R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   bought the SC10 stadium truck, now what buggy ? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/984902-bought-sc10-stadium-truck-now-what-buggy.html)

67GTO 04-16-2017 02:11 AM

bought the SC10 stadium truck, now what buggy ?

hi, I bought the SC10 stadium truck ( rockstar ) brushless for my 10 year old boy and he is doing great with it, now I want to buy another truck or car to race with him on the dirt clay track , we are both learning, I want to get a really good buggy I can use till he masters the truck then I will let him take over the buggy, he is still a bit rough on the truck so will let him run it till he calms down a bit and knows how to look after the cars....

I been advised the RC10 B6D would be the way to go next, any thoughts on this would be great, is this the best buggy or are there other options ?

one other thought is I seen a guy running a really fast 4wd buggy at the track he was drifting and really hanging in there, what the thoughts on the 4wd buggys ? thanks....

jeff jenkins sr 04-16-2017 02:28 AM

Rc10B6D is a good buggy for outdoor tracks, so it the Schumacher KD, 4wd buggy the rc10B64D is a good choice.

mustangkillaz 04-16-2017 04:10 AM

There are several choices. Consider parts availability and budget first. Then you can make an educated choice. I recently picked up a d216 and a xb2. I believe they are two of the best out there.

fredygump 04-16-2017 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by 67GTO (Post 14900767)
hi, I bought the SC10 stadium truck ( rockstar ) brushless for my 10 year old boy and he is doing great with it, now I want to buy another truck or car to race with him on the dirt clay track , we are both learning, I want to get a really good buggy I can use till he masters the truck then I will let him take over the buggy, he is still a bit rough on the truck so will let him run it till he calms down a bit and knows how to look after the cars....

I been advised the RC10 B6D would be the way to go next, any thoughts on this would be great, is this the best buggy or are there other options ?

one other thought is I seen a guy running a really fast 4wd buggy at the track he was drifting and really hanging in there, what the thoughts on the 4wd buggys ? thanks....

Are you limiting yourself to a 1/10 scale? That's what's being discussed right now, and it will be roughly the same size as your son's truck, although the 1/10 buggy has smaller wheels than the stadium truck. They're mainly used indoor, because of limited ground clearance (I'm told...). I've only seen two 1/10 4wd buggies run, and half of them broke...I gather they're a big fragile.

If you're talking a buggy that is somewhat bigger than your son's truck, you're talking a 1/8 buggy. That's like the apex predator of the RC food chain!

I commented about this on your previous thread, so this may be a bit of a re-run... :D

The 1/8 size buggies seem to be the ideal size for maximizing strength, precision, speed, handling, etc. They go like stink, they handle precisely, and they are more durable than 1/10 scale, especially 1/10 4wd.

I started with 1/10 4x4 short course, tried 1/10 stadium truck, and even 1/10 indoor oval...but I quickly found out that I much prefer 1/8 scale. And my only regret is that I wasted so much money buying the 1/10 trucks, when for the same cost I could have started out with a 1/8 buggy!

EbbTide 04-16-2017 10:18 AM

Truthfully I would lean more toward the associated b6d since you've already got an associated car. Their parts support is tremendous and while I'm not exactly a huge AE fan, it's hard to deny how well the b6d has done for itself as far as conpetition, durability and parts cost goes. So if you really want a 1/10 buggy, the b6d would be my choice

rustyus 04-16-2017 10:27 AM

What fredygump said ^^^

If I had to get rid of all but one of my RCs, the one platform I would be keeping...my 1:8 scale eBuggy is RC nirvana for me. I wish I would have got one many years ago.

Sure, the initial cost IMO is a deterrent for a lot of people. I know it was for me. The durability makes up for it. I especially like the heft of 1:8 scale buggies. Couple that with 4wd, and everything just seems to be/feel more planted.

If your local track is only suited for 1:10 scale, then I'd buy whatever buggy the track shop has parts for. Also,if you have what others are racing, it'll be easier to get setup help should you need it.

fredygump 04-16-2017 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by rustyus (Post 14900976)
What fredygump said ^^^

If I had to get rid of all but one of my RCs, the one platform I would be keeping...my 1:8 scale eBuggy is RC nirvana for me. I wish I would have got one many years ago.

Sure, the initial cost IMO is a deterrent for a lot of people. I know it was for me. The durability makes up for it. I especially like the heft of 1:8 scale buggies. Couple that with 4wd, and everything just seems to be/feel more planted.

If your local track is only suited for 1:10 scale, then I'd buy whatever buggy the track shop has parts for. Also,if you have what others are racing, it'll be easier to get setup help should you need it.

It is natural to assume 1/8 buggy is a lot more expensive than 1/10 4wd buggy, but I don't think this is true at all. (I believe he was impressed with the 4wd buggy he saw at the track, so I'm ignoring the 1/10 2wd buggy option.)

Comparing kits from the same mfg, the 1/10 buggy costs 20% less than the 1/8. But you will quickly make up the difference on spare parts! And heaven forbid if you start "upgrading" the thing! "Upgrading" is the obsession of the 1/10 crowd, for some inexplicable reason...

And if you use Tekin electronics, the RSX + Redline kit suitable for 1/10 4wd buggy costs $10 less than the much bigger RX8 + T8 buggy or truggy combo.

Batteries needed for 1/8 buggy are double the voltage, but not necessarily double the price.

The servo price should be the same, although the two size vehicles require servos with different characteristics.

And even the tires are very nearly the same price! This surprises me, because of the significant size difference. ($18.99 vs 18.25 for a set of 2 AKA Typo tires with foams)

And don't forget that the radio, receiver, transponder, tools, etc are going to be the same.

Granted these are US $ prices. I don't know if the comparison holds true in Australia?

