R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-22-2002, 02:26 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default RC 10GT or Ofna Ultra GT?

I'd like to buy a nitro buggy/stadium truck RTR kit, and after a lot of research, I've narrowed my choices down to these 2. I needed to keep the price down to less than $300. So far, I have found the lowest price for either of these kits to be $259.95.

I've been able to find quite a bit of info on the RC 10, but not much for the Ofna. Everything I've read about the RC 10 says it's very well built and sturdy. Nobody's really said anything negitive about it. I haven't been able to find any testimony for the Ofna.

I'm attracted to the Ofna for several reasons. It's a little bigger (1/8 scale vs 1/10 for the RC 10), with a bit larger engine (.21 vs.15), and 4WD. The same things that attract me to it also make me question it. Will the larger engine adequately compensate for the larger size of the vehicle? Is 4WD more of a pain in the a$$ than it's worth because it's more complex and requires more maintenance than 2WD does? Does the larger size of the 1/8 scale make the vehicle's parts more prone to wear and breakage?

I've seen pictures of the Ofna, and it looks to be very well built, but I also know you can't really tell how good something is just by looking at it. I like the radio that comes with the Ofna better as well. It's an Airtronics, which I know makes very good radios. The RC 10 comes with a Jaguar radio, which I've never heard of.

Do any of you have any experience with either of these vehicles? Given that price isn't an issue since they're both the same price, I really don't know which one I should go with. I would think they're probably about equal in terms of speed, with a slight edge in handling going to the RC 10, because it's smaller. I'm not looking to race, and though I want something fast, I also want it to be reliable. Which way should I go?
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 04:48 PM   #2
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I've had experience with my RC10GT and Ofna Worlds 2. Not the Ultra GT LX but I know a few people that have them. From what I can say, I would go for the buggy. They're fast even with a mild .21 and super tough. The GT is tough too but a 1/8th buggy just rips!

The buggies can take a real beating. Just keep them clean and you shouldn't have any problems. The only real maintenance is probably changing the diff oil and shock oil every now and then but I wouldn't necessarily worry about that too much. Same with the GT, every now and then, you'll need to rebuild the ball diff and change shock oil.

With a buggy though, you'll definitely want to change the steering servo. A standard servo is not enough since its larger and heavier so you'll need to factor in the cost.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 05:20 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

I'm going with the RC 10. I've heard too many bad things about the Ofna Ultra, things like they aren't together very well, and replacement parts are extemely difficult to come buy. Not what I want.
Old 11-24-2002, 08:29 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to B3boy
Arrow

You made a good choice. I have an RC10GT but it is not RTR. They are pretty much the same though if you get the "plus" version.

I never have an problems with my GT. Its very durable and simple.

Another reason why you should get the GT is because it is race quality. Even though you aren't going to race this means that parts are easy to find, and the truck is engineered very well.

The buggy is about the same price as the GT, and buggies are usually much more than a truck because they have bigger engines, and 4WD. So this means that OFNA had to use cheaper parts to make it the same price as the GT.

good luck

I just noticed that they are both "GT". I meant GT as in RC10GT

Last edited by B3boy; 11-24-2002 at 08:33 AM.
B3boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 09:12 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

Does your GT have a pull start? I've been hearing that the pull start mechanisms are gargbage. Is it possible to get the RTR with a non-pull start? If so, what type of electric starter would I need to use?
Old 11-24-2002, 11:53 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to B3boy

Yes, my GT does have a pull-start. I have not had any problems with it. But the engine that came with mine is a different engine than the RTR version. I am not sure if you can get the RTR in a non-pullstart version. But if you can, I would recomend an OFNA starter box. They have on e for about $80 i think at www.nitrohouse.com It has a 12V gel cell battery (will last a long time) and a control panel for a built in glow igniter that will work as long as the gel cell is charged. I almost bought one myself, but didn't cause i couldn't afford it.

B3boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 06:56 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Mlarsen77
Default Love my RC10-GT.......And then came my SAVAGE 21

I can only say one bad thing about the RC10 GT.......I bought mine 3 years ago and the team associated kit came with the tub chassis at that time. It is very space restricting, and inconvenient making it very hard to adjust the engine to accomodate for larger/smaller spur gears. Since I baught mine, they have switched to the upgraded blue anodized chassis (Bout time!!) I paired my RC10 with an O.S. .15 CVX and it flew. If they havent done this already, I would upgrade the clutch to a 4 shoe flywheel......especially if you are going to a larger motor. If you are going to be a crasher.... look into a better servo saver for the steering servo. Oh yeah, the absolute best thing about this car is..... in just about every shop that deals in nitro carries just about EVERY part to this car so that you could almost build one from scratch right out of their stock!! I LOVE THIS. After 3 good years of thrashing the RC10-GT, it is time to pass on the fun of this car to my step-daughter. As soon as she saw the new Savage 21 come into the family, she saw the immediate opening with the GT. She will probably by a toyota supra, or porsche 911 turbo body for it..... I have to say, this HPI Savage 21 4X4 is damned fast, handles like a stadium truck, and soars like an eagle. I know this thing is going to be a whole lotta fun. I have never seen something so fast, so stable, and so big. Enjoy your GT!!
Mlarsen77 is offline   Reply With Quote