R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Best 1/10 4wd buggy? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/981385-best-1-10-4wd-buggy.html)

Zefo977 03-12-2017 07:54 PM

Best 1/10 4wd buggy?

I no everyone has there own opinions and will fight an argue about this topic.. don't wanna hear that just wondering between B64d, xray, kyosho , losi ect. What is everyone running An liking right now .. I've had the b44.3 and liked it and I love my d413s! But wanna try something new now...was wanting the B64d but not hearing any good news or feed back on that buggy so it's pushing me away. Need help picking a new buggy!

EbbTide 03-12-2017 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Zefo977 (Post 14867650)
I no everyone has there own opinions and will fight an argue about this topic.. don't wanna hear that just wondering between B64d, xray, kyosho , losi ect. What is everyone running An liking right now .. I've had the b44.3 and liked it and I love my d413s! But wanna try something new now...was wanting the B64d but not hearing any good news or feed back on that buggy so it's pushing me away. Need help picking a new buggy!

Wait for the Tekno eb410 if you really want something brand new.

SpongeX 03-12-2017 08:04 PM

I'm liking my zx6.6 but I'll be checking out the tekno when it's released.

Alan_r 03-12-2017 08:30 PM

The best 4wd buggy is....

The one you own.

tc5 man 03-12-2017 08:31 PM

HB D413 downright strong jumps better than the others just me priced decent . Does need some upgrades though and tuning on higher grip to calm down the steering and aggressiveness .

Volition 03-13-2017 12:51 AM

I'm having success with the Schumacher Cat K2 it'd beautiful a piece of art. However, I run it in a stock class which is popular in Australia. The guys who ran it in mod gave up on it as it's engineered too close to the edge of performance and would break too much.

The b64, hot bodies & x-ray are fast here & also reliable. Actually b64 yet to be totally proven but from what I've seen it is taking a reasonable beating ok. Ray Munday and his son were flying on the weekend. You can't go wrong with them if wanting a big motor. The k2 would be awesome for 10.5t and slower, it's quick.

greener74 03-13-2017 07:31 AM

I drove a B64D for the first time this weekend and box stock it was .3 faster per lap then my 22-4 it was pretty awesome. I was impressed.

66sschevy 03-13-2017 07:36 AM

Some of the B64D at our track were breaking parts. Think it was something with the steering and another guy broke the shock tower mounts, think was actually the bulk head. He did hit something pretty hard though.

How about the Yokomo YZ4 heard it was a good car with some upgrades. I'm thinking to try one.

bmag5000 03-13-2017 10:17 AM

both the losi and associated are good choices. xray isnt popular in my area or id try it too.

JRSlash 03-13-2017 10:37 AM

Pretty much it will depend on the driver these days. I raced my dex410v5 two days ago against a field of mostly b64d's and the top 3 was. 1.tlr 22-4 2. AE b64d 3 TD dex410v5. All of them looked great on the track and we were separated by a few seconds. It was all about the driver skills. Most of them nowadays are very durable and parts a accessible (some more than others). At the end will be what brand are you loyal to or what catches you eye because any of them can win a race any day.

Zefo977 03-13-2017 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by EbbTide (Post 14867653)
Wait for the Tekno eb410 if you really want something brand new.

I'm getting that too but in the mean time I like to have a couple different set ups ..

Zefo977 03-13-2017 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by greener74 (Post 14868029)
I drove a B64D for the first time this weekend and box stock it was .3 faster per lap then my 22-4 it was pretty awesome. I was impressed.

That's what I like to hear 👍🏽

Zefo977 03-13-2017 12:13 PM

For sure gonna get the Tekno when it drops because I'm a Tekno guy .. but for now might still try the B64 or xray

JAE 03-13-2017 12:48 PM

Anyone know if Tekno is carrying on with their heavy duty manufacturing style? I imagine they need to build a lightweight buggy that can catch the 13.5 wheeler domestic market. Just dont know if its worth holding out for, if it is going to resemble the SCT410 (only if you are running 13.5)

EbbTide 03-13-2017 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by JAE (Post 14868388)
Anyone know if Tekno is carrying on with their heavy duty manufacturing style? I imagine they need to build a lightweight buggy that can catch the 13.5 wheeler domestic market. Just dont know if its worth holding out for, if it is going to resemble the SCT410 (only if you are running 13.5)

I'm pretty sure they have no other option but to go with a lighter/alternative design. But I fully expect it to still be durable.

All the info we've got on it is in the official EB410 thread. Which sadly isn't much yet.

symmetricon 03-13-2017 01:41 PM

Xray is the obvious choice atm. Proven durability and performance.