Eddie_E 04-16-2017 01:42 PM

The B6D is your best bet for 2wd buggy classes, assuming your not running a huge 1/8 scale track. It's the most durable of the 2wd and it's smooth, fast and easy to drive. If you have high grip tracks to run on get the regular B6. I race a B6 on turf/carpet and B5M Lite
on clay/dirt.

For 4wd 1/10 scale the B64D looks good and AE plastics are good, but early reports show some small issues from being a first run vehicle. If your going 4wd it really has to be an Xray XB4. It's the strongest, fastest and the most expensive 1/10th 4wd buggy and it is a marvel of German engineering.

Keep in mind that wheeler will have 3 times the wear on drive-trains and tires that a 2wd will have. I will only race my wheeler if the track surface is loose fluff on a hard slippery base and even then I run mellow motors like a 13.5 boosted or a 9.5 blinky setup. Sponsored drivers run a 6.5, but they know and accept the high wear.

67GTO 04-17-2017 04:47 AM

3 tracks closest to me all run 1/10 no 1/8, st ives rc, castle hill rc, ryde rc, so 1/8 is not an option, all are outdoor on dirt, and from what I hear the most popular cars raced are 2wd buggys, my boy did ok today first time racing only had the truck a few weeks he did 3 races novice mostly against buggys got 4th then 3rd then 2nd, so soon he will be ready for a buggy, and I need something so probably this week I will buy something and it looks like the B6D I guess, I did think about another truck the RC10 SC5M, and maybe will later, but seems buggys are the most popular raced so I guess its buggy time....thanks for the thoughts seems everyone is ok with the b6d

bobf24 04-17-2017 08:30 AM

it sounds like your local shop sells associated and 2wd is the big class locally so just go with the B6d,

since you said all the tracks locally are 10th scale only you shouldn't have any major durability issues with it. The only time they really break is when you get on huge air 8th scale style tracks.

67GTO 04-19-2017 03:59 PM

I read somewhere new models get released every year, if that's correct when might the new model or update be for the B6D I'm just wondering if I should wait.....

EbbTide 04-19-2017 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by 67GTO (Post 14904322)
I read somewhere new models get released every year, if that's correct when might the new model or update be for the B6D I'm just wondering if I should wait.....

I don't think there are any plans to replace the b6d for a while. I haven't even heard rumors of a new one. So I'd still pick up a b6d. But you could find a great deal on a used chassis so you don't spend retail just incase something new does hit the streets in the near future

bobf24 04-20-2017 05:05 AM

most companies dont really release totally new models every year. They might release an updated ".2" model or something but you would be fine buying a B6 or B6d and run if for a few years. I'm still running a B5m and it works great for the tracks I'm running on,

67GTO 04-20-2017 05:27 PM

ok that's what I'm hearing now after looking into it, so I will go look at the b6d today, and let the hobby shop guy guide me to what motor, remote etc I need....thanks

the incubus 04-21-2017 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by fredygump (Post 14901063)
It is natural to assume 1/8 buggy is a lot more expensive than 1/10 4wd buggy, but I don't think this is true at all. (I believe he was impressed with the 4wd buggy he saw at the track, so I'm ignoring the 1/10 2wd buggy option.)

Comparing kits from the same mfg, the 1/10 buggy costs 20% less than the 1/8. But you will quickly make up the difference on spare parts! And heaven forbid if you start "upgrading" the thing! "Upgrading" is the obsession of the 1/10 crowd, for some inexplicable reason...

And if you use Tekin electronics, the RSX + Redline kit suitable for 1/10 4wd buggy costs $10 less than the much bigger RX8 + T8 buggy or truggy combo.

Batteries needed for 1/8 buggy are double the voltage, but not necessarily double the price.

The servo price should be the same, although the two size vehicles require servos with different characteristics.

And even the tires are very nearly the same price! This surprises me, because of the significant size difference. ($18.99 vs 18.25 for a set of 2 AKA Typo tires with foams)

And don't forget that the radio, receiver, transponder, tools, etc are going to be the same.

Granted these are US $ prices. I don't know if the comparison holds true in Australia?

Sorry but a great deal of what you've written is incorrect.

I now run 1/10 exclusively because I run outdoors and I can attest to the fact that while the 1/8 buggies are marginally more expensive than 1/10 buggies, the tire budgets are nowhere near similar. For a full set of tires for a 1/8 buggy you're looking at roughly $30 and if you plan on racing seriously, you need 3 sets per each vehicle per race day. 1/8 buggies are heavy and is why they handle so much more realistically than 1/10 vehicles (which are more difficult to drive) and because of that, tires are done in a single run.

So if you run 2 heats and a main that's 3 sets. Now, if you encounter issues and land in the B or lower mains and bump up, add another set for each main you bump up from.

With 1/10 vehicles you can run 1 set for both qualy runs and a fresh set for the main and be good. The same applies whenever you have to bump up and true off-road (non-gummy clay tracks) tend to be more abrasive and can contribute to excessive tire wear, but it affects 1/8 more than 1/10.

And 1/8 is not the go to class for serious racers. That varies from area to area and different classes are more popular in certain regions. Here we have a healthy mic of 1/8 ad 1/10, but 1/10 is more heavily popular by a considerable margin. On top of it all 1/10 offers MANY more classes than 1/8 and you can run 2 cars for the same budget of a single 1/8 car.

And having run most every class, including 1/8 scale, 1/10 4WD is the most fun of them all. It's by far and large the most popular class for 1/10 and we have 2-3 mains for Mod and 13.5 and 1/10 2WD buggy is about as plentiful in both mod and 17.5.

Going with the Associated cars is your best bet being as you already have their Short Course and are familiar with their stuff, but once you're really adept you can look to other brands that catch your eye. With online parts support today, get what you like and have fun!