Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
It's been 20 years!  Where to start... >

It's been 20 years! Where to start...

Like Tree1Likes

It's been 20 years! Where to start...

Old 02-11-2017, 06:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default It's been 20 years! Where to start...

So, I used to race back in the 90s (worked at/announced at M&M Hobbies in Corona, CA). I am looking to get back into it, and things have certainly changed....batteries, motors, etc..

Anyway, I think I have figured out what I want to get...maybe?

Thinking about:

Losi 22 3.0 Buggy.
Futaba 3PV Radio
Savox Servo

then, it gets complicated...

The local track is heavy with 1/8 scale, 4WD SCT, and 1/10 4WD Buggy getting going. 1/10 buggy isn't too popular (yet). I wanted to race stock (17.5), but it's likely that class may not materialize. However, I want to be able to race that class if I visit other tracks. That said, if I have to race MOD, so be it, but it would be with a 13.5 or even the 17.5 motor. So, now I'm trying to find an ESC? I'm looking at the Hobbywing Xerun X10 Pro Stock? Maybe a speed passion? I guess I'm trying to find a decent ESC that can handle a 13.5 with a 2S.

Man, there's been so many changes in tech... I don't know how consistently I'll be racing. Just looking to have some fun, but be as competitive as I can be while I'm out there.. Yes, skill is ultimately what leads to success, I understand that. But I don't want to have buyers remorse if I buy some eq that I will outgrow too quickly.....
Old 02-12-2017, 06:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hobbywing makes great esc's for the money. You will not be disappointed with them.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

I'd recommend the Associated B6d over the TLR (making that switch myself). Depending in where you find to race, you may want to go to a "laydown" transmission. With the B6, that costs $30, with the TLR it costs $180+. Both can do a 4-gear (better for low traction outdoor) economically.

Probably more important though, if you strongly prefer 1/10 buggy, find a good 1/10 track to race at. They really aren't that fun on rough 1/8 classes and racing is always more fun in well participated classes. If the best tracks run 1/8, get one of those & you'll have a better time.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm in a similar position, I raced an RC10 in the early 90s and just recently decided to get back into it again. Luckily for me my kids have shown quite a bit of interest. They're too young to go racing, but it makes for some really fun bash sessions!
If you plan to race definately go with something in a larger class at your local tracks. That will keep the fun factor up.
The tech has improved by leaps and bounds! I've had to do a bunch of homework to get back up on things. That's part of the fun though!
The combo you've outlined is a good one. From what I've heard from other racers, the sensored motors and ESCs from hobbywing are great. I haven't had any experience with them though.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:19 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the feedback! I've always been a Losi guy, and I really like what I've seen from TLR. Local track is clay. This is going to be interesting!! Had fun with a rental SCT at the local track and I was hooked again!! My son, 13, has a "little" interest in it. I want to buy a kit so he can build it with me. I remember I was about his age when I got my first car.. Losi, JrX2! A bit more research on ESCs and I'll probably pull the trigger...(pun fully intended!)
Old 02-12-2017, 10:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Welcome back...

I recently got back into racing after a 6 year gap. I went with the TLR 22 3.0 buggy and haven't looked back.

I'm still running the 3 gear stand up and after a couple months of learning to drive all over again. I've dropped 5 seconds and in the same seconds range (low 17's high 16's ) as some of the fast guys at my track. They still beat me but I'm catching up fast.

Some of the fast guys still run a stand up and we have a very high bite clay indoor track.

The TLR laydown is hard to find right now and I think there are some things int e works in that regard. However it is not $180, lol it's $134.99 which includes A LOT.

One of my really good buddies races with a B6D and we are neck and neck.

As for electronics:

I would say go with the Futaba 4PV you're going to want to upgrade before too long. That's the boat I'm in right now.

I'm a Tekin guy and got the Gen 3 13.5T and Gen 2 Spec race ESC. For your servo get the Savox 1257TG is fast has great torque and you won't strip gears as easy as a let's say 1251MG. I did that already too!

The Orion shorty Batteries you can't go wrong. 3800mah & 5000mah
Old 02-13-2017, 01:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

90's Racer, first, congrats on coming back to the hobby! As you've seen, it's changed leaps and bounds over the past decades. If you plan on running 17.5 Stock Buggy, do yourself a favor and get the Hobbywing "Just Stock" esc. It's a super smooth esc and has performed better than my other esc's that were 2-3times the cost of it. Infact, it's so good, that I added one to my mod car which is an 8.5 turn motor. It handles it without any problem. We're very lucky here to have several great indoor Clay tracks, all of which 17.5 Stock Buggy is a VERY popular class. So don't worry about going and running on a huge 1/8th scale outdoor track, we've got plenty of indoor facilities with great traction, OCRC, SCVRC, Coyote, LRH, SDRC all within an hour and a half from you! As for the car, the TLR 3.0 is a great car, but if you want to run 17.5, get their new Stock Spec Racer. It's basically a 3.0 with some specific details aimed at stock racing. Personally, I love my Team Associated cars, but TLR makes great cars also. Both brands are supported well by most track's hobby shops as well, which is important because if you break at the track, you don't want your day to be done. As for motors, ask 10 people and you'll probably get 7 different answers lol I love the Schuur Speed motors and have used them for a few years now. Look at his "Short Stack" motors. But honestly, there's a lot of good motors out there. I like Schuur Speed because Ron's local and has great customer service as well as he races locally, so if you have a question, he's often there at the track and willing to help you in person! Batteries and servos, there's a ton of great options out there. Just remember, especially with batteries, most expensive isn't always the best. Honestly, they're all pretty good, so you don't have to throw a $100 bux at a battery like you did in the old days where you needed matched packs and saved your best battery for the end of the night in the main. Now, they all perform great and my personal batteries I use now have cost me between about $45-75. Just continue to do more research and go back to the track, look around and ask questions in the pits and see what people are running. Don't be afraid to ask questions, most people are pretty cool and willing to help out a new racer! Good luck!
Old 02-13-2017, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

