R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-19-2006, 07:30 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Avantage of going to Jammin from Mayhem?

I currently race a sportwerks mayhem pro and am competative with it at my local club.....but sometimes I wonder if I'm missing something by not using one of the "hardcore race buggies" and with the Jammin pro price getting eaiser to swallow every day I'm starting to really wonder if it would be worth the switch. I am asking for the informed opinion of racers who have raced both the Mayhem and the Jammin if there is a true tangible " whoa this buggy is easier to drive and my lap times are getting better" difference or if the landscape is all cloudy with hype and brand loyalty and at the end of the day a well tuned, setup, equiped and driven Mayhem doesn't hold you back at all. Thanks, Jared
Jared Fournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #2
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

At your club is there anyone there who races the Jammin so you could try the vehicle out? It may be valuable to get a feel for the Jammin first hand along with opinions as well. Kind of like the Losi vs AE thing, some like one, others like the other. If they tell you what they like, it may not necessarily work out for you.

Good luck on what you decide!
Old 01-19-2006, 08:02 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

A well set up Mayhem is a capable car but a well set up Jammin should beat it every time. The Jammin's jayout is also much easier to work on (diff access) and setup information from National A-main level drivers is readily available. The Jammin is a more up to date design and I'm gonna' say that you will defiently be faster with it.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:16 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Unfortunately no, There is only one local with a Jammin but he's never had it to the track, at least while I was there, I think he has 5 buggies and the Jammin is his self queen. Pretty much the only time I see many Jammins in action is when we have our big races, Nitro Challenge, Money Race, Buggy Shootout, and Firecracker Challenge and there are a lot of people from St. Louis, Chicago, Indiana, and everywhere in between there. Last year being my first race season I was not yet comfortable enough with everyone and my skills to try much of other peoples equipment till right at the end of the season. At which time I tried a Mugen mbx-5 and an X-ray and to be honest they didn't seem to do anything better than my Mayhem but I also realize it's hard to gather any usable information in just 5 laps with a buggy setup for someone else that I had no previous wheel time.
Jared Fournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:43 AM   #5
Tech Champion

The Jammin is based on the design of the Kyosho Kanai 3 buggy with improvements that make it act somewhat like the 777. What you should notice between the Jammin, Mugen and Mayhem is that the Jammin and Mugen will be easier to drive in the rough and they should both allow you to drive harder. Don't get me wrong, I drive a MBX5 and the guy I raced most closely with all year drove a Mayhem. We both agreed that my buggy ran better (especially in the rough) so I bet he would have beat me consistently if he had my buggy to run.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:59 AM   #6
Tech Elite

I'm not trying to start a flame war but the Jammin was based off of the Hong Nor (OFNA) 9.5 Pro not the Kyosho Kanai3. Now the 9.5 Pro closely resembles the K3 but there are too many subtle differences such as the split center diff support among other items.

Jay Halsey was designing hop-up parts for the 9.5 before he started working on his own design. When he did then he borrowed much from the 9.5. Take a look at how the clutch bell pinion's mesh with the spur is adjusted, the center split housing, the brake adjusters just to mention a few. It's a very good buggy like most of the others.

The Mayhem is a good buggy also. I would base my choice on which kit has the better support at the track and LHS. At my track the buggy of choice is the Kyosho followed by the Mayhem, X-Ray and Thunder Tiger then the OFNAs and a couple Mugens. So at this track it comes down to Kyosho or Mayhem.

Last edited by AreCee; 01-19-2006 at 09:14 AM.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:48 AM   #7
Tech Champion

I know he started with a 9.5 (it was the Hong Nor car they had to work with at the time) but Jay himself said that for the X1cr they began with Kyosho K3 and worked on improving that chassis specifically. Many Kyosho K3 parts fit directly on the Jammin.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:14 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Which parts from the K3 fit on the CR-1? Not the knuckles or bulkheads or shock towers, maybe the drive shafts?
Old 01-19-2006, 03:46 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The advantage is you will win races and break less parts

Bone$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:12 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Front tower is a direct fit, diffs fit (I think). It is very K3ish.
I don't own one but a friend gave a Jammin owner a K3 shock tower to finish a day of racing and it was a direct fit.

Jared, the Jammin (or Mugen or Kyosho) are all going to be easier to drive fast. Will it make you the regional champ? Not likely. Buy you will experience better handling and durability with all three of those cars.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:44 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Interesting. One part may have fit on someone else's buggy that you heard about but you stated that K3 parts DO FIT and you don't even own one too.

I do own both Kyosho and Hong Nor 9.5 and believe me no parts are an even fit except for some screws, linkage parts, turnbuckles, wheels and tires. The Jammin CR-1 is even more different than the 9.5 which intuitively means that even fewer parts fit. Of course in a pinch you can always try drilling new holes to mount the parts but that's pretty hack and doesn't guarantee that it will work as desired.

Kyosho diffs may work since OFNA is selling the same torsen for both makes.

Last edited by AreCee; 01-19-2006 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:11 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

AreCee,

I can tell you from experience that, in a pinch, a rear universal from a K3 will fit the front left on a Jammin after you cleaned it off on a wall.

Scott
rccars4scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:26 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Good one

The universals are close but just off enough that you need to modify things a bit, the pin hole is too close on the K3. I did try though.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:52 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have owned both cars both well setup. I didnt think either car broke easier than the other. They handle abuse well. the only real gripe i had was that the mayhem's chassis is a bit soft and the clutch bell contacts it regularily. This car was great on bumpy tracks because of this. I know several guys still running the mayhem and do well so dont feel your doomed with the car.
The jammin is a great buggy and i won some of the biggest races in the state last year with it but even after several months the car still didnt turn in like the mayhem did.so....
schmelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:56 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Coke vs. Pepsi, I won't get involved in the argument of Jammin vs. Mayhem (you know which I'd get though...)

The X1-CR (and now the pro kit) shares NOTHING with the 9.5, save the wheels and wing. Jay started with the most dominant platform of the time (the K3) and made improvements to make it a faster car.