Like Tree1Likes

2.2" Spoke rims?

Old 02-21-2017, 06:51 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 67StingrayJ View Post
I have a Losi TEN SCBE that I want to get some decent bashing yet better looking wheels for. Looks are important to me. I also want to find something that will make the ride height taller. Taller tire?

Are rims all MFG specific? or can I just look for a 2.2 tire and assume it will fit on my 2.2 rims?
You should have it a little bit easier to find different wheels as your vehicle uses SCT wheels. Any wheel designed for the TLR 22 SCT will fit perfectly with the proper offset. Here's an example link to give you a good selection of options (https://www.amainhobbies.com/losi-22...c2425?s=wheels).

As far as tires are concerned, pretty much any 1/10 SCT tire will fit on a standard 1/10 SCT rim (https://www.amainhobbies.com/tires-s...s-trucks/c1252).

Unfortunately you will probably have a hard time finding anything that will increase your ride height. Most SCT tires are about the same profile, but you may stumble upon something that will be a little taller.

If you want a second set of eyes to double check compatibility of some specific wheels and tires you have in mind, post up some links or part numbers and I'll be sure to take a look for you.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So, surgery was a success

Back to the house today and got my parts in. Unfortunately, the bearings are too big to fit inside the rim. Also, the pin that holds the steering blocks to the caster blocks (original criterion) seem a little too big. I can likely bore that hole no problem, but I'll need to find a smaller bearing to fit inside the wheel. For now, I think I'll just mount the bearing like a washer on the outside. It won't look ideal but it should roll ok. If it falls off, it's the wrong size anyways. I think I may either look for smaller bearings or see if I can get the steering blocks that came with the car the rims go on fit.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Helion Criterion 2.2 wheels with 12mm hex front and rear on my RC10B6

Old 03-02-2017, 05:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by egalsim View Post
Helion Criterion 2.2 wheels with 12mm hex front and rear on my RC10B6
I assumed (maybe improperly) that since his buggy is a Criterion, he didn't want the stock wheels.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by thisdoesfine View Post
Unfortunately, the bearings are too big to fit inside the rim.
Sorry man. I totally missed that those wheels are sized for metric 4x8mm bearings (the same ones that your Criterion used stock). Unfortunately, if you switch to those, the axles I recommended will be too big. Let me think about it and if I come up with something, I'll let you know. Sorry again
Old 03-02-2017, 12:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by smrakocy View Post
Sorry man. I totally missed that those wheels are sized for metric 4x8mm bearings (the same ones that your Criterion used stock). Unfortunately, if you switch to those, the axles I recommended will be too big. Let me think about it and if I come up with something, I'll let you know. Sorry again
No worries. I shot the kyoshoamerica guys an email and they've been trying to help me out a lot too. They suggested the following as a trial

(all kyosho part #'s)
UM609 - axle (longer than criterion)
BRG002 (5x8x2.5 bearing)
BRG003 (4x8x3 bearing)
1-N4045F (M4x4.5 flanged nut)
W0149 (5x7x1 washer for between the axle and wheel bearings)

I found all of them online and ordered them. Some not the kyosho brand to save some $. I'll see how that goes in a few days. Have to head back to Miami next week for a follow up visit, hopefully they come in before we leave
Old 03-02-2017, 12:22 PM
Tech Adept

That's awesome that they've been so responsive. Love hearing things like this. Hope it works out for you and the follow up visit goes smoothly!
Old 03-16-2017, 09:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

The setup Kyoshoamerica gave me unfortunately did not work. The axle was longer but not long enough and I couldn't keep the nut on and a wheel went flying off, lol. I am still looking for another axle that is just a tad longer as that would be the easiest way vs using a 12mm hex mounted rim.

Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
Somehow I missed your post. I'll be looking to see if these are 12mm hex.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 154 (100%+)

The setup Kyoshoamerica gave me unfortunately did not work. The axle was longer but not long enough and I couldn't keep the nut on and a wheel went flying off, lol. I am still looking for another axle that is just a tad longer as that would be the easiest way vs using a 12mm hex mounted rim.

