First buggy after being away for 6ish years >

First buggy after being away for 6ish years

First buggy after being away for 6ish years

Old 02-09-2017, 09:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default First buggy after being away for 6ish years

Hey folks,

I'm back after a huge hiatus from all things R/C. I used to run a jrxs w/ a velociti 6.5 ... nothing serious as my local place didn't have any notion of a track.

I finally had enough of my life together that two weeks ago I made a plunge back into this world and decided i'd try the off-road world. As such, I picked up a B6D, a reedy 510R esc, a fantom FR1 6T, a futaba R304SB receiver and a futaba t4pv transmitter. As well as, of course, a 2s lipo pack and charger.

I spent a solid 6 hours putting it all together and with the weather being terrible the last two weeks, was only able to get it out and give it a whirl once. It was quite quick and brought back those feelings of just pure enjoyment.

I've not done any kind of racing other than rigging up a basic "track" for my buddies and I to attempt to get around cleanly.. but that was all flat and tended to be carpet. Any tips for what I should work on to get the skills I need to be able to handle this rig off road?

Also, any suggestions for this chassis that may be worth improving upon w/ upgrades?

It's good to be back to these forums.. i'm glad my username wasn't deleted

Cheers
Kul

edit:
I also was shocked to see novak went out of business :/ loved their stuff.

Final real question - I miss not having a setup board/system to help get everything dialed in right. In particular, I miss my old hudy setup board. Are there are any suggestions for something that would do the trick for offroad?

Last edited by Kultar; 02-09-2017 at 09:28 AM. Reason: additional question
Old 02-09-2017, 09:29 AM
Tech Addict

Have any local tracks? If so, go there and practice practice practice. All the tech and hop-ups in the world are useless without putting in the wheel time. You got a good buggy to start, maybe a little too much motor but you can dial it back.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I would start by reading through some of this thread...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...6d-thread.html

That should give you tons of setup tips and setup sheets and potential upgrades to look into.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

@SnotRkt - Since i'm now in a new area, my local place has a track.. i'm hoping to get some routine practice going there. The half hour I spent running the buggy definitely chipped off some of the rust i've accumulated. However, i've never really done any kind of jumps or 'rough' terrain. Hopefully I can pick up the skills needed for that.

@EbbTide - I'm currently at page 46 on that thread. Lots of information going on and terms i'm slowly picking up on. I think by the time i'm more capable on track I should understand a lot of what's going on

Thanks guys!
Old 02-09-2017, 10:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Congrats! Same boat as me. I have always had one or two but havent raced in 15yrs and never off road. I went T5M though! Cant wait to have some decent weather and go check out the two tracks around me.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kultar
Final real question - I miss not having a setup board/system to help get everything dialed in right. In particular, I miss my old hudy setup board. Are there are any suggestions for something that would do the trick for offroad?
While you definitely don't need a setup station, if you really would like one, they do make them for 1/10 off-road. Here are a few options:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hudy-un...108905/p150180

https://www.amainhobbies.com/arrowma...170041/p441340
Old 02-09-2017, 04:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

That baby is gonna be quick as is, but you can dial it back on the esc/can. Have fun, I just got into racing last spring and I'm hooked. Been driving over 2 hours every other weekend to race this winter.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

A 17.5
Old 02-09-2017, 07:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the links to the setup stations @smrakocy, I was looking at those. I'm not sure i'll go that way just yet.. we'll see if I can't dial it in properly w/o.

@racingnewb - I've already turned it way back.. I realized off the bat that it was a little too much too much practice to do before I get to that point.

@Logi Maker - what do you mean by `a 17.5`? meaning.. I should get a 17.5T motor? Dialing back the one I got isn't sufficient? I'm far from being ready for anything resembling a race. As @SnotRkt pointed out before, I've got substantial amount of practice to do
Old 02-09-2017, 07:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

17.5 is a great size motor to get back on the saddle with.... run some stock and then when you're ready slap a mod I there... might save you some parts and tires...
Old 02-10-2017, 06:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Alright, I'll definitely check into it - thanks! Any suggestions for what I should be looking for when selecting the right motor?
Old 02-10-2017, 07:09 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kultar
Thanks for the links to the setup stations @smrakocy, I was looking at those. I'm not sure i'll go that way just yet.. we'll see if I can't dial it in properly w/o.
You're welcome. I think you should definitely be able to dial it in without them. I pretty much get away with a flat setup board, ride height gauge, camber gauge, and a set of calipers.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

There's a thread on best 17.5 motor around here somewhere if you wanted to go that route. Just me personally, I would run whatcha got and start racing next week or the following at the latest! 2-3 practice days and then go racing to get back into the environment and to get the blood pumping again. Then practice some more and more and more.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hey Folks! More questions!

Also -- looks like I can't do math quite well... its been almost 8 years since i've been away! Crazy!!

So I picked up a Tekin Gen3 17.5 and 21.5 -- hopefully that will be a good place to start.

I do have a few questions... turns out my LHS is currently converting their track to astro turf - looks to be 14-15mm length on the strands from the sample I saw.

I'm glad the post about turf (http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...rf-thread.html) got picked up and has some great information in it. However, due to being totally not familiar with the majority of the terms in there, could some give some advice on what to look for when selecting the proper tires for fresh astro turf?

I'm assuming that due it not being worn in yet(from reading the thread), longer pins would be more helpful.

Also - where can I go to get these tires? And are there suggestions on what wheels to mount them to? Foam Inserts are also a thing? The whole world of off-road tires are just a bit much to digest all at once

Thanks in advance! I appreciate the helpful advice from everyone!
Old 02-14-2017, 08:02 AM
Tech Adept

Most people run Schumacher tires on turf, but JConcepts and Pro-Line also have turf specific tires. I've never actually raced on turf, but from what I can tell, a good starting tire would be Schumacher Cut Stagger fronts with either Schumacher Mini Pin or Mini Dart rears, both in yellow compound. You can buy them pre-mounted or mount them yourself. Just a heads up that the fronts use narrower wheels than normal 2wd fronts and don't actually use inserts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.