Search
Like Tree197Likes

Schumacher KC 2wd Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 09:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
This was the 3rd week of running my KC at my home indoor clay track (and the only place the car was no very good) but all the work I did this week paid off. Last week I made the A in mod but a lot of are fast guys where not at the track but this week they where and I qualified 4th in the A and finished 4th in the A. I wasn't the fastest but my car was nice and drivable in the main while many ran some fast laps but also traction rolled and where wrecking. Car had great steering all day but in the main I went to a less aggressive tire compound and it paid off as although I pushed a little car at least would run consistent laps for the whole main. Now I have the car at a drivable setup (was terrible the first 2 weeks) but now I have something to work with and can't wait to try more stuff on Tuesday.
Good to hear you are getting good results!

Did you get the ball diff in there yet?
Old 01-22-2018, 07:28 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motorcitymatt
Good to hear you are getting good results!

Did you get the ball diff in there yet?
Yes I did get the ball diff in. Made the car more predictable from middle out of the corners. It wasn't so erratic and power out of the corner was a little smoother for me as well but a little of that is my AE slipper pads are breaking in and working great for me.

I'm very close to the Orloski's Reedy setup from 2017 and especially with the shock oils, springs and pistons. I'm at 500wt from and 350 rear with red rear springs and green front springs. Huge difference in my car as well as I took that weight out of the front of my buggy that was under the servo. I'm going to get the 4 degree toe block setup to mess with as well as I'm running the stock 3 degree rear strap. My other setups are pretty close but I'm a little different on the my shims on the rear hubs and on that camber like by 1 mm more on each part of that. His setup along with the Tony Newland's help have been great. Tony's knowledge of the overall and what some adjustments do that I was fuzzy on really has been a huge help in the massive turn around in my car a my home track. Not use to running a lay down type tranny car and how aggressive they can be and especially this week are track had more traction that it had in years. Also not really use to ever needed to run that high of oil in the front of my buggies before.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Looking for gearing recommendations for a KC, 17.5 Tekin Spec-R Blinky and smallish Gray Ozite Carpet track with low14 sec. Lap Times Straight is approx. 75ft long
Old 01-22-2018, 11:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It's getting harder to answer questions about gearing in spec classes as motor manufacturers are starting to take different approaches to power band (torque / rpm). The Spec-R is a perfect example. It comes out of the box with a sticker on it saying "use less teeth on your pinion" then usual.

With a typical 17.5 these days on a smaller track with my KC I like to be in the 5.6-6.0:1 range for FDR. With that motor I am guessing you will want to be at least 6.5:1. Ask the Tekin folks what they recommend just to make sure.
wyd likes this.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scott R
Looking for gearing recommendations for a KC, 17.5 Tekin Spec-R Blinky and smallish Gray Ozite Carpet track with low14 sec. Lap Times Straight is approx. 75ft long
I run 81/24 with that same motor in my KC. Track is a tight, medium traction clay. When I had a motiv MC2 in the same car I ran 76/26.

If there is a long straight to sweeper I look at going up a tooth on the pinion, otherwise I keep the Tekin at 81/24
Old 01-22-2018, 02:48 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm getting back into racing after too many years to admit. I'm going to run 2wd stock 17.5 on a mixed carpet track. I am not sure what the exact carpet it, but it's black and felt feeling, along with green astro turf on the features and jumps. The track layout changes monthly. The next switch they are looking at putting in a very technical track that takes the laptimes from 16s to 22 or so.

The predominant car here is the B6 running schumacher pins.

I'm torn.. I see the value in running the B6 like everyone else, but - it's just like everyone else! One guy has a brand new KC that looked awesome and he said it was awesome. didn't get to talk much beyond that, but it got me thinking.

I'm hearing that the B6 run very well box stock, how about the KC? Is the box stock setup pretty good for the KC on carpet?

I realize I'll have to stock some of my own parts, but that's not a huge deal. I like the idea of being a bit different. And, if I can convince my brother to get one, then it'll be easier to share parts.

So.. how easy is it to get the KC to hang with the B6?
Old 01-22-2018, 07:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by McKrakken
I'm getting back into racing after too many years to admit. I'm going to run 2wd stock 17.5 on a mixed carpet track. I am not sure what the exact carpet it, but it's black and felt feeling, along with green astro turf on the features and jumps. The track layout changes monthly. The next switch they are looking at putting in a very technical track that takes the laptimes from 16s to 22 or so.

The predominant car here is the B6 running schumacher pins.

I'm torn.. I see the value in running the B6 like everyone else, but - it's just like everyone else! One guy has a brand new KC that looked awesome and he said it was awesome. didn't get to talk much beyond that, but it got me thinking.

I'm hearing that the B6 run very well box stock, how about the KC? Is the box stock setup pretty good for the KC on carpet?

I realize I'll have to stock some of my own parts, but that's not a huge deal. I like the idea of being a bit different. And, if I can convince my brother to get one, then it'll be easier to share parts.

So.. how easy is it to get the KC to hang with the B6?
KC was built, designed for and excels on carpet or Astro. If you can get past everyone else running a B6 and keep a stash of the usual spares, you should be good.

I run sway bars occasionally front, rear or both, but that's the only additional stuff I've bought (and the core alloy servo arm) for performance. I run a carbon chassis which cuts weight but mainly I have one because I like carbon chassis! You don't *need* it and some guys say to use the alloy kit one.

