Like Tree218Likes

4wd stadium trucks!

Old 03-12-2017, 09:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 129 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ROSCOE View Post
PR 4wd truck

PR RACING
The video sucks a little...BUT it shows the chassis being used in a common scenario and i get to see its handling in, probably, stock form w/o a bunch of slo-mo crap and odd angles/gfx that obfuscate what's really happening.

I'd much rather watch this to judge a chassis than a flashy seizure-inducing fast-facts piece.

It's a narrower chassis and the shocks are too stiff...that's fixable. I'd like to try one, maybe several if it didn't break all the time.

Also, let's not forget yokomo, ayk and hirobo - I made truck wheels fit, although it wasn't easy

Fun for sure, but only the hirobo had usable kick and w/o that, they dig in unless all the jumps are complimentary.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

I wonder if this is the rebrand from PR Racing?
http://www.casterracing.com/b2b/inde...roduct_id=1470

Old 03-15-2017, 07:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Doesn't look like it based on what you can see of the arms.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Oh, one more thought: Jang from URC converted a Stampede 4x4 into a Rustler 4x4. You could do the same if you're really super desperate for a 4WD stadium truck that has manufacturer support. Yes, I know, it's Traxxas, but you'll live.
I built one. Its absolutely fantastic and can easily keep up with mod 4wd buggies.
Stampede 4x4 truggy:
3800kv Castle 4 pole
Sidewinder SCT
Savox 1257
Hot Bodies wing and wing mount
Jconcepts Rulux Slash 4x4 wheels
Jconcepts Super Soft Pressure Points
Slash Platinum Edition Center diff w/ 10k fluid
Slash Platinum Edition sway bars, black bars front and rear
Slash Platinum Edition GTR shocks w/ 35F and 37.5 rear oil, 2 hole pistons
5k front and rear fluid(diffs are sealed stock!)
Ofna Hyper 10TT body mounted as low as possible

see pic attached of the original setup. ill get updated pics tonight. I also have video.
Attached Thumbnails 4wd stadium trucks!-truggy-9.jpg  
HappyGene likes this.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kevinatfms View Post
I built one. Its absolutely fantastic and can easily keep up with mod 4wd buggies.
Stampede 4x4 truggy:
3800kv Castle 4 pole
Sidewinder SCT
Savox 1257
Hot Bodies wing and wing mount
Jconcepts Rulux Slash 4x4 wheels
Jconcepts Super Soft Pressure Points
Slash Platinum Edition Center diff w/ 10k fluid
5k front and rear fluid(diffs are sealed stock!)
Slash Platinum Edition GTR shocks w/ 35F and 37.5 rear oil, 2 hole pistons
Ofna Hyper 10TT body mounted as low as possible

see pic attached of the original setup. ill get updated pics tonight. I also have video.
Cool!....where you gonna race it?
Old 03-15-2017, 12:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Cool!....where you gonna race it?
Just for practice at our local track here in MD. No one will start the 4wd truggy class as everyone is in 2wd mod buggy or 4wd mod buggy. So i just go and run it around and try to beat as many of the buggy guys as possible.

Only classes i will run are 2wd mod buggy and 4wd short course. But it is quite fun when the thing runs low 18s(mod buggy fast lap is like 17.8) and everyone is asking what the weird white thing is.....then you tell them its a Traxxas.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:48 AM
Tech Regular

Here are some pics from last night of the current setup. Works great for a hard packed clay track and feels/reacts like a mini 1/8 scale buggy.
Attached Thumbnails 4wd stadium trucks!-img_1777%5B1%5D.jpg   4wd stadium trucks!-img_1782%5B1%5D.jpg   4wd stadium trucks!-img_1779%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by kevinatfms; 03-16-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:55 AM
Tech Regular

more...
Attached Thumbnails 4wd stadium trucks!-img_1780%5B1%5D.jpg   4wd stadium trucks!-rsz_img_1778%5B1%5D.jpg   4wd stadium trucks!-rsz_img_1783%5B2%5D.jpg   4wd stadium trucks!-rsz_img_1781%5B1%5D.jpg   4wd stadium trucks!-rsz_img_1782%5B1%5D.jpg  

HappyGene likes this.

Last edited by kevinatfms; 03-16-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Kevin, have you done any research into getting any particular brand of ST wheel to mount on your Shapeshifter Truggy?

More info here worth a read to include some in depth width measurements:
Wanted: Stampede 4x4 Roller/Slider - Wanted - veteran members only @ URC Forums

I had already bought the 10TT by the time it was brought to my attention that the possibility exists to fit some brands of ST wheels.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
Kevin, have you done any research into getting any particular brand of ST wheel to mount on your Shapeshifter Truggy?

More info here worth a read to include some in depth width measurements:
Wanted: Stampede 4x4 Roller/Slider - Wanted - veteran members only @ URC Forums

I had already bought the 10TT by the time it was brought to my attention that the possibility exists to fit some brands of ST wheels.
I havent and dont think i will.

Im also kind of baffled why ROAR doesnt allow the SCT wheel/tire package in 4wd stadium truck. If they want to start this class they need to lax the rules up a bit in that respect. I would still not allow 1/8 scale buggy wheels or something like that, but a 2.2/3.0 wheel should be allowable if it keeps the truck under the 13" width requirement.

