Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Axial / LOSI cannot decide Help! headache! >

Axial / LOSI cannot decide Help! headache!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Axial / LOSI cannot decide Help! headache!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 06:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Axial / LOSI cannot decide Help! headache!

Great news for me! Going back to my old hobby! After many years of work work work! Now headache... Cannot decide Axial Yeti SCORE or LOSI Baja Rey.
I like the PL raptor body but it's for Axial. I like LOSI but not much option for aftermarket parts.

Would anyone of my fellow RC friends know if PL raptor fit LOSI Baja Rey...
Only got a 2 weeks to decide before my HK trip.

Michael
Old 04-20-2017, 09:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok...I only have experience with the Losi Rock Rey which is basically a slightly changed/upgraded version of the BR and the Axial Yeti rock racer.

First off...the Yeti needs parts...think 60% extra cost over the stock Yeti.

If you want comparable speed out of the Yeti to the BR on 2S, you will need a 3S setup in the Yeti. The BR will blow the Yeti away on 3S.

On 3S the Yeti needs:

Different ESC as it's an egg fryer and will stay crazy hot (thing 75 degrees C just cruising along at walking speed) if you live anywhere apart from the north pole. My stock ESC was awful. A HW SCT 120 MAX10 was a fantastic upgrade and cheap. The stock ESC only liked going flat out but naturally just stayed crazy hot rather than blow up hot if you kept bashing on it.
All aluminium links throughout
All servo horn
HD bevel gears front and rear
Alum rear lockouts
Alum C hubs and knuckles
Alloy rack by the looks of it
Alum rear trailing arms

Think Vanquish...they are expensive but at least tough so you'll only cry once.

Now if you don't bash it too hard, that will be fine. If you don't have all that gear, you will just constantly be ripping it apart (possibly every battery) and you'll hate it.

The RR needed an alum servo horn. Nothing more. No new bearings or special stuff.

I take the RR out and bash it harder than the Yeti and guess which one comes home broken or making odd noises. I think I though have got the Yeti to a pretty solid point now though it still keeps of pulling wheels off the bead locks so new wheels are in order next...then MIP driveshafts...on it goes with a Yeti.

It's a nice truck but honestly not worth it compared to the Losi's. The 2sp is a consideration for the Yeti but it sucks as a crawler.

Buy a modded second hand one and you'll likely be far happier from the get go.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi Rockrunner
Thank you so much for a great info and advice.
After reading your reply and digesting it now it is
clear to me to grab the LOSI Baja Rey!
Brads/Michael
Old 04-21-2017, 05:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Im not too familiar with either platform, but I have looked extensively at both designs. Just something important to me if I was looking to buy either vehicle. Losi is nice but axial seems a little more harmonious, and aftermarket parts are a dime a dozen if that sort of thing matters to you.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

went back to 1/8 scale after running the scale stuff...
too many moving parts and stupid little problems with drive shafts and bearings.
if you want the realism and don't mind wrenching then the scale stuff is fun and they do handle in there own special way.
the yeti score could be held wide open almost the entire battery geared up on 3s.
it was fun but like a said there are better options out there if you choose.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by monsterbrad
went back to 1/8 scale after running the scale stuff...
too many moving parts and stupid little problems with drive shafts and bearings.
if you want the realism and don't mind wrenching then the scale stuff is fun and they do handle in there own special way.
the yeti score could be held wide open almost the entire battery geared up on 3s.
it was fun but like a said there are better options out there if you choose.
I kind of have the same problem you do. I've been racing simple platforms for ages (SC10 2wd kits, TC4 shaft drive 4wd kits, etc) and I never had issues. I wrench and adjust the cars quite frequently. It's easy for me.

My problem is I bought this new tc7 kit. I built it easily, no problems, even the shocks and the belts (which I've not experienced until then), but wrenching on the car and even just prepping it for a race is... difficult. The belts get in the way, a lot, and it's impossibly hard to replace the spur gear. The motor is really hard to adjust for different size of gearing, and doesn't accept nearly as varied of gear ratios as my shaft drive tc4s. The belt system is really annoying. It bound up and made the motor cog at full steering lock, so I had to reduce that, and all sorts of stuff. It's just a pain in the you-know what. I haven't gotten the chance to actually race it yet, but UGH. Not fun.

Apart from my new TC7, I'm just going to stick to those "simple, outdated, slow" kits that I actually understand good. People think that you need the best of the best cars in racing, but really you don't. All you need is a race-worthy power-system, and mad skillz.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

I don't wish to rag on the Yeti as I actually really like it. I guess I'm just pointing out that the value is questionable if you want a straight up, no mod machine that gives a great level of fun.