dont be afraid to run a good 17.5 motor in mod, I've run my stock buggy in mod on a big outdoor track and still done pretty well, you might lose a little down the straight but especially if you are just getting back into it being over powered is going to hurt more than it will help. Keeping it on the wheels will save you more time than any motor is going to gain you.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I found myself in the same position you're in back in 2010. Having raced 1/10th 2WD buggy from the late 80's to just past the turn of the century, I was looking to get back into what I knew best. As in your area, 1/8th scale was the predominant class run, with tracks that were not 1/10th friendly, especially 2WD. So, 1/8th scale it was.

Since then, a few indoor tracks have opened (and promptly closed less than a year later). I invested over 1k in an AE B5 1/10th 2WD buggy, only to get less than $300 when I sold it due to no place to race it.

While I would race 1/10th again if it were my only option, 1/8th scale has proven to be so much more exhilarating. The speed and power 1/8th scale vehicles can put down is very addictive. And although 1/10th scale stuff has gotten more durable since the 90's, the 1/8th equipment is surprisingly more durable, even today. Very tough.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:59 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnny44 View Post
The TLR laydown is hard to find right now and I think there are some things int e works in that regard. However it is not $180, lol it's $134.99 which includes A LOT.
Fair enough, but that's still about 1/2 the cost of a full B6 kit, which can be converted to whichever transmission option for about $30. The lack of TLR's kit availability almost definitely means that a new car kit is coming. The 3.0 is a good car, but it's not a particularly good buy right now.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Fair enough, but that's still about 1/2 the cost of a full B6 kit, which can be converted to whichever transmission option for about $30. The lack of TLR's kit availability almost definitely means that a new car kit is coming. The 3.0 is a good car, but it's not a particularly good buy right now.
I just might have to agree with you on the purchase of the 3.0. But it's still all speculation, especially with the car only being a year old.

I'm hoping at least it's just some bigger upgrade to allow the rear chock in front of the A arms.

90's racer, I will say that I was pleasantly surprised in how much more affordable it is now, compared to even six years ago.

The track guys are always eager to help and answer questions. It's what brings us back and new people in.

Good luck on which ever way you go.

Cheers
Old 02-13-2017, 06:49 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm in the same boat. My son just turned 5 and wanted an RC. Rather than getting him one from walmart we got him a Slash. We went to Leisure Hours Raceway and had and absolute blast. I dug out the old rc10b3 and bought a new cheap radio and receiver. I also got some new NiMh that my son and I can share. Well long story short I got the bug.

I'm on a budget so I picked up a used rc10b5m from the classifieds on here. Was able to get a good deal on the car, power supply and charger. I went with the Hobbywing Justock x10, 17.5, and SMC 4400 shorty batteries.

We went back to the track this past Sunday and it was one of the most fun days I've ever had. I just need to learn how to set the car up and I think I'll enjoy it even more!

So long rant aside the hobbywing esc worked great. I had a few questions on setting it up and their customer service was awesome. I'd do some reading and learning about the lipos.....they are crazy.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:16 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks all, for the replies! I picked up a gently used TLR 22T 2.0, and some electronics (Hobbywing Justock ESC, KoProp radio, batts, charger, etc..). I'm hoping to still buy a buggy soon, as I really want to build the kit with my son. Still leaning towards the TLR 22 3.0.. I live in Virginia now, and 1/8 scale is pretty popular. Local track hosting a ROAR race, so I'm hoping that generates some interest in 1/10 scale there.. Can't wait til I get my truck to play with for now...
Old 02-14-2017, 08:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Some good advice already, welcome back.
The area to focus IMO is on LIPO batteries, their charging and proper use. $100 mistakes are really easy to make.
Make sure you unplug your LIPO after use, even with the switch off in the car many systems will still drain the battery and it will never come back = -$100
Piles of great battery data are available on this forum as well as all over the internet involving charging and lipo use. Example. https://www.maxamps.com/lipo-care.php
Old 02-15-2017, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No motor skimming, no 'matched' batteries, no 5 minute run times (and dumping at 5 minutes and 3 seconds!)
Speed controllers are pretty much bulletproof too.

90sRacer-I'm in a similar position-hence my name! I am older and raced 'back in the day' but now i consider myself a 'noob' all over again.

The tech has made the hobby cheaper and easier to go fast on a budget (it never works out like that though eh?)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.