Wiki Posts
Search

TLR 22 complete aluminum gear diff

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default TLR 22 complete aluminum gear diff

Unless I'm mistaken this is a new release by TLR. The part #is tlr332067. Looks like the entire assembly is aluminum including the gears. I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on this. I have a 22sct 2.0 waiting to be built. I already have the aluminum idler and had planned on getting the rtr gear diff to cut down on maintenance. The new aluminum diff is over double the cost of fhe plastic unit. I'm trying to decide if I'd be better off getting all aluminum, or if it would be a waste of $. I'm leaning toward the aluminum, but am undecided. Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lstmadness
Unless I'm mistaken this is a new release by TLR. The part #is tlr332067. Looks like the entire assembly is aluminum including the gears. I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on this. I have a 22sct 2.0 waiting to be built. I already have the aluminum idler and had planned on getting the rtr gear diff to cut down on maintenance. The new aluminum diff is over double the cost of fhe plastic unit. I'm trying to decide if I'd be better off getting all aluminum, or if it would be a waste of $. I'm leaning toward the aluminum, but am undecided. Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Yes that differential just came out. I put it in my sct 2.0 a couple weeks ago and tried it last week. It certainly feels smoother than the ready to run diff I had before and so far no leaks. If the extra money is no object I would get the new one, the old one seeped fluid for me even with the kyosho O rings.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the response. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I'll give one a try. If it's even a small amount smoother and seals only a little better that helps justify the cost. I can't even see it, so it needs to do something for over double the $ . It'd be nice to find a deal on one, but being a new part that's unlikely.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Racing? Go with the new piece. I tried the RTR diff for carpet and switched to the Serpent gear diff. But raced last week with the new TLR one and it's great.

Bashing? Save money and get the RTR diff.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Being that the new diff is of a planetary design, the thicker oils used should help prevent leakage
Old 02-13-2017, 03:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bubbaslash
Being that the new diff is of a planetary design, the thicker oils used should help prevent leakage
The new one wouldn't leak anyway. That RTR diff was horrible. The Serpent wouldn't leak no matter how thin you went. Yes, thicker oil won't leak as easily, but that wasn't the reason the RTR diff leaked. It was just a bad design. Not to mention it was very notchy. It's very telling that the original diff was a Losi part (meant for RTR and just grease to be used). It was long past time for TLR to come out with a diff... and it is a good one!
Old 02-13-2017, 06:26 AM
Tech Regular

I use the RTR diff in my 22 3.0 buggy and it seems a bit notchy. Also the RTR diff is quite a bit heavier than the ball diff so i assume that this aluminum gear diff will solve the problem of added drag from the weight alone.

Anyone have one they can weigh?
Old 02-13-2017, 07:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Callaway
Racing? Go with the new piece. I tried the RTR diff for carpet and switched to the Serpent gear diff. But raced last week with the new TLR one and it's great.

It won't be used for bashing, It'll be raced on a backyard track. Not a real competitive place, but tons of fun. I'm going to go with the aluminum diff. If the rtr diff tends to leak that's enough reason fo me to try the new one.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Callaway

I just picked up the new aluminum gear diff for my 22sct 3.0 and I'm running on high bite carpet what weight diff oil should I put in it?
Old 02-22-2017, 03:03 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Swanyman13
I just picked up the new aluminum gear diff for my 22sct 3.0 and I'm running on high bite carpet what weight diff oil should I put in it?
I just started with 30k in my stock buggy. Wasn't diffing out on that track. I've been in dirt mode since, so I haven't tried anything else. Go to the 22 3.0 buggy thread and ask, maybe someone there has some better input.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kevinatfms
I use the RTR diff in my 22 3.0 buggy and it seems a bit notchy. Also the RTR diff is quite a bit heavier than the ball diff so i assume that this aluminum gear diff will solve the problem of added drag from the weight alone.

I saw someone do a weight comparison on facebook on the 22empire page, pretty sure the new gear diff weighed the same as the ball diff which is much lighter than the rtr gear diff
Old 02-23-2017, 07:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Swanyman13
We run on high bite carpet. I started off with the 30k that came in the kit. Car had great rotation. When I was running the rtr diff usually ran 7k. The new diff feels better but has some gear whine since it is all the internal gears aluminum now, since I switched to the laydown setup.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kevinatfms

I had my three diffs out and decided to weight them today on my digital scale. I got-

Ball diff - 31.7 grams
RTR Gear- 37.1 grams
New aluminum Gear- 32.2 grams
Old 02-26-2017, 12:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

You should put some grease in your transmission, because I have heard of the diff being chipped with the aluminium idler gear
Old 11-30-2017, 09:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Installed the gear diff last night with 7k fluid and ran it on turf. What a difference that made. I'll be ordering another to put in my 22t 4.0 coming in a few weeks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.