Like Tree319Likes

4wd stadium trucks!

Old 03-10-2017, 05:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ROSCOE View Post
PR 4wd truck

PR RACING
this might be in my future looks cool, where can i get one?
Old 03-10-2017, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by strodedawg View Post
this might be in my future looks cool, where can i get one?
I'd hit up Caster Racing since they seem to be a distributor for PR Racing/Hobby Pro. It's not listed in the link below, but all the other Hobby Pro cars are.

PR Racing Kits
Old 03-10-2017, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Contacted them and say the PR kit is a special order, haven't received a response on price yet
Old 03-10-2017, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

RJ, thanks for bringing me into this thread, glad to see the handful of us in Austin aren't alone with bringing the class back into style! I could careless what the trolls on this thread claim about the class not coming back, only thing that matters to me is what happens at our local track

Originally Posted by aspiringracer View Post
Hyper tt could be considered a track oriented car but it doesn't seem to steer well enough to please many.
I recently bought one after selling off my collection of 10TT's a couple years ago with plans to redesign the steering geometry. My tuning skills have since improved and I felt confident that I could tackle the issue. Our local track (Thornhill Racing Circuit) brought back the 2WD ST class because they hosted a ROAR regional event, although the class hasn't really exploded with popularity yet, there has been a fair amount of chatter with preference for 4WD and that prompted me to start exploring with the 10TT further:
BUILD/REVIEW: HoBao Hyper 10TT (1/10 4WD Stadium Truck) - Stadium Trucks & 1/10th Buggies @ URC Forums

So far, I'm fairly happy with the results of my working prototype Ackermann bar, I haven't track tested it yet due to the 1/10 building structure getting destroyed, but the program is constructing a new building with plans to resume 1/10 racing in a few more weeks (going from Clay to Turf too) and I can't wait to race my 10TT soon!

For those interested in a quick reference for ROAR rules, keep in mind that SC wheels are not allowed and I've converted over to metric for easier reference here:

I was originally going to do JANG's Shapeshifter Truggy conversion, but balked when I learned he was forced to using SC wheels

I have high hopes for the Tekno EB410 coming out soon and can't wait to see (confirm) if the track width is the same front/rear and fit standard ST wheels on 12mm hex... that could be the game changer!

I've also been taking a closer look at my Schumacher K2 and that might be a good candidate as well, I'll follow-up after I take some measurements. There is a local racer at our club who converted his KF2 into a ST and it looked promising, so that stands to reason that the K2 could work as well, plus with a belt drive design, that could offer the flexibility of extending the chassis length to get max ROAR limit to improve stability (if necessary)
Old 03-10-2017, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Blame Traxxas and the Revo for killing MT, that's how you got the current Truggy class. Not some dude putting MT tires on a buggy.

I'm not trying to kill anyone's dreams. I'm saying WAKE UP! It ain't gonna happen. Best of luck to you and the 4 guys you'll convince to build one of these frankenstien's

Let's bump this thread in 5 years and see where we're at, sound good?
Yep, sad but true. This topic probably comes up every year but nothing ever happens. Have always wanted a 4WD stadium truck since I got into the hobby (15+ years ago) Have owned a RS4 MT and Jammin CRT .5 and were good fun (apart from replacing a-arms on the RS4 all the time) 4WD buggies use to be my favorite class but now I love 2wd. Strap the faster legal size motor in the back and pin it RC Racing is growing year by year but still don't think it is large enough for a new class.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aspiringracer View Post
You're serving no purpose here; do us all a favor and leave; and as for your bolding of my statement, let me clarify what I meant by it. A third party took an on road car and converted it into a 4wd offroad buggy. That DESIGN was so good it was eventually sold to the manufacturer of the on road car it was based on! Only to be slightly tweaked and MASS PRODUCED. To think the release of the Bj4/B44 didnt help 1/10 buggy grow would be ignorant. My post you quoted and bolded was made in a heated moment because someone on my thread wants to derail it and cause more problems than solutions (you @racer1812)
The car kit that grew 4wd buggies was the Durango DEX410 - finally a buggy design that everyone was asking for. Thank-you Durango. The BJ4 was a great buggy and even won the worlds. Just a shame AE couldn't do it themselves and had to wait for someone to do it for them.

Originally Posted by Rodarbal View Post
Don't forget the Yokomo Dogfighter 834B or whatever it was called. That's the vehicle that was significant to me as a kid. That and the MIP 4wd conversion for the RC10. Mugen also had their Bulldog, too.
Thought I had a review in it in a old mag (probably do just can't find it) Came across add for the MR4 MT

We Are Ninja likes this.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 131 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ROSCOE View Post
PR 4wd truck

PR RACING
i'd wager this is the best quality 1/10 truggy out there. PR makes good stuff and it's pedigree is a race quality 1/10 buggy. if we had this class at my track i'd race it in a heartbeat. i'd get one of these, start reading up on the PR buggies, see what most common breakages are and order a bunch of spares. this truck would also seem to be a great match for a tekin pro-2 motor.

imo, bill is doing it right in his area. strict ROAR adherence to sizes is key. when i first started racing we had a 1/10 truggy class. of course it started with TT's. then the losi Ten-T conversions (with people running 1/8 buggy tires), by the end, we had a guy running an RC8Be with a truggy body. imo, keep ROAR restrictions for dimensions and keep it to 2S.

