R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-19-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default How to make a hand out motor fast?

So what tricks do you use? This is for off-road trucks.
LosiSuperTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:26 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (95%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosiSuperTruck
So what tricks do you use? This is for off-road trucks.
this website helped me more than anything when i was looking for ways to make my motors faster

www.motortuningsecrets.com
stevenmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:47 PM   #3
Tech Master

thanks
Old 01-19-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (95%+)

no problem bro

and yes it really helped me,i was unsure at first but man what a difference.
stevenmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:26 PM   #5
Tech Elite

No amount of tuning tips will make a slow motor fast. Sometimes an electric motor just isn't a good one, period.

Handout motor tips:
Trinity 4499's
Break in motor for ten minutes, whatever voltage you want (you can even run the thing if you want). Cut the comm down to "tiny". Cut it every run until the weekend is over, and throw it away.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:29 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

If you want the hugest resource of motor tuning info ever goto http://www.rccars.com/forums/forumdi...?s=&forumid=19
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:57 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I hate to say it but Aarons right. some motors just suck. some times when they are being wound by a machine, they have loose windings. I've had motors that spun a loose wire, and it ended up getting clipped between the armature and the can. I've also had motors drilled out so much that armature laminations spun off.

I always look for tight windings, and compare motors that draw alot of watts. if it pulls alot of watts, before you touch it. I think you might have potential. Do the whole polishing mumbo jumbo, alignment and such and if it is a big race, cut it after every round, and install new brushes.

usually you have a couple hours to kill between rounds anyway.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:24 AM   #8
Tech Elite

It's stock/spec class racing. I'm serious..there is no amount of polishing/straightening/trimming/cleaning/dyno'ing/lubing you can do to make a bad motor good. Spec class racing is ALL about batteries and how good the motor was when it came off the assembly line. Buy two stock motors off the shelf (and unless one really just sucks) I will beat you with both motors in a drag race because I have crazy batteries. Spec class racing is just a luck of the draw, and batteries

Break it in, cut it, put brushes on it, and go. Drive the wheels off of it and don't worry about having motor.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:42 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
No amount of tuning tips will make a slow motor fast. Sometimes an electric motor just isn't a good one, period.

Handout motor tips:
Trinity 4499's
Break in motor for ten minutes, whatever voltage you want (you can even run the thing if you want). Cut the comm down to "tiny". Cut it every run until the weekend is over, and throw it away.
is 4499 the most powerful brush for stock?

Last edited by offroader; 01-20-2006 at 06:47 AM.
offroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:09 AM   #10
Tech Master

Aaron, so what am I looking for in a battery? Seems these numbers on the label are just that, a label and have little to do with performance.

I have a Turbo 35, when discharging at 30 amps here are some numbers I see.

Avg Voltage @1 (I can't remember the exact wording) I have a couple batteries that give 6.75, these batteries are 1.16+ on the labels. I have some 1.19+ batteries that give 6.45. Whats up with this?

Can the average joe like me get batteries like you? Are you doing crazy stuff like chargine at 8 amps because you don't care about battery life?

Wehn you say cut the comm "tiny", about how much is this on calipers? Say .280? How "tiny" is too much?

Now about tuning, the only hood alignment tool my LHS had was this one by parma that appears to align them both at the same time. Also, I looseded the screws and it can't see how you can even align 1 hood at a time. So hood aligning is overrated? From the article seems very important.

BTW, for other newbs, home depot and lowes won't have the 2000 grit paper...I had to go to an auto store.

One last thing, when I run my motor on my Turbo 35 at 2.5 volts I see number in the 4.00 - 4.75 range with my P2K2 and 5.00 - 5.80 range with my monster stock. This is after a cut and new brushes, no other tuning. Are these good numbers?

Thanks for all the help...I will tune my first motor for this weekend to see if it helps.

Last edited by LosiSuperTruck; 01-20-2006 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:01 PM   #11
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I use the tips that the Late Big Jim provided me with when I was racing stock and 19 turn. My motors works much better using what he provided me with knowledge wise.

The best brush I used at the time was the 767 as it wasn't as RPMish as the 4499 as I recall. The 767 didn't beat up the comm as bad either.

Most important thing he taught me was to have the brush hoods properly aligned, especially in stock racing. This means aligning it so the brush wears down the middle and not aligning the hoods straight across from each other. you really need to get an alignment bar like what jim was selling. I think trinity has a bar that may do the trick. Avoid the racer's edge bar, its way too small for the hoods and you will just mess something up.

I also used tribo which works great. brushes would last longer and I noticed a little more power. Main thing was the brushes would last longer for me at least. But make sure you DON't put alot on the brush and don't use brushes that already had some compound on them.

I also drilled a hole in the brushes as well, can't remember the size I think it was a #42 bit? This was all on a P2k2.

Finally, I made sure I kept the comm trued up and made sure the springs had the right tension right after. don't rely on the color coding of the spring, get a spring tool and measure it.

There are probably other tips, etc. and battery do play a BIG deal in stock racing, especially onroad but at least your motor should scream too.

By the way, you may also want to look into the XXX brush as well. I used these in 19 turn awhile back ago and was quite happy with them. may not be the all out power monster brush, but they do last a LONG time and i didn't have any brush burning issues.

By no means am I motor tuner, just did what he said and it worked out for me.

Last edited by Cain; 01-20-2006 at 12:20 PM.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:17 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Offroader - I had the best luck with 4499's and 4505's. 4499's have long been the standard and seem to be more consistent than 4505's. I'd like to say that 4505's made a little more power but I never ran them back to back.

I don't pay attention to dyno sheets, I've never aligned a set of brush hoods, I don't read any stupid black books of motor tuning, period. Stock racing is simply getting the luck of the draw and having batteries. I have a P2K2 and batteries that will kill any stock motor/battery combination you could ever buy off the shelf, and that's all there is to it.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:40 PM   #13
Suspended

i have always had very good luck with handout motors. i am assuming they are the blue endbell handouts. just put in 767 and red springs on both sides and break it in for 300 seconds at 2.5 volts. after taht skim the com and break in for 120 seconds. bolt in car a have a very fast motor. there is no need to cut the com down unless you are using the motor for one weekend. even tehn it will not make much differnece.
THE_REAL_FROBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:49 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

wow
Old 01-20-2006, 11:38 PM   #15
Tech Master

I'm not too sure I'm sold of this tuning thing like Aaron said. I did exactly as the tutorial said and my motor was actualy WORSE than when I started. I have no idea if the brushes are wearing in the center as these 767s don't seem to show any weare at all in over 600 seconds of break in. They seemed to wear in the center with the cut off brushes like in the tutorial, but the new brushes show no wear at all

Do you put comm drops on the comm? I ask because my motor just plain puked after putting trinity formula 2000 drops on...I had to clean it all off.

My motor was reading at 5.80 before I started, it was at 4.7s after. It spins very free, jusyt like bearings, but crappy numbers. And the spings are new, and it was shimmed properly.

I used Cain's tip with the drilling the brushs, this was by far the best tip ever. Went from 4.7s to 9.5s and broke 10 for a few seconds!!!!!

So I have mixed feeling about this, seems the brush drilling is really the only thing required. What do oyu thinks?

Also, Aaron what numbers should I look for in a good stock battery. I mean average discharge. I don't need to know your actual numbers, just tell me good numbers that would be available to me. I have been sold a few bad deals on my quest for god stock batteries So I need to know the right questions to ask.

Thanks