R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default Slipper eliminator

What are your opinions on using a slipper eliminator? What are the pros and cons? Are they necessary for stock racing? Are any other parts needed other than what comes with the package? Are different spur gears needed?
Thanks
Old 02-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

You'll get a lot of answers here, so I'll just give my opinion. If you're running an a track and can fullyou lock your slipper and still drive it just fine, then the eliminator will reduce weight. Some people like it and some don't. I personally likeep it and enjoy the weight savings an the extra punch. Depending on which eliminator you get you may need special spurs. The schelle eliminator requires you to run theit spur while the exotek ones require either the exotek or Kimbrough spurs.
Chris Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrg2 View Post
What are your opinions on using a slipper eliminator? What are the pros and cons? Are they necessary for stock racing? Are any other parts needed other than what comes with the package? Are different spur gears needed?
Thanks
Most people that run 17.5 will run the eliminator because the 17.5 doesn't really produce enough torque to get the slipper to slip so they get rid of it to save weight and eliminate rotational mass.

If you run a mod motor use the slipper.

**** "Luxury" ****
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

For most 17.5 2wd buggy racing,
You can get away with or use a slipper eliminator/lockout setup. What all you'd need to put one on will depend on what car you have now and what kind of slipper you're already using (kit or aftermarket). Having said that, I know why many use a eliminator/lockout setup for many of the reasons stated above, though it seems there are a few fast stock racers using slippers as of late. Not sure why that is, but I'm surely they have their reasons.

Personally when running a 17.5, I've ran a lockout setup, as my local track runs on slicks and the grip is pretty high. There have been a few times though where the grip wasn't as high and I'd get some wheel spin with the lockout that I'd probably not have gotten with a slipper on there. I know a few racers that run a locked out slipper on their 13.5's as well, but I've always opted for run a slipper on anything more than a 17.5.

RB6 - MBX7R Eco
Mugen Seki, Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:05 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I use the TLR direct drive on my TLR 3.0 buggies for stock (of course, that's also what my SR came with). Besides the benefits already mentioned above, it's also one less thing to worry about when you race. When I first started, I had some horrible heats and mains because the slipper wasn't set right or loosened up between rounds and I forgot to tighten it back up. TLR has their own direct drive spur gears although I have read some will drill the three holes needed in other brands, especially if they want to use a different tooth count than what TLR makes available.

Last edited by rayzcar; 02-13-2017 at 11:53 PM.
rayzcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:02 AM   #6
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

We run a Carpet High grip 17.5 class and it's kind of a toss up, I think half the drivers run one, and half don't and it comes down to personal choice and driving style.
A few guys say with a slipper installed and it not quite cranked down completely gives them a smoother acceleration.
I can't say they are a must have because I know at least 2 drivers that don't and they consistently finish in the top 5 in the Amains week after week.
I wouldn't even consider pulling one on anything but a 17.5.
Bmans5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Pro: Faster acceleration. Less rotating mass. Cooler motor.
Con: Can be harder to drive if you have a lead finger.

Like anything in stock, it's not necessary but can give you an advantage. Assuming it's for a B6(signature), you'll probably want a 69 spur. RC Shox makes the lightest one in the business and is high quality stuff.

I don't know how it weighs out for AE but for my Serpent, it was half the weight as the Exotek.
shagino is offline   Reply With Quote