buy is made in China ?
Depends on where you are at and what brand of kit you want. In the Austin area our club races average around 100 entries. Xray is a high quality product that is not made in China. LRP is made in Europe and AKA is made in the USA!
morjamn likes this.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

I am in California but I also heard on a post here (somewhere) LRP is Bankrupt.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

I am in California but I also heard on a post here (somewhere) LRP is Bankrupt.
LRP America is in California. LRP Europe is in insolvency and hopefully will be re-organzing. They are bringing out a new line of motors soon so i think things are going to be fine. LRP has been around a long time and their quality is in my opinion better than anyone else's. They manufacture everything in Europe.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:56 PM
Tech Regular

there are more tracks, and more races than ever before. just look at liverc.com or other site. at some point too many big events almost every weekend or every other. tracks are killing tracks. pros that are local travel so much, you don't even see them locally hardly anymore
tc5 man and Phillip F like this.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

X-factory kits are made in Michigan but use some Associated parts to complete. JConcepts and Proline bodies are made here. AKA and Proline tires are too. DE Racing wheels. Lunsford, MIP, RPM. Tekin motors are Chinese, but most of their other products are made here. Vision Racing Products. RC Shox. McKune Design. And many others.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by bubbaslash View Post
X-factory kits are made in Michigan but use some Associated parts to complete. JConcepts and Proline bodies are made here. AKA and Proline tires are too. DE Racing wheels. Lunsford, MIP, RPM. Tekin motors are Chinese, but most of their other products are made here. Vision Racing Products. RC Shox. McKune Design. And many others.
That is a fair amount of stuff but not enough in contrast.I guess the supply chain from China is broken at the moment.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by platgof View Post
Fewer tracks available as kids play video games these days.
funny 99% of racers I see in the tracks are older guys who only know pacman and tetris.
morjamn likes this.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

I suppose my timing is just off. I got my sct in March , TE parts are on back order as many kits of brands are as well. I was never involved until recently so I never knew how supply and demand was in th RC off road stuff. It may be common for parts and cars to be back ordered.

Last edited by morjamn; 06-06-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I suppose my timing is just off. I got my sct in March , TE parts are on back order as many kits of brands are as well.
TE as in Tekno? Very rarely have seen Tekno parts go on back order, in fact I think they're one of the few brands that continue to support most of their first release kits for parts support

Regardless, you have chosen a class that just isn't as popular these days and that could be skewing your opinion overall across the industry where buggy platforms are still going strong among 1/10 to 1/8 as well as 2WD and 4WD.

While I disagree with some of the snobs/trolls on the following thread, there is some truth in there if you read with an open mind:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ortcourse.html

As for me, I'm very fortunate to have a race club in my area which still supports SC racing on both their 1/10 and 1/8 tracks
Old 06-06-2017, 07:59 AM
Tech Adept

I just think a lot of small local hobby shops go under because it's bigger presences on the Internet put them out of business and then their stock gets whittled down quicker
platgof and Callaway like this.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Grudges over 30+ day old internet arguments....

Back to what the OP was REALLY asking: yes, the fact that much of what goes into this hobby is manufactured in China has had a pretty negative impact on availability and even quality. Their holiday calendar had a pretty profound impact on parts/kit availability earlier this year, and Jan - April was particularly brutal. What stings even more is when a huge order for a particular part is finally filled, only to discover there was a defect in either its design or the execution of the design. The wait starts all over.

I also have to assume that those who source from China have to order in relatively significant bulk in order to keep costs down. I probably don't have to spell out how that, coupled with an effective shut-down earlier in the year, results in an extremely strained supply chain.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Maybe that is why I haven't been able to get a out of box failure battery warranted in over a month, it's ridiculous. The shorty battery was defective from the day I tested it on my iCharger. The current output was low, the battery could not sustain over 16 amps under a discharge test. Contacted there tech support emailed back and fourth and I still have not received a replacement.

Originally Posted by Pville Stig View Post
LRP America is in California. LRP Europe is in insolvency and hopefully will be re-organzing. They are bringing out a new line of motors soon so i think things are going to be fine. LRP has been around a long time and their quality is in my opinion better than anyone else's. They manufacture everything in Europe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.