LOW ET 03-13-2017 01:56 PM

what type of track surface do you plan to run on?

Zefo977 03-13-2017 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by LOW ET (Post 14868452)
what type of track surface do you plan to run on?

I run both out doors that are little loose and grove up at night then also hard clay super high bite traction

LOW ET 03-13-2017 02:53 PM

id be looking at the xray, serpent, or wait for the new yokomo that maifield is working with. if tekno is gonna drop a car maybe wait and see what it looks like too.

Cain 03-14-2017 12:45 PM

I would expect that the new Tekno will be taking into account current racing trends for whatever they make. I wouldn't be surprised to see as options at least things that could be useful in both spec racing as well as carpet racing, assuming the initial vehicle is oriented to outdoor usage.

The big thing in general i have seen with 4wd vehicles these days is that they are significantly more durable than what we used to have. Keep that trend going please :)

I do hope that for HB sake they look into some updates as the car is really good. Give it a nice facelift like exotek has from the aftermarket could be great, especially a slipper setup.

Norse 03-15-2017 05:27 PM

Honestly it all comes down to personal preference. KYOSHO, TLR, XRAY, HB, YOKOMO, SWORZ, SCHuMACHER, TD, SERPENT, CASTER, TAMIYA all have Comp. wheelers. Thus again it comes down to what works best for you.

Rcforlife13 03-15-2017 05:40 PM

Wow. No talk about the 2016 X-ray xb4 hands down. A tank and drives like a touring car

racingnewb 03-15-2017 05:46 PM

Another vote for x-ray, I got the 16 and it's a tank. 8 races so far and not 1 broken part. I'm new to this hobby and race at a track w/ metal jumps/landings so I've put it to the test. It's the easiest buggy to work on which is a big plus for me. Parts aren't cheap but they are very high quality that fit/wear well.

Alan_r 03-15-2017 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Norse (Post 14871029)
Honestly it all comes down to personal preference. KYOSHO, TLR, XRAY, HB, YOKOMO, SWORZ, SCHuMACHER, TD, SERPENT, CASTER, TAMIYA all have Comp. wheelers. Thus again it comes down to what works best for you.

like I said earlier, the best wheeler is the one that you own and drive cleanly with... I think the question "what is the best wheeler" is entirely to broad. A better question is "which wheeler is easiest to work on? " or "which wheeler required the least maintenance or repair for you last season? "...something more specific.

tc5 man 03-15-2017 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rcforlife13 (Post 14871043)
Wow. No talk about the 2016 X-ray xb4 hands down. A tank and drives like a touring car

Well if anything with that buggy it is parts support and depending were you live and race at its not that popular compared to HB, AE, Losi 4wd buggys.

tc5 man 03-15-2017 05:50 PM

Easyiest to work on i wouldn't say HB, Losi or any belt driven buggy are it does help a good bit with a drill driver though . I own a D413 and getting to the Front and Rear diffs are a bit of a pain not the center really i don't think. Wear wise i don't think the D413 is that bad Losi not sure of Xray proberty the best .

Strongest for sure HB and Xray.

Xray and i believe AE are the easyiest to work on.

ZEe_NYC 03-15-2017 06:18 PM

whichever one your local track/shop stocks parts for.

Honestly the only way the hobby/tracks survive is if you spend time and money at them.

tc5 man 03-15-2017 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by ZEe_NYC (Post 14871088)
whichever one your local track/shop stocks parts for.

Honestly the only way the hobby/tracks survive is if you spend time and money at them.

The way everything is on backordered not sure it would make a difference right now. But yes if you have a LHS or local track which i don't i do buy some small stuff though if its reasonably priced there.

JRSlash 03-16-2017 05:31 AM

Well the easiest wheeler on maintenance, hands down is the Durango dex410v5. The center diff comes out by removing a "pin". Front and rear diffs are 4 screws take the cover off and the diff housing comes out with the driveshaft.. It literally takes me less than 10 minutes to take a diff out, change oils and get it in the track.

That's about it... the car is either middle of the road or mediocre on everything else.... durable but is kinda middle of the road. Parts and setup support is way beyond mediocre..... that's my opinion not an actual fact. I do own the car and how the car performs in the track kinda makes it up for all the downfalls.

Chris Reilly 03-16-2017 06:04 AM

Anyone that thinks one is better than the rest is delusional. LOL! Someone spiked the kool-aid. :) I bet I could get a bunch of them and have the same result.

Woulvesbaine 03-16-2017 10:38 AM

I have the xb4 2016 and Team C TM4. Both are great. My friend seems happy with his B64d.

If you're in the US, choose between the xb4 or the B64D and you'll be happy with either. Xray will require less parts replacement, but parts are more expensive.