we all know that this class will never get going on a national scene with major manufacturers making them (as racer has said). but like bill said, if you want to run it, who cares if associated or losi makes one? as long as you get enough guys at your track to get them and make a class, that's all that matters.
We Are Ninja likes this.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There are a few points I've failed to mention. I have been one of the people whom has been asking for a 1/10 4wd stadium truck for a long, long time. Here are a few of the best answers I've gotten on why it won't happen/isn't likely (SO BE IT.) In no order.
1. Durability; some companies still struggle to make durable 1/10 4wd buggies. It only makes sense that if you take said 4wd buggy platform that's fragile to a point, and widen it out and then use bigger wheels and tires; that it will be VERY prone to breakage.
2. The room for racing it just isn't there even if they were a thing. --- this is understood, and to a point accepted, but we're talking about racing toy cars here; if someone wants to race it bad enough they will.
3. Motor/battery technology just couldn't handle the load (this was a very common answer back in 2005. Very much different now)
4. The idea has had it's tires kicked a few times; and it has never really caught on.

All of these are completely honest answers from people genuinely trying to answer my question. Here are my responses to these answers, for they provide the reason I have made this thread.

1. 4wd buggy durability has increased a lot of the past 10-15 years. As a kid I remember reading all the race kit reviews in the magazines and the 4wd buggies were the weakest but their ability on the track was so appealing!
2. Room for racing it. It's a single class; not a whole new thing like short course was in the sense of 2wd and 4wd and some wanting Sct buggy variants as well. If it adds an hour to the race day I would be suprised to see many be upset. Hasn't the general rule to racing a class been having enough to race it? In other words if me and my 4 friends have a total of 5 cars, that's a race right?
3. Motor and battery. I'm not even going to waste my time. 4 pole. 550. 2s. 6lbs or under and 🚀.
4. I can't help but wonder if it just needs it's tires kicked a little harder one last time.

The last thing that I have to say that is not directly related to a 4wd buggy platform and its stadium truck possibilities is that I AM NOT HERE TO ARGUE. If what you say has no direct relativity to the topic at hand (NOT the possibility of 4wd stadium truck future class, NOT why it won't work, NOT the popularity of it.) It will not get a response from me and I hope to be able to help those whom want it.
slowsrc likes this.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:18 AM
Tech Elite

Contacted them and say the PR kit is a special order, haven't received a response on price yet
399.99 plus about 20 to ship. according to ROAR rules it doesn't meet minimum length requirements lol
Old 03-11-2017, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 131 (100%+)

399.99 plus about 20 to ship. according to ROAR rules it doesn't meet minimum length requirements lol
interesting. i'd want to see the truck in person though. the roar diagram shows the length measurement to be from the front tire to the back of the body. perhaps the 375mm measurement listed on that truck is wheel to wheel.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Bellgate Distributors gave the same price and said it would take three weeks to get one in. Prepaid order only. Richard also said that it shares a lot of parts with the 4wheel buggy. If I had the disposable income I would have already ordered it.
Blake
Old 03-11-2017, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
I was originally going to do JANG's Shapeshifter Truggy conversion, but balked when I learned he was forced to using SC wheels
Yeah, the front caster blocks are frustratingly bulky, but for the record the Rustler's 2.8" wheels also fit. Granted it's not the original 2.2" wheel size that stadium trucks used to use, but personally I don't see why that matters. It's the tire height that affects the ground clearance and distance-traveled-per-wheel-rotation of a vehicle, not the wheel diameter.

I just used a digital caliper to measure the Pro-Line Caliber-T tires on my HPI MT2 and they're 104mm tall, whereas Pro-Line claims they are 102mm tall. So if we add 2mm to the rated height of a set of Dirt Hawg 2.8" tires, they would be 105mm tall -- 1mm taller than the "real" stadium-truck tires on my MT2. That tiny difference is completely irrelevant in the real world. So there's no (tire-related) reason why a 4Pede converted into a "Rustler 4x4" 4WD stadium truck wouldn't be legal for competition against other brands of 4WD stadium trucks.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Also, another option to consider is the HPI Bullet. A while ago I mounted some spare stadium-truck wheels and tires on my Bullet ST and compared it to my MT2, and the wheelbase and track-width were almost identical.

Mine is the nitro version, but there's no reason it wouldn't work for the electric version as well. If you took a Bullet ST, replaced the stock 3.2" wheels and tires with 2.2" wheels and tires, installed a set of CVD axles, converted it from dual-shocks to single-shocks, and mounted the swaybar kit from the HPI WR8, you'd have yourself a 4WD stadium truck. You could also drop in the center diff from the HPI WR8 if you'd rather have that instead of a slipper clutch. You might need to lighten the truck a bit, I'm not sure, but the chassis is plenty strong enough to withstand drilling some holes if you want to get medieval on it.
We Are Ninja likes this.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 03-29-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Perhaps the Kyosho Mad Bug with a stadium truck body on.
Mad Bug VE Blue Type 2 1/10 EP

Old 03-12-2017, 07:07 AM
Tech Rookie

ECX Circuit 4WD is another option. Aimed at bashers but could be acceptable for racing with a few mods.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service