Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree478Likes

TLR 22 4.0

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-22-2017, 06:19 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 4.0
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt M.
22-4.0 Wiki

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 12:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm running a 4.0 on small high grip carpet tracks. I'm finding that on lower speed hairpins, I don't have enough steering to get around the way I want. I tried dialing up the dual rate on my TX but that causes me to have problems with control on higher speed corners. I'm mostly running the default setups from the manual with the exception of lowering the rear ride height a bit. Is there anything quick and easy I can try to address this? I should mention that I intend to move to the 5.0 AC if it ever gets to the stores here, which I am hoping does better with the steering than the 4.0. Any tips on settings without buying hardware to get me through the month before the 5.0 is available?
Old 03-04-2019, 12:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Darkstorm05
I'm running a 4.0 on small high grip carpet tracks. I'm finding that on lower speed hairpins, I don't have enough steering to get around the way I want. I tried dialing up the dual rate on my TX but that causes me to have problems with control on higher speed corners. I'm mostly running the default setups from the manual with the exception of lowering the rear ride height a bit. Is there anything quick and easy I can try to address this? I should mention that I intend to move to the 5.0 AC if it ever gets to the stores here, which I am hoping does better with the steering than the 4.0. Any tips on settings without buying hardware to get me through the month before the 5.0 is available?
On high grip astro I found that reducing the rear toe down to 2' helped a lot. I used I -2 rear toe block but you might be able to use the inserest around the other way - there is a chart on tlr blog.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is anyone running the monster max certified 17.5t motor on carpet? And if so what pinion/spur combo are you using?
Old 03-11-2019, 02:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey all. New to 2wd with a quick question. Will be running spec class and was wondering if the Losi 22 4.0 SR comes with the stand up tranny as well as the lay down. Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 66 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Ondaedg
Hey all. New to 2wd with a quick question. Will be running spec class and was wondering if the Losi 22 4.0 SR comes with the stand up tranny as well as the lay down. Any help is appreciated.
The SR only comes with the laydown trans.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darkstorm05
You really need the hrc rear block that reduces toe in and raises the roll center. The kit setup sucks as its a general purpose easy to drive setup for dirt. You need to look up frank roots carpet setup from fall 2018 for the 4.0 and run that. It runs sway bars and hrc piviot parts so if you want to to be cheap you could ignore the shocks and sway bars and just change all the links, hrc rear piviot stuff and hubs. That would drive a ton better and be inexpensive. I ran my 4.0 with that setup 4 separate times on astro turf and it was great. The rear toe in was a big change by its self so start there at least.
Pistol123 likes this.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For those with the TLR 22 4.0 SR, what spur/ pinion are you running? Manual calls for 69/28 but I’ve seen setup sheets with people using 72/27. So I tried 72/28 (didn’t want to buy a new pinion) tonight and it was more acceleration but felt like I had less top speed and I didn’t like it for the long straight. Also my motor got really hot so I would need a 27T pinion which would be even less. Should I go back to 69 spur and try upping pinion count to 29?
Old 03-25-2019, 08:45 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teeyo
For those with the TLR 22 4.0 SR, what spur/ pinion are you running? Manual calls for 69/28 but I’ve seen setup sheets with people using 72/27. So I tried 72/28 (didn’t want to buy a new pinion) tonight and it was more acceleration but felt like I had less top speed and I didn’t like it for the long straight. Also my motor got really hot so I would need a 27T pinion which would be even less. Should I go back to 69 spur and try upping pinion count to 29?
It completely depends on the motor, motor timing, esc settings, track size and grip.
Teeyo likes this.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Battery position for astro

I've seen astro setup sheets with batteries fully reward, 3/4 forward, 3/4 reward, fully forward... is there a consensus on what is the best compromise for stock astro racing? Are people really running the battery forward on stock astro?

