Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Where's The Love For Shortcourse? >

Where's The Love For Shortcourse?

Like Tree84Likes

Where's The Love For Shortcourse?

Old 04-26-2017, 01:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Where's The Love For Shortcourse?

So last Saturday, I finally took out my old Tekno 4wd SCT and drove it after over a year. I forgot just how much fun the thing is! As most others in my area, I've pretty much stopped driving Shortcourse. I still take out my SC5m every once in a while, but the Shortcourse classes around here have suffered from poor entry numbers and are often combined with Stadium Truck. Like most others, I have gravitated to Stock Buggy. I can't help but feel like the fun is missing in RC that used to be prevalent when we were filling up the race card with 3-5 heats of SC between 2wd and 4wd. I recently took off about two months because the fire just isn't there that used to be. I went back to the track a couple weeks ago and had a good time. But last week, I took out the SC on a practice day and what do ya know, the fun magically appeared! I've been frustrated with both Proline and JConcepts as I REALLY want a 2017 Ford Raptor SC body (not a True Scale, but a body made for racing). Neither company have been paying much attention to SC lately. Infact they're both paying more attention to Scalers and even Monster Trucks than they are to SC (I understand how hot the Scale market is, so that one's understandable, but not instead of SC, just should be in addition to it). First of all, I'm not an economist, but I did major in Business. Wheels, Tires and body's for SC's sell for more money than buggy's. SC's are also notoriously much harder on these 3 items than buggys, which means that they need to be replaced more often. Here's where my Business sense kicks in...call me crazy, but if SC's go through those 3 items faster than buggys and need to be replaced more often, would it not make sense for body, wheel & tire company's to support that class and make them more money? How do they do that? First, make their sponsored drivers drive that class in big races. The old adage, win on Sunday, sell on Monday applies here. Second, offer a steady stream of updated and new products for them like the 2017 Ford Raptor body (ah there it goes, full circle).

Also, Shortcourse helped give the RC industry a huge shot in the arm when it got big. Some of that might have had to also do with the fact that Battery and Motor technology finally had reached a point that kept people in the hobby that would have often been chased away by low run time and excessive maintenance. Anyway, I'm rambling now, but I'm just wondering, am I alone here, does anyone else here miss Shortcourse? Hey AE, how about an SC6/SC6D? JC and Proline, how about some new body's and wheels? Ok, that's all I've got for now!
Old 04-26-2017, 05:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was a die hard SC fan...until I picked up an EB48. Still love SC, but will pick the buggy first to drive always. The better handling,speed and a body that lasts longer than 5-6 batteries do it for me.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:13 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I don't understand the love for shortcourse. They look funny to me, the sound they make when they land, the poor by comparison handling, and so on. Seems like around me they replaced stadium trucks which used to be my favorite class many years ago. Wish they'd all disappear and stadium truck would come back.

But that's why there are so many classes available, something for everyone.
Eddie_E likes this.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think we all had one at one point.
They make great bashers and the slash 4x4 is still one of the best trucks to beat on.
They were fast at the track I used to race at but as usual the industry and people went back to what works.
1/10 scale race stuff.
and 1/8 of course...its kinda like monster truck and truggy as well
fun but are just not that track worthy
Old 04-26-2017, 07:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911 View Post
First of all, I'm not an economist, but I did major in Business. Wheels, Tires and body's for SC's sell for more money than buggy's. SC's are also notoriously much harder on these 3 items than buggys, which means that they need to be replaced more often. Here's where my Business sense kicks in...call me crazy, but if SC's go through those 3 items faster than buggys and need to be replaced more often, would it not make sense for body, wheel & tire company's to support that class and make them more money? How do they do that? First, make their sponsored drivers drive that class in big races. The old adage, win on Sunday, sell on Monday applies here. Second, offer a steady stream of updated and new products for them like the 2017 Ford Raptor body (ah there it goes, full circle).

Also, Shortcourse helped give the RC industry a huge shot in the arm when it got big. Some of that might have had to also do with the fact that Battery and Motor technology finally had reached a point that kept people in the hobby that would have often been chased away by low run time and excessive maintenance. Anyway, I'm rambling now, but I'm just wondering, am I alone here, does anyone else here miss Shortcourse? Hey AE, how about an SC6/SC6D? JC and Proline, how about some new body's and wheels? Ok, that's all I've got for now!
Well you have to realize consumer cost plays a role in this as well. That can be a deterrent. When you factor in that modern tracks CAN be somewhat heavy on tire wear, a person can save real money on consumables like tires and bodies be by running a slower class.

