Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Opinions on 1/8 buggy + truggy from same mfg? >

Opinions on 1/8 buggy + truggy from same mfg?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1/8 IC Fan

Opinions on 1/8 buggy + truggy from same mfg?

Old 03-17-2017, 12:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Opinions on 1/8 buggy + truggy from same mfg?

Hey, I'm getting back into RC after selling my stuff to make the down payment on a house...

I need some help understanding the current selection of RCs.

I want a 1/8 buggy and truggy from the same manufacturer.

I want them to have pivot ball front suspension, because I've struggled to get enough steering with c-hubs.

I want both trucks to be solid performers, both durability and handling characteristics.

I want to support a company that will have spare parts available when I need them!

I will be running on loose dirt or the local natural mix of clay & sand that becomes hard packed with loose fine sand on top. In other words, slippy and slidy conditions. I've never raced on an indoor clay surface, and there isn't anything like that nearby.

My previous beast was a DEX408T, which never had enough steering, on or off throttle. I think the problem was the lazy caster angle. I almost got it to work by using the most aggressive c-hub...and minimum kick-up setting. But still, almost, but not quite.

My driving style is more finesse. I'm looking for racing lines...sometimes I turn left to go right, but more often I will use the brakes, try to hit the apex, and smoothly accelerate out of the turn without violent wheel spin.

A local backyard track owner raved about how good the MBX6 was, but how lazy the MBX7eco is. And he was running a Sworkz S350(?), which he praised for huge steering throw and adjustability. He seemed to believe it was about the best, atleast for his track, which was made from black dirt.

But yeah, any thoughts on a Sworkz buggy + truggy? Amain has the S35-2E on clearance, but the "3E" isn't listed yet... Is the Sworkz gonna fit the bill? Or should I look elsewhere?

Or should I be looking at Mugen? Associated? I'm looking for something I can run for a few years and be reasonably certain of future parts availability. (Yes, I'm talking about you, Team Durango....)
Old 03-17-2017, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Not a pillow ball, but TLR definitely don't have to worry about parts and a lot of stuff is interchangeable between the buggy and truggy! Also, can find parts dirt cheap on ebay too!
Old 03-17-2017, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tekno EB48.4 & Tekno ET48.3
Old 03-17-2017, 12:55 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 255 (100%+)

Ironically the car with probably a ton of steering is the Tekno EB48/ET48 and it doesn't use the Pivot ball suspension setup.

As for what your limitations are and you appear to be in the region, you probably will see guys running a lot of Mugen relative to your needs.

As for the Sworkz, I got to drive the S35-2E. If they had a better network in the USA, I probably would have bought one that day as it was a beast, period, I was highly impressed and it was basically an out of the box setup.

As for Associateds vehicle I haven't seen one of these up close, but the word on the net is that its like a more loose mugen, so it may have the steering you are looking for and probably would be very easy to get parts for.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
Tekno EB48.4 & Tekno ET48.3
A couple years ago my nemesis was an et48.(?) with the biggest motor I've ever seen. I don't know what size it was, but it was significantly bigger than a ROAR legal truggy motor...it barely fit in the truck. Even on a tight course, I struggled to keep up.

But I heard the buggy version isn't the best on loose surfaces? Is that true? Or has that changed with the EB48.4?

And just based on the numbering system, should I be expecting an ET48.4 to drop soon?
Old 03-17-2017, 01:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Ironically the car with probably a ton of steering is the Tekno EB48/ET48 and it doesn't use the Pivot ball suspension setup.

As for what your limitations are and you appear to be in the region, you probably will see guys running a lot of Mugen relative to your needs.

As for the Sworkz, I got to drive the S35-2E. If they had a better network in the USA, I probably would have bought one that day as it was a beast, period, I was highly impressed and it was basically an out of the box setup.

As for Associateds vehicle I haven't seen one of these up close, but the word on the net is that its like a more loose mugen, so it may have the steering you are looking for and probably would be very easy to get parts for.

In my mind, the advantages of the pivot ball is not overall steering throw, but caster angle adjustment. And hopefully less slop in the steering?

