Ball Diff Adjusting

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Callaway

Ball Diff Adjusting

Old 04-22-2017, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default Ball Diff Adjusting

What is a good way to tell if my ball diff is too tight or too loose?
I recently read something, thought I saved it but didn't, saying if I hold a tire(s) and the spur and pinion move, then the diff is too loose, and if just the spur moves then the slipper is too loose. Not sure exactly if that's what it said, but something close to that. Also something about holding one tire, spinning the other by hand, and depending how much that tire spins, tells if diff is too tight or loose.
I have also watched the youtube videos, just wondering what works best for everyone.
Does any of that sound right, or make sense?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-22-2017, 08:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rgrg2
What is a good way to tell if my ball diff is too tight or too loose?
I recently read something, thought I saved it but didn't, saying if I hold a tire(s) and the spur and pinion move, then the diff is too loose, and if just the spur moves then the slipper is too loose. Not sure exactly if that's what it said, but something close to that. Also something about holding one tire, spinning the other by hand, and depending how much that tire spins, tells if diff is too tight or loose.
I have also watched the youtube videos, just wondering what works best for everyone.
Does any of that sound right, or make sense?

Thanks in advance
Do not hold your tires and see if your spur and pinion rotate... that will bark your diff. Now if you are running mod buggy and checking your slipper like that, if you do happen to bark or slip your diff then you do need to tighten the diff. But you shouldn't be checking for diff tightness like that.

I set the vehicle on a stand and give the rear wheels a flick in opposite directions. Depending on how tight or loose you want it, you'll be between making 1/2 to 1 full revolution of the wheels when you flick them. If they rotate more than a full turn, that is very loose and usually you'll be risking barking the diff under hard throttle.

What vehicle you running? Racing or bashing? If you're racing, ask someone at the track to help you. A lot easier in person.
rgrg2 likes this.