Like Tree478Likes

TLR 22 4.0

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-22-2017, 06:19 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 4.0
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt M.
22-4.0 Wiki

Print Wikipost

Old 06-01-2017, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SickNT760
I am running the Exotek with the laydown installed. The fan will be behind the motor with an angle still providing plenty of air flow. These are two pics that I have right now. If you want I can snap some more pics when I am at the track tomorrow.
Thanks for the pics. I have my car apart right now, so I'll give this a shot. after all my getting pist off i'm not sure i tried to mount from the bottom.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thirtydaZe
What fan mount is everyone using for your motor? Bought an exotek and must be over thinking it, but cant get the thing to fit with any direct shot to the motor.

Anyone got pics or a better option for me?
MIP tape seems to work for me.
thirtydaZe likes this.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmitchell
Double check the transmission inserts are in the correct position. I had this same thing happen to my 4.0 after I first built it, turns out I put the tranny inserts in upside down.
They are in correct position. I have gone to 28.5 mm on my rear shock stroke assuming the drives may have snagged since they were pretty close to the ends of the outdrives. Also thinking the outdrives rings may have caused the sound as they seated or moved on the outdrives at it spun. At this point, who knows. Car running fine so probably all is good. I am leveling rear arms now whenever I break in my diff just in case.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

step A2 of the manual, is it calling for the steering servo to be off-centre? or is it just a reminder to centre? i read it at as "build off-centre" which makes no sense to me

Old 06-01-2017, 07:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mourinho
step A2 of the manual, is it calling for the steering servo to be off-centre? or is it just a reminder to centre? i read it at as "build off-centre" which makes no sense to me

Yes, it should be slightly off. Plug your servo in and center it, then mount the servo arm at a slight angle as shown.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

All the servo's i have used will not allow you to center the horn. It's always slightly off one tooth angled inward.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Callaway
Yes, it should be slightly off. Plug your servo in and center it, then mount the servo arm at a slight angle as shown.
then the steering links are uneven length in order to have equal toe..
Old 06-01-2017, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chevmaro
All the servo's i have used will not allow you to center the horn. It's always slightly off one tooth angled inward.
thats what sub-trim is for
Old 06-01-2017, 08:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

No, steering links need to be the same. Servo horn should be at approximately 1 o'clock position. If necessary, adjust the length of the drag link, but if you installed everything else correctly (servo, horn, steering links), it should be pretty close. If your servo is spaced too far forward/back, your drag link length will be wrong.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

What tsair said, and...

I used servo shim to get servo link horizontal. 1-2mm gap on the servo link, doesn't have to be perfect.

Measure steering turnbuckles per the manual, it will set you up even.

Install servo horn one tooth inward,

Trim out the rest. EPA is about even at 80% with full throw both directions. Sub trim is about 10 on my airtronics.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:12 AM
Tech Addict

No. Just build according to the manual like we are saying and you'll see. I have built five 22-series kits and rebuilt two more... it works out.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Callaway
No. Just build according to the manual like we are saying and you'll see. I have built five 22-series kits and rebuilt two more... it works out.
Im not doubting that it has worked out for you and others, but for me there is no way it will work with even length links.

I have already built the car and set the steering and the only way it will work is with horn centered. Ive had it all apart and double checked everything and its built correctly.

I am using the aluminium steering rack and posts so im not sure if that would be causing this?
Old 06-02-2017, 08:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Im not doubting that it has worked out for you and others, but for me there is no way it will work with even length links.

I have already built the car and set the steering and the only way it will work is with horn centered. Ive had it all apart and double checked everything and its built correctly.

I am using the aluminium steering rack and posts so im not sure if that would be causing this?
another reason to adjust with the drag link instead is to prevent the link from going into an over extension where the servo arm travels too far, pointing down and then the link will dog leg the wrong way and lock
Old 06-02-2017, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

As long as you have full steering in both directions and the car tracks straight after sub trimming, it won't matter either way. You are only using part of the servo travel and have to limit it in both directions anyway, with EPA.
jpcopeland1 and Callaway like this.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

What the guy above said.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.