My son and I have a RR, Yeti, SCX10 and RR10 Bomber.

The Bomber is probably my favourite truck TBBH. They are easy to work on and for their intended purpose (crawling and some basic rock bouncing) a load of fun and very tough. It's fun to just drive around and not be limited like a SCT or other RC as they easily crawl over rocks and up stuff the other trucks get quickly stuck on. They aren't 'that' fast but definitely still go ok on 3S with 550 sized brushed motors.

The Yeti once beefed up is basically a slower, slightly smaller, less smooth, lawn darting RR for all intents and purposes. It's got a steel gearbox etc and overall is decently built. Once beefed up it'll be very reliable.

I personally LOVE the scale aspects of these trucks and that is what attracted me to the hobby in the first place.

I am unusual I guess as I have ZERO interest in an RC that is nothing like a car/truck of at least some sort. The driveshafts and solid axle gear is awesome. I honestly don't care if the truck goes 5km/h slower over a series of bumps because it has a solid rear axle. I just want reliable and loads fun and love the look and ease of maintenance of a solid rear end.

The scale stuff like ThePanda said has so many aftermarket parts. If you want hot up stuff, beef up or things like winches, they are there.

I also love driving them around at night with lights so this is cool too.

The Yeti as a rock racer is great fun but I wouldn't go the Score over the Losi in a pink fit.

The RR is clearly just a better truck period. Losi/HH really did their homework.

The Yeti 2.0 will probably be everything the Yeti 1.0 should have been.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:47 PM
Tech Initiate

I actually have both a Yeti score TT and a Baja Rey. Stock for stock the Rey wins hands down. I also have the proline raptor body for my yeti and man does it look good. The yeti needs a pinion upgrade and needs to be run on 3s to get any kind of reasonable speed out of it. The Rey runs good on 2s out of the box. The upper links will bend on you if you jump a lot. Get the incision ones for 11 bucks and never worry about it again. I destroyed the stock driveshaft and rear lower links on the yeti jumping it. Get a MIP drive shaft and some aluminum lower links and you will be good. The steering on the yeti leaves a lot to be desired. Rey steers much better. It really depends on what you want to do. If you like working on them as much as running them, get the yeti. Aftermarket parts are plentiful. The Rey only needs a couple up grades and it is good to go.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your inputs.

After realizing I wanted a hobby where I can spend time
tinkering and fixing. I opt to get the Yeti (kit version).

15 years ago when I had this hobby I enjoy disassembling and assembling r/c.
I found it fun and maybe boring to some but that what I can see about this hobby.

Losi is a very great platform but I don't see much things to do because its already a great platform, unless something really breaks.

Anyways, thank you again.

Michael
Old 04-29-2017, 07:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

The Yeti definitely isn't a fragile egg once built up so don't feel too worried. I took a chance on one and found that it's pretty tough but I paid under half the cost of a new RTR and it had another few hundred on Vanquish and metal parts already in it. New ESC, HD gears and new bearings were expected from the get go.

I would say that even with the somewhat upgraded kit you likely still need to get the following done to not chew it out every few lipos...the RTR probably even wouldn't last a lipo in RTR config on 3S by all reports.

Consider the Hobbywing SCT MAX10 120A ESC as it's great. Very affordable, powerful, configurable and it runs cool on 3S even in very hot weather when run slow (this is really important as flat out even smaller ESCs like the AE-3 run cool - but they are horrible going slow and detest the heat).

All aluminium links throughout
All servo horn
Alum rear lockouts
Alum C hubs and knuckles

The trailing arm braces may be ok for a bit but you likely need the Alum rear trailing arms like Vanquish. I've heard the rack is fragile too so a VP alum rack is likely on the cards too.

Consider though the Axial RR10 Bomber if you want to build a kit.

That truck is just all round great. It'll bash, it's rock race, it'll trail and unlike the Yeti, it will crawl. It's the best all round truck I have and I would not trade my Bomber for a Yeti; the Yeti would be kicked out for the Bomber anyday. I'd have to seriously consider my Rock Rey too as I like the Bomber so much.

A 3S 3000kv brushless Bomber with adjustable drag brake which was widened with Yeti hubs and had the suspension tuned would be seriously awesome and cost about as much as your Yeti build up. Probably would be tougher too in the long run due to the solid front axle. It wouldn't handle quite as good but it would be a great go anywhere truck unlike the low and constantly stuck Yeti (when going offroad).