I've also owned the Durango (v3), a couple of Yokomos, and Losi cars (but old ones, xx4), and I'm really impressed by the xb4 and TM4. They both kind of have it all. Durable, easy to drive, easy to maintain.

Team C is slowly getting its act together back in the US so if you want something different the TM4 is an option, just get yourself a handful of extra parts. You don't need to go crazy as it uses the same pistons in its shocks as AE.

jk6672 03-16-2017 10:45 AM

I think my orange shock nuts are going to make mine faster,;)

the incubus 03-16-2017 10:52 AM

Having driven literally every single car that can be considered on the list (less the YZ-4 and SRx4), and now running the SB401 for as couple of years now, I can unequivocally say the DEX410 is the best overall car for a vast number of reasons.

The ease of maintenance as JRSlash pointed out is second to NONE. I mean the pull-pin is the most ingenious thing I have ever come across on an RC vehicle. While you'd think the system being so easy to take apart might not be robust enough to hold up for very long, it is factually quite the opposite. My son now has my 410v3 and it still has all the original parts for the center slipper and it is still as tight today as it was almost 5 years ago, with zero play.

And while we've all heard about fit and finish of components being legendary among many vehicles, including that of "luxury" brands :rolleyes:, no 4WD kit I have ever assembled was quite as precise as the DEX410 and maintained such precision through years of running. There is still no play anywhere on my son's 410 (I change the cups to TLR/Kyosho ones which I've found to be the most robust and precise fitting in the industry).

The 3 areas in which the 410 does not rank the best in my experience are…

1. Stock Ball Cups (which they've revised several times over - haven't tried the latest iteration, but I swapped them out as described above and that literally becomes a non-issue)

2. Factory Hinge Pins - Not sure if they've changed the material as of yet but for $5 you can buy hardened pins from McMaster and it would be rare to break or even bend one.

3. Very rigid and robust plastics for the arms, and really it's not a weak point in my experience. (this makes them tend to snap rather than bend but if you don't drive like a maniacal bat out of hell, they hold up perfectly well and don't develop slop over time. There was a large batch of the B-Spec arms that were brittle but they rectified the issue and all has been superb since then)

The weakest thing about the 410, and now any Durango vehicle is that the brand is circling the drain since it's parent company has filed for bankruptcy and parts have become increasingly difficult to find. Sad because I still find this one of the most innovative RC kits around and most of it's innovation is really due to keeping things simple.

Having said all that, most of today's top quality race kits all perform quite similarly and you will more than likely be pleased with any of them. The biggest difference in performance will come from going with either a Shaft Driver car vs. a Belt Driven car, and with each type you will find some are simply smoother than others.

For Shaft Driven cars I'd say the 410, XB4 and 46 are equal in smoothness but the XB4 & 46 are a tad easier to drive out of the box because for whatever stupid reason Durango continues to include the 19° front blocks, but swap those for the 21° blocks and the car is Butter.

For Belt driven cars it's a tossup between the 22-4, SRx4 and the YZ-4 because they're all so smooth. Choosing between belt driven cars will come down to what type of track you race on the most, but I remember reading that Yokomo will be offering the YZ-4 2 models (can't find the link ATM) like the YZ-2 in the very near future – Carpet & Dirt – so keep that in mind when narrowing down your decision on a belt driven car should you opt to go that way.

Hope this helps.

Pinkz 03-16-2017 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Norse (Post 14871029)

TLR, HB, Kyosho, Xray, Yokomo 2 fat belt car, and now AE of those is all i have seen in person and usually end up marshaling for that class.

TLR outdoors, plants, rips, and sticks better than any of the above, they are extremely fragile in towers/arms and in drive train compared to other cars

Kyosho, had one driver with it, he sold it and got a Xray. told me they were about the same in cost but xray is stronger

Xray, car appears near bomb proof, i have seen drivers that are running 4.5 to 6.5 motors do some crashes, get marshaled and off they go

Yokomo they seem killer when set up right and running, we have two drivers with them. appears yokomo is backwards engineering and testing going back to a previous shaft drive design, saw talk of it during desert classic race in arizona

