Community
Wiki Posts
Search

looking to get into 1/8th scale nitro

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 01:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you can swing the cost, the Xray XB8 is my choice. Whatever you pick, you want to consider who has the best support in your area or at your track. I went with the XB8 because the track I go to is an Xray dealer but they now offer Jammin and Kyosho so that widens the choices.

I wouldn't go for a high dollar motor straight off the bat. I prefer the mid priced motors like the Novarossi S5 or a Collari B5... my next motor will probably be a Novarosi 3 port or a Collari 3 port. As far as buying a used motor, just be careful who you buy it from. I wouldn't buy one from ebay but I would buy one from someone at sgrid.com that knows what they're doing and you've researched them. You're always better off buying new.

Pipe? I run a jammin J1, can't beat it.

Servos? Ace Hobbies servos... Great digital servos, smooth and strong and affordable.

Last edited by JusBox; 01-24-2006 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:18 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Buying used really depends on who you buy it from.

I personally would factor in the cost of buying a new motor regardless of what the seller says as the motor may be more used than what they let on or may have issues that don't show up till after you have it. An OS RG is quite popular for a first .21 engine from what I have read and puts out good power as well. for around $100 new, not a bad choice at all.

Usually with the chassis itself, you can get a good idea of its condition based on the pictures of it.

I always do a full teardown and rebuilt of anything I buy used, anything that looks suspect I replace with something new. I usually spend about 10 - 20 in new stuff for a used vehicle. I will be doing this during the week with my CEN Matrix that came in.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would not buy a used Ofna. They tend to wear out quicker than the Mugen, Kyosho, and Xray cars and so the used ones are quite often used up. The Jammin handles well but it does wear out quicker than the other three brands mentioned above. Personally I like the Kyosho for the best handling and very good parts durability.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

yes, but the kyosho isn't very nice to the wallet.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Nope, and you pay a lot for what you get. $500 for a Kyosho buggy and you still find yourself paying for the nice machined towers, braces, blocks, and other stuff that the other companies include.............
Old 01-24-2006, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Talking $500 where

$500, where did you see one that cheap? The cheapest I have seen is like $650.

Later,
Old 01-24-2006, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Nope, and you pay a lot for what you get. $500 for a Kyosho buggy and you still find yourself paying for the nice machined towers, braces, blocks, and other stuff that the other companies include.............
i know, where the heck did you see that price? the lowest i've seen is about $700. but i know what you mean by not including the upgrade parts. i mean what are you paying for? engine mounts pushed .125 inches towards the center of the buggy? a laydown steering servo? they make us pay a fortune just for that? what i think the big name companies are doing is making you pay for the name. just so that you can say you have a kyosho or mugen, they make you pay $300+ for a buggy that doesn't perform any better than one over half the price of the kit. sorry, just had to vent some steam there.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:38 AM
Tech Master

Have you actually driven an SP2?
Old 01-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

yes. nothing noticeably better than a jammin or an x-ray.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

BTW-i'm not trying to start a quarrel here, and i'm sure you're not either. i'm just telling you what my opinion is.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

I would tend to disagree on the SP2 being similar to an Xray. From people that have owned both I have been told that is not the case. Not to mention that the Xray is every bit as expensive and they have quite a few hopups for sale that some consider necessary.

I have heard the Jammin handles pretty well, but out of the box the stock shock towers can break (they have a new Factory Team kit to fix that problem), a lot of people also replace the diff outdrives with the lightened ones or the Kyoshos to get them to hold up.

The Kyosho SP2 comes with unbreakable shock towers now and even the older cars had pretty good towers from the factory. The stock chassis braces make the car handle better than the aftermarket ones. The steering knuckles hold up fine as long as it is above 60 degrees or so and they cost $9 to replace.

The rest of the car is as bulletproof as they come, but it will set you back $600-$650 upfront. The other cars are cheaper up front but can have a tendency to cost more in the long run. My SP2 with 8 gallons on it has new front arms (old ones were warped but not cracked), new shock o-rings, new wing, and new diff o-rings. Everything else is original. The body is pretty much shot now too.

Good luck with whatever you choose.