Somehow I missed your post. I'll be looking to see if these are 12mm hex.
It says in the tech details that they are 12MM hex.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

It says in the tech details that they are 12MM hex.
I saw that. I went ahead and ordered a set to see how they fit. I'm really hating how the wheels are advertised as 2.2 and 60 though. Is it 2.2 or 60? Grr. I ordered some clearance JConcepts 60mm tires to go with them. Thanks again for listing them.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

I saw that. I went ahead and ordered a set to see how they fit. I'm really hating how the wheels are advertised as 2.2 and 60 though. Is it 2.2 or 60? Grr. I ordered some clearance JConcepts 60mm tires to go with them. Thanks again for listing them.
I think you may have ordered the wrong tires. The "60MM" tires are for 2.4" bead diameter.

The HPI wheel is listed as a 2.2" wheel which is the bead diameter. That comes to 55.9MM The additional 4.1MM is probably accounting for the height of the outer edge of the wheel. These wheels are from 2009 (last line in the Tower "tech info") and predate the 60MM tires by many years. I think you need regular 2.2 buggy tires.

AKA made (maybe still does) a conversion kit to make the 60MM tires fit 2.2" wheels https://www.amainhobbies.com/aka-evo...a33023/p300015
but:

1) They are out of stock at A-Main and who knows if they are still available
2) They would probably look ugly
3) They add $5 per pair of tires.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think you may have ordered the wrong tires. The "60MM" tires are for 2.4" bead diameter.

The HPI wheel is listed as a 2.2" wheel which is the bead diameter. That comes to 55.9MM The additional 4.1MM is probably accounting for the height of the outer edge of the wheel. These wheels are from 2009 (last line in the Tower "tech info") and predate the 60MM tires by many years. I think you need regular 2.2 buggy tires.

AKA made (maybe still does) a conversion kit to make the 60MM tires fit 2.2" wheels https://www.amainhobbies.com/aka-evo...a33023/p300015
but:

This hobby is so annoying, LOL. I have some 60mm rims (ugly yellow disc style) that I purchased for some 60mm JConcepts smoothies for a local track. I can always put these cheap tires on them if they don't fit the HPI wheels. It's just annoying when wheels are advertised as 2.2" and 60 and I've even seen some advertised as 2.2 and 62. Perhaps all those were 2.2 beads and 60/62 were outer part of the wheels and 2.2 tires would fit them all?

Once I get this spoke wheels thing all figured out I'm going to order 5 sets and be done for a while I don't understand why there's not more interest in the style of the wheels. Everyone can't think the disc wheels are actually visually appealing. Thanks again for your help.
egalsim likes this.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

This hobby is so annoying, LOL. I have some 60mm rims (ugly yellow disc style) that I purchased for some 60mm JConcepts smoothies for a local track. I can always put these cheap tires on them if they don't fit the HPI wheels. It's just annoying when wheels are advertised as 2.2" and 60 and I've even seen some advertised as 2.2 and 62. Perhaps all those were 2.2 beads and 60/62 were outer part of the wheels and 2.2 tires would fit them all?

Once I get this spoke wheels thing all figured out I'm going to order 5 sets and be done for a while I don't understand why there's not more interest in the style of the wheels. Everyone can't think the disc wheels are actually visually appealing. Thanks again for your help.
I feel you. I got out of RC for a loong time because of those stupid looking dish wheels. Dish wheels were half the reason I stopped racing touring car, the other half was the ugly dodge stratus bodies. I don't even like them on my 1/8 scale buggies.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

but:

The HPI wheels are perfect! Very upset I missed your post and spent that money trying to make the other ones fit, LOL. Anyways, I'm off to order a few sets before they're gone. Thanks again and again!
Old 03-18-2017, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

The HPI wheels are perfect! Very upset I missed your post and spent that money trying to make the other ones fit, LOL. Anyways, I'm off to order a few sets before they're gone. Thanks again and again!
You're welcome!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service