ARRMA vs HPI vs Traxxas >

ARRMA vs HPI vs Traxxas

Like Tree1Likes

ARRMA vs HPI vs Traxxas

Old 02-23-2017, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default ARRMA vs HPI vs Traxxas

Im looking into 3 new trucks and would love any feedback. I am looking into the Arrma Kraton, HPI flux truggy and the Traxxas stampede/e-maxx. Also considered Helion select four 10TR. Can anyone give pros and cons to these? Its going to be used mostly for light bashing nothing to extreme. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Go with the kraton. Great truck. Hpi parts are hard to find. Stampede 4x4 is fun but smaller. Emaxx is old and relatively fragile.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Of the Hpi vehicles, I'd pass on that one. Didn't sell when it was released 4 years ago. Hpi parts should be getting better. But it's still early to know how it's going to be for the new Hpi.
Stampede 4x4 has been one of my go to truck for most of past 6 years. With the aftermarket support, gives lots of opinions as to what you can do to it.
Kraton looks solid. Never seen one run in person. I've got the Outcast and Nero. Has really good experience so far with Outcast. Nero been problem child. Lots of small stuff breaking. Nothing major. Just been really annoying.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think out of that list the Stampede isn't on the same level as the other 4. E-Maxx breaks a lot. HPI is good but not the most common of parts etc, Kraton is BA. The hellion select 4 I am kind of torn on. On one hand helions break a lot... but the parts that break are now that gold colored aluminium on the select four trucks. So it seems as though it should be a tough design. I saw a hobbytown employee running the 10TR in the field next to the hobbytown. Ran good, flipped it a few times with no issues. Wasn't a crazy hard core bash session though.

The kraton is probably the most BA vehicle but everyone has them. The select four seems like it should be a good truck and not many people... around here at least would have one.

Another thing to think about as well are batteries etc. The kraton runs 1/8th scale electronics, that means 4s and 6s batteries. While the select four/stampeded run 1/10th scale. Which means 2s and 3s. You will have to buy some unless you already have some.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:54 AM
Tech Adept

kinda sounds like for the $500 mark Kraton or HPI Savage/truggy would be the ones to look at. Anyone out there know of any good "kits" that are MT or ST? I want to build it myself i dont really like the RTR. What about the electronics in ARRMA vs HPI?
Old 02-23-2017, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gibsontoad View Post
kinda sounds like for the $500 mark Kraton or HPI Savage/truggy would be the ones to look at. Anyone out there know of any good "kits" that are MT or ST? I want to build it myself i dont really like the RTR. What about the electronics in ARRMA vs HPI?
The Tekno MT410 is a sweet monster truck kit but you'd be spending a lot more than an rtr unless you can find one used.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gibsontoad View Post
Arrma had some esc issues when the Kraton first came out 2 years ago. But they fixed that. Have read of anything common.
For monster truck the new Tekno looks really good. Released at same time as the Arrma Outcast. Though most owners I've followed with the Tekno are in the $6-800 range with theirs.
With Hpi it's still kind of wait and see how it goes with the new owners. I've got around 15 Hpi vehicles. Almost all have been good. I've killed few of their stock ESCs. Don't know if the electronics have changed now.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:25 PM
Tech Addict

As mentioned the Tekno MT410 is probably the toughest MT on the market right now and is a kit. Thing is the kit is 450. Then you need to buy tires/rims- 50-100 bucks, a body 30-80 bucks, a ESC and motor 200-300 bucks, a steering servo 30-120 bucks and a receiver/transmitter if you don't have one already. You're talking 750 bucks if you already have a transmitter and you buy cheaper electronics. 1000 dollars if you buy top end electronics and you already have a transmitter.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:08 PM
Tech Adept

maybe ill just take the RTR apart and rebuild it...lol. anyone have the traxxas MXL-6s system?
Cain likes this.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:13 PM
Tech Addict

Personally I would get the Kraton if you are wanting 1/8th scale electronics and have or wanted to buy 4s/6s batteries or 2 2s or 2 3s batteries. Another option is the losi Ten-MT or losi Ten-SCBE. The Ten-MT is 400 bucks, Ten-SCBE is 500. Both run 1/10th scale electronics and are quite durable. 2s and 3s batteries are cheaper than 4s and 6s. But the 1/8th electronics have more torque. I have a Ten-MT and I get compliments anytime I'm running it. Jumps really well, very controllable and those wheelies from a roll on any surface seem to impressive everyone watching.

Nothing lasts forever. All cars need bearings replaced at the wheels and the bearings in the diffs after a certain period of time. Shocks need rebuilding and then of course there are things to replace when you break parts. No matte what car you get, if you keep it long enough and run it hard enough you will need to get to know it in and out. Unless you pay for your local hobby store to fix everything.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:39 PM
Tech Adept

i have the losi LST XXL-2 and its funny to say but maybe its just to big? not sure as i have only gotten to bust it out a few times. for some reason its killing my batteries. gone through 2 sets of them now. Had better luck with 1/10 scale i guess. Anyone have a HPI Bullet Flux ST? that is half the cost.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:02 PM
Tech Addict

What kind of connector does it use and what ESC?
Old 02-23-2017, 06:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Out of those the Kraton no question. Just make sure to get a V2 (second iteration). These will have a black motor / esc as opposed to the old red ones.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is a little out of my area of knowledge, but I have worked on a couple E-Maxx's for a coworker's son and I've come to the conclusion that the design isn't the greatest. It's way more complex than it has to be. The bulkheads and arms have to be upgraded to RPM to handle serious bashing. The steering is as bad as it gets. And if you add big power, the driveline components won't survive long. I would lean towards the Arrma for durability, but I'm kind of concerned with the future of Arrma/Durango based on Hobbico's current financial situation. I haven't seen Tekno's monster truck, but if it shares components with their 4wd SCT, buggy or truggy, it will be a tank. Their race vehicles are as tough as they come. Maybe go that route with a high torque Turnigy servo from Hobbyking, a Castle Mamba Monster system and a Flysky radio. All solid performers for what you're doing
Old 02-23-2017, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

Take a look at the Armma Nero Fazon with diff brain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.