Basically, you won't need a ton of hop ups out of the box. The kit gives you a choice of 4 motor positions with belts included for all of them.
Gear diff, carbon shock towers, innovative design are all included.
Cookie1892 likes this.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by oldernoob
KC was built, designed for and excels on carpet or Astro. If you can get past everyone else running a B6 and keep a stash of the usual spares, you should be good.

I run sway bars occasionally front, rear or both, but that's the only additional stuff I've bought (and the core alloy servo arm) for performance. I run a carbon chassis which cuts weight but mainly I have one because I like carbon chassis! You don't *need* it and some guys say to use the alloy kit one.

Basically, you won't need a ton of hop ups out of the box. The kit gives you a choice of 4 motor positions with belts included for all of them.
Gear diff, carbon shock towers, innovative design are all included.
Thanks for the response!

I'm definitely contemplating going with the KC. It may come down to which is in stock first! :P

Tuning-wise, is the box stock setup pretty good? My only real concern here is that if It's not great out of the box, I don't have resources at the track to help get it screaming - they are all B6 guys. I don't mind doing my research (that's why I'm here) and learning, but that will of course be a long process.

I actually like the idea of being different - as long as I'm not embarrassing myself! lol I want to be competitive and get people thinking about adopting another car - then maybe our shop will stock parts for it.

Is there a list of recommended spares to keep on hand? Also, are there any immediate alloy upgrades that should be made?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2018, 08:15 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Thanks for the response!

I'm definitely contemplating going with the KC. It may come down to which is in stock first! :P

Tuning-wise, is the box stock setup pretty good? My only real concern here is that if It's not great out of the box, I don't have resources at the track to help get it screaming - they are all B6 guys. I don't mind doing my research (that's why I'm here) and learning, but that will of course be a long process.

I actually like the idea of being different - as long as I'm not embarrassing myself! lol I want to be competitive and get people thinking about adopting another car - then maybe our shop will stock parts for it.

Is there a list of recommended spares to keep on hand? Also, are there any immediate alloy upgrades that should be made?

Thanks!
Not sure your location by my friends local shop has a new KC in stock at Pit STop Hobbies in Mt Joy Pa and the pricing is lower than any place I see on the internet. Might be worth checking into it. They are open 12-8 except Thurs 3-8. Ask for Joey and tell him Brian sent yeah.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:23 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

After finally getting my KC working pretty good at my home I can't wait tonight to go and practice with the car and work on dialing my setup in even more since I'm on the right track. I'm really motivated now to work on it since I see huge improvements from the week before plus knowing that it will also make the car even better at the other two indoor tracks I been going to every few weeks. 2nd half of the indoor season is going to be fun.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by wyd
Not sure your location by my friends local shop has a new KC in stock at Pit STop Hobbies in Mt Joy Pa and the pricing is lower than any place I see on the internet. Might be worth checking into it. They are open 12-8 except Thurs 3-8. Ask for Joey and tell him Brian sent yeah.
Thanks! I appreciate that.. I'll give them a call.

I just need to decide if I want the stability of the B6 with the parts support at my track and that it's the most common, or going my own direction with the Schumacher.
wyd likes this.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks! I appreciate that.. I'll give them a call.

I just need to decide if I want the stability of the B6 with the parts support at my track and that it's the most common, or going my own direction with the Schumacher.
Sometimes the most sensible option isn't the most exciting! It is a risk to run a car on your own at a track. I'm the only one at my local and if I break I can't borrow anything. All I'll say is that this car can be as easy and stable to drive or as edgy as you like.
Good luck with whatever you choose, it's toy cars, fun whatever you run :-)
wyd likes this.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:14 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by oldernoob
Sometimes the most sensible option isn't the most exciting! It is a risk to run a car on your own at a track. I'm the only one at my local and if I break I can't borrow anything. All I'll say is that this car can be as easy and stable to drive or as edgy as you like.
Good luck with whatever you choose, it's toy cars, fun whatever you run :-)
At the shop I work and race at I'm the only one unless the owner from another shop I know comes and races with us and then he has a KD that he brings. I have always ran stuff that is not the norm and 95% of the time I'm happy I have done that. Sure I might of broke and not had something but overall its been worth it.
oldernoob likes this.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by wyd
At the shop I work and race at I'm the only one unless the owner from another shop I know comes and races with us and then he has a KD that he brings. I have always ran stuff that is not the norm and 95% of the time I'm happy I have done that. Sure I might of broke and not had something but overall its been worth it.
How are you finding the durability of the KC to be? I throw questions around in other threads and I hear I will go crazy with issues.. things breaking and lack of local support.

Obviously i will need to stock some basic parts.. which ones?
Old 01-25-2018, 10:24 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

How are you finding the durability of the KC to be? I throw questions around in other threads and I hear I will go crazy with issues.. things breaking and lack of local support.

Obviously i will need to stock some basic parts.. which ones?
I broke 1 rear A arm but that was totally my fault as I hit a steel beam at the shop so that wasn't the fault of the car and then I traction rolled last Sunday and broke a caster block as I flipped like 8 times and hit the wall of are building. Only other broke part was after a race I was walking around to get my car and the next group went on the stand and some dumb ass blasted my car from behind and broke a bottom shock end and that's it. I would say only the caster block was a standard racing issue with the broken part. This car don't break anymore than any other brand I have had. I'm very easy on my cars only breaking 1 or 2 parts in indoor season. I watch guys will all brands break weekly so if your one of those guys then this car will be like any other but I can't say it breaks more than the AE or Losi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.