Not to be forget that R/C is a very fad oriented sport and guys change their mind because they get bored. Trying to get RC racers on the same be page is like trying to herd cats.
jpcopeland1 likes this.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911 View Post
So last Saturday, I finally took out my old Tekno 4wd SCT and drove it after over a year. I forgot just how much fun the thing is! As most others in my area, I've pretty much stopped driving Shortcourse. I still take out my SC5m every once in a while, but the Shortcourse classes around here have suffered from poor entry numbers and are often combined with Stadium Truck. Like most others, I have gravitated to Stock Buggy. I can't help but feel like the fun is missing in RC that used to be prevalent when we were filling up the race card with 3-5 heats of SC between 2wd and 4wd. I recently took off about two months because the fire just isn't there that used to be. I went back to the track a couple weeks ago and had a good time. But last week, I took out the SC on a practice day and what do ya know, the fun magically appeared! I've been frustrated with both Proline and JConcepts as I REALLY want a 2017 Ford Raptor SC body (not a True Scale, but a body made for racing). Neither company have been paying much attention to SC lately. Infact they're both paying more attention to Scalers and even Monster Trucks than they are to SC (I understand how hot the Scale market is, so that one's understandable, but not instead of SC, just should be in addition to it). First of all, I'm not an economist, but I did major in Business. Wheels, Tires and body's for SC's sell for more money than buggy's. SC's are also notoriously much harder on these 3 items than buggys, which means that they need to be replaced more often. Here's where my Business sense kicks in...call me crazy, but if SC's go through those 3 items faster than buggys and need to be replaced more often, would it not make sense for body, wheel & tire company's to support that class and make them more money? How do they do that? First, make their sponsored drivers drive that class in big races. The old adage, win on Sunday, sell on Monday applies here. Second, offer a steady stream of updated and new products for them like the 2017 Ford Raptor body (ah there it goes, full circle).

With regard to the bolded part, I think you may have neglected the other half of the equation, which you said yourself (in red): no one is running SC. If SC was dying because JConcepts wasn't making the right bodies/tires/widgets, that would be one thing, but that's not the case. Let's suppose for a moment that the profit margin and wear-rate are both greater for SC items (a safe/fair assumption IMO)... it's kind of a moot point if no one's running them to begin with. And sponsored drivers are running SC. TLR just released the SCT 3.0, and the SC5M was released this time last year.

Around here there is very little/inconsistent turnout for SC. SC mod is flat out dead (or I'd probably run it, TBH); sometimes a stock class can be pulled together, but usually not. In the meantime, we have multiple full heats of stock buggy and ebuggy, and at least one solid heat of 4WD buggy, if not two. Stadium truck is making a resurgence, too. I'm told that around here, SC is actually faring better than in most other places. That's not a good sign, and if that's even remotely true, then SC is on life support.

FWIW, I've seen all of these classes go through cycles over the 20+ years I've been in and out of the hobby. 5 years ago I actually bought a SC because 2WD stock had completely flat-lined. It sucked, but I moved on. Now it's THE most popular class at both of my home tracks. 4WD mod buggy has been all over the map since it first really took hold at the club level about 12 years ago. Some seasons it's dead, other seasons it's on fire.

Speaking of 4WD mod, I attribute its existence in its current state to JConcepts recognizing a demand that AE and Losi turned their backs to back in the early/mid 2000's. AE had no offering whatsoever and Losi's offering was an ancient fragile design that was more of a "here's a 4WD now be quit and go play" kit. What I'm saying is, JConcepts has quite a track record for listening to what people what, recognizing demand, and reacting accordingly.
JoeW likes this.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slodsm View Post
I don't understand the love for shortcourse. They look funny to me, the sound they make when they land, the poor by comparison handling, and so on. Seems like around me they replaced stadium trucks which used to be my favorite class many years ago. Wish they'd all disappear and stadium truck would come back.

But that's why there are so many classes available, something for everyone.
Funny how people can be so opposite, the love for 2wd buggy has never made any sense to me. Too fragile, too many cry baby drivers in the class.

4wd mod buggy on the other hand was a blast, still fragile especially with the increase in speed, but overall I loved that class.

4wd Short Course to me is the best class for having fun, the trucks can be run so much harder. The racing is so much more eventful, and nobody whines like a girl when their rig gets bumped.

