Like Tree319Likes

4wd stadium trucks!

Old 07-23-2019, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 158 (100%+)

Love this class but it died really quick in my area. May have an XT4 for sale soon.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

Originally Posted by BenewahRCTeam View Post
I just picked up a VT64 roller.... got it setup and running now...with some AE offset Stadium Truck wheels and tires(we have those handy).
. With it came parts to make it back into a B64, as well as some Tekno away bars. I dont k ow what fluids are in it yet, and plan to open shocks to see what pistons are inside , and refill.....but looking for some setup advice.
We will be using it mostly on large-ish, outdoor dirt tracks...built for both 1/8 and 1/10.... Holeshots work at most of them fairly well.
Looking for some advice on sway bars, diff oil weights, shocks(oils, springs, mounting), and ride height....
. Thanks for any input.
I don't have any experience with your track conditions, but if I was in your situation, I would probably hit up the TEKNO ET410 pages on Facebook and ask for some setup sheets for your track conditions and use that as a starting point for your VT64. I have seen a couple VT64's run at the local turf track in our area and they have been fairly competitive with those drivers running similar setups with the TEKNO trucks... I have recently switched over to the PR 401R-T and have been trying similar setups with TEKNO too.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:18 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
I think you might be confusing the term offset with backspacing, 0 offset will have the hex perfectly centered, I think you want to have max negative offset (or zero backspacing) per this illustration here where Tamiya wheels have the greatest negative offset that I have seen in the industry:

TBH this is jus tone of the conventions. Some see wheels like 1.8 buggy as 0 offset, and count from there going inward.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Totallyosho View Post
TBH this is jus tone of the conventions. Some see wheels like 1.8 buggy as 0 offset, and count from there going inward.
Again, you are talking about backspacing, it's semantics on 1/8 buggy offsets, once you start to measure from hex face inward, then you are talking about the backspace. Each measurement are derivatives of each other, but are very much different depending on the context of the measurement. I have grown to appreciate the importance of measuring front spacing instead of backspacing to get actual track width changes. This becomes very important when changing brands of wheels, even brands that are marketed for compatibility with the same car I have found it necessary to add hex spacers in order to get the same track width due to very slight differences in the front spacing yet both brands of wheels had the same back spacing. When you change your track width, this will effect your traction:

Last edited by billdelong; 07-25-2019 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
Again, you are talking about backspacing, it's not that "some see wheels like 1/8 buggy as 0 offset" they are in fact 0 offset (or perfectly centered on the wheel),
Buggy wheels have a large positive offset when I look at the picture you posted. They don't mount at the centerline of the wheel, at all?
Old 07-25-2019, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Totallyosho View Post
Buggy wheels have a large positive offset when I look at the picture you posted. They don't mount at the centerline of the wheel, at all?
I don't race 1/8 classes anymore so I don't have buggy wheels to measure, I have seen some threads which state 1/8 buggy wheels are 0 offset as industry standard ( I should not have trusted those sources), but now that I think about it, you are correct, I recall them having a huge positive offset, after a quick search I see most online retailers marketing them as "standard offset" not "zero offset" my bad
Old 07-27-2019, 08:11 AM
Tech Adept

I only know of the Rustler. Which other brands are out there?
Old 07-27-2019, 09:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Originally Posted by ussprinceton View Post
I only know of the Rustler. Which other brands are out there?
Hobao; Hyper TT
Tekno; ET410
PR Racing; SB401R-T
Xray; XT4

Those are the kits available that I know of. But people are also converting AE, Yokomo and Losi buggies into truggies as well.
billdelong and Sir 51D3WAYS like this.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:58 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 256 (100%+)

Yokomo YZ4SFT conversions went 1 and 3 here at an RC Underground Race this past weekend. Unfortunately was unable to get in on the fun due to breaking a CVD, pin dropped out of axle and popped it.

I am doing the Foote conversion on mine, those doing it I would say you may need to limit the front shocks more than say a common 1mm and / or go with the 89mm bones up front versus the 87.5mm mentioned in the conversion to get what I feel is better pin engagement. Also use yz2t hingepins up front if you don't want to trip the stock yz4sf outer hingepins to make them fit (like mm or so of trimming so not bad).
aspiringracer likes this.

Last edited by Cain; 08-05-2019 at 09:10 PM. Reason: corrected finish order to 1 and 3 versus 1 and 2
Old 07-31-2019, 01:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Team Velocity VT64 Outdoor Dirt Setup
Old 08-07-2019, 10:39 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 256 (100%+)

For dirt conditions looking at going with SCT Tires since not much options in stadium. These again will be dirt conditions, things like where a enduro or cityblock works well. Anyone using SCT style tires in that kind of conditons, how has performance been versus a stadium tire. Tracks are 1/8 oriented I am looking at using it on.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not sure what 1/10 based rig I'll run indoors.. however.. some may remember that I shortened up an mbx5 to a 280mm wheelbase.. finally found a CVA that fits!

Motor clearance? *shrugs*