Search

Running Slicks: Best results and which foam inserts

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 12:42 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Running Slicks: Best results and which foam inserts

Primes hook up best at my track, but the foams go way before the tire. Anyone have an opinion on which foams are best for slicks? May try out some AKA black foams I have lying around. Local track owner swears by Primes with JC foam inserts.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAE
Primes hook up best at my track, but the foams go way before the tire. Anyone have an opinion on which foams are best for slicks? May try out some AKA black foams I have lying around. Local track owner swears by Primes with JC foam inserts.
Try the JC grey foams, they seem to last the longest. You want a foam that will not make the tire profile rounded, a flatter profile will give the best contact patch. i have noticed with the Primes, the 2.2 tire is noticeably rounder than the 2.4 but this could be the insert itself. One way to get a flatter profile is to cut away the ribs from the inside that contacts the wheel.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I find the AKA slicks are a lot more aggressive than the PL Primes. At my local track a lot of guys run AKA rears and PL fronts for smoother steering. You can also run 4wd fronts to smooth the car out.

The foams will all depend on the track. I like the AKA blacks because of the stability they provide.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:16 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Thank you both. When you say AKA blacks because of stabililty, do they take a little traction away, as they are very stiff? thx

- My track is super high grip, and worry about traction rolling sweepers. Zero wheelspin unless divits/bumps develop.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Good thread, I just started running slicks as well. I have some primes ready to be glued but also have some new jc grey foams. I guess I will mount but not glue both foams and see which ones make the tires the most flat
Old 11-18-2016, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JAE
Thank you both. When you say AKA blacks because of stabililty, do they take a little traction away, as they are very stiff? thx

- My track is super high grip, and worry about traction rolling sweepers. Zero wheelspin unless divits/bumps develop.
They take away a slight bit but if your track is super high grip then you won't notice. The blacks don't let the tire roll side to side as much so your car is more predictable.

If you're fighting traction rolling and bumps, the black foams are 100% the way to go in my experience.

The JC tires work well traction wise but are way less stable than AKA and PL in my experience.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Do you guys poke holes in your slicks? Getting ready to mount mine, I covered the holes in the wheels and then started thinking maybe I should leave those holes open and not put holes in the tire. Obviously since I'm running slicks the track is smooth and not dusty so I don't know if that plays a role in what to put holes in
Old 11-18-2016, 07:14 AM
JAE
Tech Master

Thx. I had aka slicks awhile ago. They took at least 10 runs to come in. Didn't recall if it was the rubber or the foam that needed to come in. You're correct though, once they came in they were very aggressive. A bit too aggressive in
Originally Posted by seth556
They take away a slight bit but if your track is super high grip then you won't notice. The blacks don't let the tire roll side to side as much so your car is more predictable.

If you're fighting traction rolling and bumps, the black foams are 100% the way to go in my experience.

The JC tires work well traction wise but are way less stable than AKA and PL in my experience.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Holes in slicks? or holes in the wheel? Sorry for being a pain but I got everything laid out to glue but waiting to see if I should punch holes in these primes
Old 11-18-2016, 08:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racingnewb
Holes in slicks? or holes in the wheel? Sorry for being a pain but I got everything laid out to glue but waiting to see if I should punch holes in these primes
Each way has its fans, but holes in tires is probably more popular.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

I put holes in the wheels and glue filters over the holes to keep dirt out. Liners last longer that way with no dirt getting in to abrade them.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

How about re-foaming slicks? As stated above, the Proline foams go bad pretty fast.

I have re-foamed tread tires before, but never slicks - pretty hard to tell when slicks are too worn out.
Also a big fan of the JC grey foams, at least in tread tires.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm gonna use the jc foams and may put really tiny holes in the tires once I see how small of a hole my leather punch can do. I'll see what kind of screen I have to try to make a filter for the wheels. Thank you guys for the help
Old 11-19-2016, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

My track is pretty abrasive so slicks come in a few minutes. Although if I want fresh tires to be ready for racing I'll scuff the shiny part of the tire off. I chuck the tire in a drill and use a "foot file" to scuff the tire, takes maybe 10 seconds a tire. I'll attach a photo of a foot file, you can buy them at Target and other stores.

If the foams have to come in for your track then try recycling foams. I've also heard of guys using downey to break in foams, not sure on the entire procedure.

For sauce, diesel works the best, second best is SXT 3.0 or any other thin tire sauce that they would typically use on an on-road carpet track.

For holes, I usually put three on the inside sidewall of the tire.
Attached Thumbnails Running Slicks:  Best results and which foam inserts-large_sanding_fo_4e0aa651d206c.jpg  
Old 11-19-2016, 08:06 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by belewis01
How about re-foaming slicks? As stated above, the Proline foams go bad pretty fast.

I have re-foamed tread tires before, but never slicks - pretty hard to tell when slicks are too worn out.
Also a big fan of the JC grey foams, at least in tread tires.
People do it. I find that when a tire is going away it stretches out and the foam no longer fills it out properly. They still run OK, but not as good. It's worthwhile to re-foam and use for practice if you run a lot and your track is hard on tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.