I dont see this class taking off. I built the truck to troll people on practice days and just have fun tearing the track up. If they did ever try to run the class i would petition to have the 2.2/3.0 wheels allowed.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kevinatfms View Post
If they did ever try to run the class i would petition to have the 2.2/3.0 wheels allowed.
Thanks for the thoughts, I totally understand where you're coming from, especially when the chassis you've chosen was designed specifically for 2.2/3.0 wheels, but I can speak of first hand experience when our club expanded the 13.5T Super Stock 4WD Buggy class and I was doing lots of experimenting to get the best possible performance out of my stock racer. One of the things I found was that running lighter 2WD front wheels on the front of my 4WD car provided significantly less rotating mass which gave me an advantage and some folks weren't happy with my results. That's when I reached out to ROAR to get clarification on the rules and they confirmed what I was doing was 100% legal.

In contrast, I can see how SC wheels are lighter, and have less foam thickness which can be advantageous on high traction surfaces so I don't think it would be realistic to run both wheel types in the same ST class without folks throwing a conniption. Some folks blew a gasket when I ran 2WD wheels on a 4WD car, I can't begin to imagine the out-lash of SC vs ST wheels, ha!

FWIW,

I once owned a Hyper 10SC conversion to Buggy and yes, it was extremely competitive too

I wouldn't hesitate running SC wheels on my 10TT if the rules allowed it
HappyGene likes this.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
Thanks for the thoughts, I totally understand where you're coming from, especially when the chassis you've chosen was designed specifically for 2.2/3.0 wheels, but I can speak of first hand experience when our club expanded the 13.5T Super Stock 4WD Buggy class and I was doing lots of experimenting to get the best possible performance out of my stock racer. One of the things I found was that running lighter 2WD front wheels on the front of my 4WD car provided significantly less rotating mass which gave me an advantage and some folks weren't happy with my results. That's when I reached out to ROAR to get clarification on the rules and they confirmed what I was doing was 100% legal.

I wouldn't hesitate running SC wheels on my 10TT if the rules allowed it
Then they need to amend the rules to allow it. The Hyper TT would still have competition from the Stampede, Bullet Flux, Vaterra Halix let alone plenty of other monster truck based vehicles that can be converted. It would be a nice open class limited by motor and battery limits.

2s, 540 or 550 motor, 4 pole
2.2 outer bead wheel required, other bead is open
truck body - cab forward or regular
wing - body attached or buggy style
13" wide max

sounds easy enough...

Last edited by kevinatfms; 03-16-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

yup......pass the popcorn !
Old 03-16-2017, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Well, one of the big reasons ROAR doesn't allow SCT wheels on stadium trucks is because the tires have a larger diameter. That not only increases the distance traveled per wheel rotation and therefore makes it easier to gear for high speed, it also changes the suspension's response to small bumps -- larger tires roll more smoothly over small bumps, a fact that has (rather irritatingly) driven the adoption of "29 inch" wheels for mountain bikes in the past decade or so, whereas "26 inch" has been the standard for far longer. (the sizes are in quotes because neither size is actually accurate.) Because of this, the selection of mountain bike tires has suffered greatly, because now manufacturers have to make the same tires in multiple sizes whereas before they only had to make one size, so to compensate they make fewer tread designs -- but I digress.

However, the 2.8" wheels used by Traxxas on their stadium trucks are fitted with low-profile tires, offered by Pro-Line and Duratrax in addition to Traxxas itself, and those low-profile tires have the same diameter as normal stadium-truck tires. The larger wheels offer enough clearance for the 4Pede's large steering knuckles while the tires conform to ROAR specs, so it should be a lot easier to petition for that exception to the ROAR rules vs. petitioning to allow SCT wheels and tires on stadium trucks.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Well, one of the big reasons ROAR doesn't allow SCT wheels on stadium trucks is because the tires have a larger diameter. That not only increases the distance traveled per wheel rotation and therefore makes it easier to gear for high speed, it also changes the suspension's response to small bumps -- larger tires roll more smoothly over small bumps, a fact that has (rather irritatingly) driven the adoption of "29 inch" wheels for mountain bikes in the past decade or so, whereas "26 inch" has been the standard for far longer. (the sizes are in quotes because neither size is actually accurate.) Because of this, the selection of mountain bike tires has suffered greatly, because now manufacturers have to make the same tires in multiple sizes whereas before they only had to make one size, so to compensate they make fewer tread designs -- but I digress.

However, the 2.8" wheels used by Traxxas on their stadium trucks are fitted with low-profile tires, offered by Pro-Line and Duratrax in addition to Traxxas itself, and those low-profile tires have the same diameter as normal stadium-truck tires. The larger wheels offer enough clearance for the 4Pede's large steering knuckles while the tires conform to ROAR specs, so it should be a lot easier to petition for that exception to the ROAR rules vs. petitioning to allow SCT wheels and tires on stadium trucks.
If its an advantage then use it....EVERYONE can use them.

Last edited by kevinatfms; 03-16-2017 at 06:52 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service