For me though, Stadium Truck is the best class. I've always loved ST and I really wish it would make a bigger comeback.
fiery and Lukeman269 like this.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mvrk28 View Post
Funny how people can be so opposite, the love for 2wd buggy has never made any sense to me. Too fragile, too many cry baby drivers in the class.
Too fragile? Not if you have a modern kit. My B6D has proven to be darn near bulletproof. In fact, my son's SC10 has been benched twice in the last month: once with a broken chassis and most recently with broken rear pivots and broken rear arms. Bumpers are jacked, too, but who cares Granted if he had an SC5, the chassis might not be broken... who knows. Meanwhile, my B6D is fine

Cry babies? Meh, I've seen a cry baby or two in every class. But I suppose that's a matter of perspective. I suspect some of those "cry babies" are lamenting the "hacks" who think that racing amounts to simply shoving the other guy off the line and out of their way

But in all seriousness, I've enjoyed racing every single class at some point, but I always come back to 2WD stock. I don't know if it's because that's where I originally cut my teeth as a kid and there's a nostalgia factor, or if it's because that's where - at least IMO - you have racing at its purest (flamesuit donned). At the very least, I think it would be tough to deny that that the skill level and laptimes are tighter in stock 2WD than in any other class. Regardless, that doesn't always translate to "fun" for everyone. When I raced SC, I had a blast. Very little ego on the driver stand, no cut gears and motor-of-the-day... just good old fashion racing and rubbing.

I totally get the attraction to SC, but I've noticed that some people tend to get bored with it once they reach a certain level of competency. I'm DEFINITELY not saying that SC drivers are incompetent, but let's be honest - it's a great class for beginners. Once a beginner acquires some skill and wheels a 2WD buggy, they get a taste for the surgical precision it offers, and from that point forward their SC feels like they're wheeling an elephant around the track.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I started in 4wd SC with a SCTE then a SCTE 2.0. But I got tired of it for a few reasons...

They break parts fairly easily due to the 1/10 design. If they were driven like 1/10 buggies it would be one thing but they have bigger motors, bigger tires and a full wrap body for extra bashing power. People drive them like assholes.

The bodies get cracked and break after a few races.

The interior gets super dirty all over the electrics etc due to the body not hugging the chassis like a buggy. I hate trying to clean moist red clay off electrics...

So I switched to 1/8 buggy and 4wd buggy and haven't looked back. Bodies last forever, inside the buggy stays relatively clean and the cars rarely break parts.

Just my reasons for switching though....
Old 04-26-2017, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
I started in 4wd SC with a SCTE then a SCTE 2.0. But I got tired of it for a few reasons...

They break parts fairly easily due to the 1/10 design. If they were driven like 1/10 buggies it would be one thing but they have bigger motors, bigger tires and a full wrap body for extra bashing power. People drive them like assholes.

The interior gets super dirty all over the electrics etc due to the body not hugging the chassis like a buggy. I hate trying to clean moist red clay off electrics...

So I switched to 1/8 buggy and 4wd buggy and haven't looked back. Bodies last forever, inside the buggy stays relatively clean and the cars rarely break parts.

Agreed - honestly, I wasn't even referring to 4WD SC. Don't even get me started on those... Super fragile all around, parts (due to increased weight) and electronics (due to increased weight + 2S) alike. And people drive them like they have 10 minutes to live
JoeW likes this.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by JoeW View Post

That's my biggest gripe too. I despise marshaling a short course heat, they freakin crash into EVERYTHING. Running mod buggy people do their best to not drill one another just because of sportsmanship (they sure ain't as fragile as they were 15 years ago, I never break my buggy) but in SC they hit each other in the turns, in the air, on the straight, hell in the pits. SC seems like the class where people go to vent all their rage.
E1 Diablo and JoeW like this.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by slodsm View Post
in SC they hit each other in the turns, in the air, on the straight, hell in the pits. SC seems like the class where people go to vent all their rage.
It's funny because it's true
JoeW and greener74 like this.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I've always wanted to get a stadium truck since my first r/c was a mini-t, but short bus killed that class

I've always hated my SC10 and after getting a buggy, the short bus only sees track time when I'm too afraid to practice with my buggy, lol.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

2 to 3 years ago, we had enough SCT's for A and B mains. Most SCT drivers only had SCT vehicles. Our track design was SCT friendly (not strictly designed for 1/8th scale). As time went on the SCT guys saw the performance difference of the buggies (electric and nitro). While the SCT could make the 1/10th scale friendly double, the 1/8th buggies were skying the triple. It was a natural progression. The SCT guys starting buying buggies. Initially running both classes on race day, but eventually choosing buggy over SCT. Now we seldom get enough SCT's to get a class on race day.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:56 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by anthonyscardina View Post
I've always wanted to get a stadium truck since my first r/c was a mini-t, but short bus killed that class

I've always hated my SC10 and after getting a buggy, the short bus only sees track time when I'm too afraid to practice with my buggy, lol.

Yup, my first race car was a xxxnt, then I got into buggies with the xxx kinwald, then the B4 when it came out and so on. I had a beast of a little mini T as well I loved chasing the dogs with in the house. Stadium trucks and buggies are always my favorite classes. The only time my b6 has ever broken on the track was when I was hit by a short course truck who must have mistaken me for his natural enemy, finesse hahahahaha.

Anymore if they're on the track for open practice I only practice with my 1/8 scale because I can run away faster and if I can't get away it can take the hit lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.