AE pretty much looks like a xray, kyosho on the track. doing real well

HB imo, on near equal status with xray in bomb proof department

running indoors, xray is so much more reliable and less breaks

Pinkz 03-16-2017 11:17 AM

i was reading in the durango thread, a designer is now working working for serpent and that the new SDX4 will be shaft drive and looks near identical to the durango 4wd people are having a hard time getting parts for

just found a WIKI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_D...petition_Buggy
The original Durango was developed by Serpent Racing from the Netherlands who teamed up with Gerd Strenge to develop a Serpent-Branded 4WD electric buggy based upon prototype cars designs and built by German racer Gerd Strenge, calling the car the S500. The car was a radical departure from the slab-sided hand-machined prototypes when it first saw the light of day at Nuremberg 2008 however the economic climate meant the car never went into production. Fortunately Gerd Strenge and his designer Michael Vollmer formed at the end of 2008 the brand ‘Team Durango’ was formed launching a redesigned S500 called the DEX410 and making it available to the mass market since September 2009. For many years before then prototype cars designed and built by Gerd had noticeable success against the larger commercial builders on the European racing scene.[1][2]

egalsim 03-16-2017 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine (Post 14871693)
I have the xb4 2016 and Team C TM4. Both are great. My friend seems happy with his B64d.

If you're in the US, choose between the xb4 or the B64D and you'll be happy with either. Xray will require less parts replacement, but parts are more expensive.

I've also owned the Durango (v3), a couple of Yokomos, and Losi cars (but old ones, xx4), and I'm really impressed by the xb4 and TM4. They both kind of have it all. Durable, easy to drive, easy to maintain.

Team C is slowly getting its act together back in the US so if you want something different the TM4 is an option, just get yourself a handful of extra parts. You don't need to go crazy as it uses the same pistons in its shocks as AE.

I absolutely LOVE my Team C TM4, so easy to drive and configure for different tracks, but due to US parts support, I can't recommend it. Go with the Associated B64d; it has a huge company behind it and parts should start to be plentiful at tracks that carry Associated, you should also be able to adjust it to any track condition. I don't recommend the Losi 22-4 just because of the access to the belt is difficult, and I'm not a fan of belt drive off road vehicles.

tc5 man 03-16-2017 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkz (Post 14871726)
TLR, HB, Kyosho, Xray, Yokomo 2 fat belt car, and now AE of those is all i have seen in person and usually end up marshaling for that class.

TLR outdoors, plants, rips, and sticks better than any of the above, they are extremely fragile in towers/arms and in drive train compared to other cars

Kyosho, had one driver with it, he sold it and got a Xray. told me they were about the same in cost but xray is stronger

Xray, car appears near bomb proof, i have seen drivers that are running 4.5 to 6.5 motors do some crashes, get marshaled and off they go

Yokomo they seem killer when set up right and running, we have two drivers with them. appears yokomo is backwards engineering and testing going back to a previous shaft drive design, saw talk of it during desert classic race in arizona

Yea the Losi looked good but after i seen there a pain to work on with the belts and saw more than one break everytime .

I wanted something that is strong and wear wise not terrible and can be pushed hard setup right which is the D413 the easyiest to work on to get to the Front and Rear diffs thank god for a drill driver.

M3CSLDreamin 03-16-2017 06:27 PM

My zx6 seems to work just fine. I would like to try a belt car though.

Norse 03-17-2017 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkz (Post 14871726)

I run 2 YZ4's thus one 13.5 the other mod on low to med bite dirt and clay tracks. For myself it has been the best wheeler I have owned and I have owned just about every wheeler out, with the exception of TD V5, TM4, HP SB401 and Casters wheeler. I have been able to drive the TM4 and the SB401 as two of my friend have them. Great wheelers!

The YZ4 keeps getting better. Wrenching time via the diffs obviously is not quick however I have not had any breakage besides the front kit arms, which has not been an issue since Yokomo fixed as well as releasing their +1 graphite blend front a arms. Options per lipo types and layout are endless which is a great for tuning. Saddles transverse or longitude, brick packs dido, dual 1s pan style packs (super lcg being super thin) dido, shorty transverse or longitudinal as well. Offsetting shortys, bricks while longitudinal, and saddles is an option as well. ESC placement has tons of options.
With JG's new slipper stress on the whole drive train is reduced, rear end stays planted and the need for extra weight is eliminated. Belt skipping on high bite eliminated.
Negatives one can spend a ton of money dropping in all the options but for myself it worth it. Wheeler is the only class I had the hardest time truly finding a platform that I absolutely loved thus I finally did with the YZ4. First YZ4 I purchased I was impatient thus did not give it anytime which I should have been patient being it was a new platform and at the time there was really no upgrades available.
Again my opinion is what ever wheeler suits someone's likes that best for them.

RacerL 03-18-2017 07:12 AM

I'm just returning to the R/C scene. Back in January I decided to go with another 4wd buggy. I looked at very car on the market at the time, even the B64. I didn't want a belt driven car, and I wanted something new. The Serpent SDX 4 was the winner. I'm happy with my purchase, and I can't wait to put this thing together.