Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree478Likes

TLR 22 4.0

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-22-2017, 06:19 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 4.0
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt M.
22-4.0 Wiki

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Tech Addict

When you guys are talking “outdoors” and “dirt” are you talking proper dirt here your car gets dirty and rooster tails from the tyres, or the still current trend of heavily treated dirt where your car comes off the track as clean as a touring car?

Reason I’m asking is that all I see is a movement to laydown, and I’m not convinced it would suit the traditional off road tracks I run on.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:27 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bd581
When you guys are talking “outdoors” and “dirt” are you talking proper dirt here your car gets dirty and rooster tails from the tyres, or the still current trend of heavily treated dirt where your car comes off the track as clean as a touring car?

Reason I’m asking is that all I see is a movement to laydown, and I’m not convinced it would suit the traditional off road tracks I run on.
This was the track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRD3cL-flA
Old 10-07-2017, 09:10 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Wow. So shocks on rear doesn't add a little more grip? I think laydown would be great on outdoor blue groove with dusty edges. Just on the fence about running a laydown on wet track with holeshots.

Originally Posted by Frank Root
Old 10-08-2017, 07:35 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAE
Wow. So shocks on rear doesn't add a little more grip? I think laydown would be great on outdoor blue groove with dusty edges. Just on the fence about running a laydown on wet track with holeshots.
Any weight behind the rear axle is going to create a pendulum effect. Do you not understand that any time a car goes through a corner, the laws of physics dictate what the car is going to do?

With less available traction, you have to load the tires more carefully. The weight behind the rear axle wants to keep going straight, while the rest of the car wants to go around the corner. This weight wanting to keep going straight makes the car want to spin out right after the car has started to turn. This means you have to slow down more to not spin out. That's not it though. As you are coming out of a turn, that weight behind the axle wants make the car spin out again for the same reason.

How many different buggies have you tried since you started racing?
Old 10-08-2017, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

guys, i have what my be an odd question,

i measured my vehicles rear width using tlr wheels and with Proline wheels, my car is roughly 1.5mm narrower with Proline wheels, so i deducted that i should put on the +0.75 hexes on when using those rims, to keep the same handling characteristics...any one else notice/ do this??

what handling difference is a narrower rear ?
Old 10-08-2017, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default Zappers/Graphene slim batteries

Is anyone running a slim graphene type battery like a Reedy Zapper in their 22 4.0 or 22 4.0 SR? If so, how are you mounting the battery? Is there a way to make the kit battery strap work, or are you taping the battery in?
Old 10-08-2017, 08:58 AM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Yes, buggy pushes a little less. Just put battery foam on top of the lipo where the strap clamps down.

Originally Posted by Wease
Is anyone running a slim graphene type battery like a Reedy Zapper in their 22 4.0 or 22 4.0 SR? If so, how are you mounting the battery? Is there a way to make the kit battery strap work, or are you taping the battery in?
Old 10-08-2017, 10:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bd581

JAE- I have been running my 22 4.0 outdoors throughout the summer on a damp "Holeshot" outdoor track with great success. My car is in laydown configuration with shocks mounted forward. The only changes I have made from my indoor setup is I'm running slightly more rear antisquat, softer rear spring, and moved my wheel base forward so it's 1mm/3mm.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:57 AM
Tech Rookie

finished my build saturday, used frank root carpet setup (mostly, what was in kit no extras yet), raced sunday (indoor carpet, tight track), 4 out of 6. Build was good with some binding due to over tightening screws, running 17.5 70/28. Buggy was smooth just need more driver practice, lol.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:49 PM
Tech Rookie

So here is a new one for me. Just finishing up my 22 4.0 build. Spur and pinion move / spin when power is applied but rear axles / drivetrain/ wheels don't budge. They spin freely when moved by hand etc so they are not bound up. So far I have...

1.Rebuilt the diff twice. Each time all gears move / spur moves the rear diff, but when the gear box is installed back on the buggy it goes back to not moving when the spur gear is spun.

2. Gone from very tight to very loose slipper. no change

3. Gone from very tight to very loose diff screw. no change

Any ideas? Thanks!

JP
Old 10-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jpp2422
So here is a new one for me. Just finishing up my 22 4.0 build. Spur and pinion move / spin when power is applied but rear axles / drivetrain/ wheels don't budge. They spin freely when moved by hand etc so they are not bound up. So far I have...

1.Rebuilt the diff twice. Each time all gears move / spur moves the rear diff, but when the gear box is installed back on the buggy it goes back to not moving when the spur gear is spun.

2. Gone from very tight to very loose slipper. no change

3. Gone from very tight to very loose diff screw. no change

Any ideas? Thanks!

JP
Have you checked the bearing on the diff output shaft is fully seated. There was a batch where the shaft wasn't machine properly so the diff rings aren't touching the balls. Might be worth taking the diff out and checking you have some diff action.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Pistol123
Have you checked the bearing on the diff output shaft is fully seated. There was a batch where the shaft wasn't machine properly so the diff rings aren't touching the balls. Might be worth taking the diff out and checking you have some diff action.
Ugh looks like you might be right. Any way to fix the issue or you think I need a new rings / outdrive?
Old 10-09-2017, 02:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jpp2422
Ugh looks like you might be right. Any way to fix the issue or you think I need a new rings / outdrive?
Well horizon will supply replacement parts of you contact them. However I just pressed the bearing on using a vice and a socket - has worked fine for this season but I don't think the bearing will come off.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Aluminum front pivot.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-lo...lr1072/p202714

Is that compatible with the 4.0?
Old 10-09-2017, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It will be interesting to watch the 4.0 at the IOCC this week in Las Vegas. I'm not sure if it's the buggies themselves designed more for dirt and clay or a lack of market share or access to the actual products, but TLR buggies don't seem to be popular in the EOS series and I'm keen to see how they fair at this race in the hands of North American Pro's. Xray, Yokomo and Schumacher have more experience on carpet, and AE have a nice copy of the Yok and great drivers, it'll be an important event for TLR to showcase their buggies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.