I realize the range of adjustment designed into the car is independent of the linkage type...so a c-hub can easily have a more aggressive angle. Back when the DEX8T came out, it looked good at first, but then I noticed the range of adjustment on the upper arms was limited (only 2 clips). And of course they don't disclose what the range of caster angles actually is...

But with the pivot ball, I have the option to trim some plastic off the upper arm to get it to slide further forward, if the designed adjustment range isn't adequate. But with a c-hub, I only get the options the mfg decides to give me...and have to disassemble the front end to make adjustments.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:08 PM
Tech Adept

I second the Tekno suggestion. You'll have all the steering you could ever want out of both buggy and truggy. I haven't driven the .4 model yet but I've heard good things. Tekno has indicated the truggy is staying at .3 for awhile because it's already good. Tekno parts are also always in stock which is more than I can say for most manufacturers. I almost bought some mugens recently but every time I go shopping the kits are on backorder.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Mugen! Its such a great series, the MBX7R and TR Eco. I cant complain, and neither does my son. We have run them since the regular MBX7 came about, and are on the R's now. I race with an aggressive front End Bias, and he is more 50/50. He only runs truggy as of now. I run both. I can't stress the quality, yet have to admit the Tekno cars are there too, just dont have the history of the Mugen brand. I held a ET48.3 and ET48.4 and was impressed. but even with both there is a lot of interchagability with the buggy and truggy on either. And parts for the Mugen are plentiful online, amd you dont need a ton of spares for the Mugen!
Troubles Dad likes this.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
Mugen! Its such a great series, the MBX7R and TR Eco. I cant complain, and neither does my son. We have run them since the regular MBX7 came about, and are on the R's now. I race with an aggressive front End Bias, and he is more 50/50. He only runs truggy as of now. I run both. I can't stress the quality, yet have to admit the Tekno cars are there too, just dont have the history of the Mugen brand. I held a ET48.3 and ET48.4 and was impressed. but even with both there is a lot of interchagability with the buggy and truggy on either. And parts for the Mugen are plentiful online, amd you dont need a ton of spares for the Mugen!
What conditions/track surfaces do you run on? And is the "front end bias" you mention weight distribution?

How about steering geometry/adjustability? On loose surfaces?

And how much play in the steering? I'm assuming the pivot balls make it pretty tight?

The only thing I know about Mugen is that the mbx6 had very sharp handling characteristics, too much for a lot of people...and the mbx7 was much more mellow, way too mellow for the people who liked the 6. How does this mbx7r/tr compare?
Old 03-18-2017, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredygump View Post
What conditions/track surfaces do you run on? And is the "front end bias" you mention weight distribution?

How about steering geometry/adjustability? On loose surfaces?

And how much play in the steering? I'm assuming the pivot balls make it pretty tight?

The only thing I know about Mugen is that the mbx6 had very sharp handling characteristics, too much for a lot of people...and the mbx7 was much more mellow, way too mellow for the people who liked the 6. How does this mbx7r/tr compare?
I run on loamy as well as hardpack. Occasionally I run overseas on astro-turf and grass sections.

I have it setup more responsive in the front and loose in the rear, I rely more on my front ends responsiveness.

I think compared to the MBX6 it responds more predictably and is more forgiving. This is based on having only run an MBX6 Eco - not the truggy or nitro car.

I like it, and maintanence is easier than when we ran Kyosho.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

Sorry Tekno guys...I decided to go the Mugen route. I ordered the MBX7r Eco. All my parts should be here Thursday, so I'll have some fun this weekend. It'll be the first time I built a brand new kit.

I briefly considered a used nitro Sworkz, but the seller never responded...and I don't really want to annoy my neighbors too much, 'cause then they might stop me from using the public land/flood plain behind my house as a race track.

About steering, I found out that Mugen has two sets of "uprights" (front hub/pivot block/thingy?), for extra caster adjustment. Stock is more aggressive, (presumably more like the mbx6?), and the option part is less aggressive, like the original mbx7?

I feel more confident that I will get it to handle the way I want. I'll probably find out that my problem all along was that the Durango just wasn't very good on loose surfaces. When Durango released the DEX8, they admitted it was because they couldn't make the previous design work in all conditions.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

As matt said to everyone there is no new truggy coming out as they are happy with the truggy next car be out is the eb410