I noticed I get little steering with new tires (even with sway bar disconnected), and it starts to get better as the rear tires wear. So I thought in moving the battery forward in steps to see what it does. I just don't like that that the electronics are crammed with the longer battery tie down. Should I just keep the battery on the rear, and start adding weight to the front instead?
Old 03-25-2019, 08:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by m3rcfh
I've seen astro setup sheets with batteries fully reward, 3/4 forward, 3/4 reward, fully forward... is there a consensus on what is the best compromise for stock astro racing? Are people really running the battery forward on stock astro?

I noticed I get little steering with new tires (even with sway bar disconnected), and it starts to get better as the rear tires wear. So I thought in moving the battery forward in steps to see what it does. I just don't like that that the electronics are crammed with the longer battery tie down. Should I just keep the battery on the rear, and start adding weight to the front instead?
Squashing the electronics up front is a good move (helps with a low profile servo) as you then have the option of running the battery forward. Ithe really helps the steering with the battery forward, 25g electronic weight and the servo weight.
I know what you mean about new tyres, I used the -2' rear D block and the 4' toe in pills to get 2' toe in at the rear - that really help the change of direction when running cactus tyres.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Pistol123
Squashing the electronics up front is a good move (helps with a low profile servo) as you then have the option of running the battery forward. Ithe really helps the steering with the battery forward, 25g electronic weight and the servo weight.
I know what you mean about new tyres, I used the -2' rear D block and the 4' toe in pills to get 2' toe in at the rear - that really help the change of direction when running cactus tyres.
That's great advice, I've been wondering how to get the Cactus to have less foward bite... I will try that and see if it works for the blocks also! Looking for a good consistent option for practice tire, as buying prisms every week is going to get me kicked out of the house.

So I was going to play with weights next, that's a good starting point, really appreciate the help!
Is it even worth of trying brass kick shim or brass pivot block for stock astro setup? I have the impression that it would be too much for stock if I move the battery foward, electronics + servo weights. Also worth mentioning that I run 3200mah Team Orion batteries, so they are very light...

Last edited by m3rcfh; 03-26-2019 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Adding battery details
Old 03-27-2019, 09:47 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I haven't run a ton on astro, but on carpet, I run the battery as far forward as it can go, and a 50g brass front pivot.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:03 AM
Tech Regular

I'm still having issues setting up the slipper clutch... I switched to the TLR gear diff over the weekend, and started from slipper nut flush with the bolt and worked all my way to fully tightened.. the slipper still slips. The pads are new, geared 27/72, Reedy S-plus 17.5 motor.

Is it possible that my slipper spring is toast? I haven't been able to troubleshoot it myself. I can't imagine anything else on the drivetrain slipping... I can see the spur turning when I hit the throttle, it does a low pitch noise. Maybe it's time to go with the direct drive upgrade
Old 03-29-2019, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm still having issues setting up the slipper clutch... I switched to the TLR gear diff over the weekend, and started from slipper nut flush with the bolt and worked all my way to fully tightened.. the slipper still slips. The pads are new, geared 27/72, Reedy S-plus 17.5 motor.

Is it possible that my slipper spring is toast? I haven't been able to troubleshoot it myself. I can't imagine anything else on the drivetrain slipping... I can see the spur turning when I hit the throttle, it does a low pitch noise. Maybe it's time to go with the direct drive upgrade
Are the slipper plates rotating? If no then the slipper is slipping, if yes its something else.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jmitchell
Are the slipper plates rotating? If no then the slipper is slipping, if yes its something else.
I will check on that when I get home today, thanks for the tip! What else could be slipping though? With the gear diff there, I can't picture what else would be slipping... and if the plates are not moving, what do I need new to fix it? New slipper spring?
Sorry if these questions are obvious, just got into the race kits recently and the 4.0 is my first buggy.

Edit: Found the culprit, one of the out driver set screw wasn't fully tightened. Slipper working like a charm now

Last edited by m3rcfh; 03-29-2019 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Found the issue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.