Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Advise on a new Rustler build >

Advise on a new Rustler build

Advise on a new Rustler build

Old 01-12-2017, 07:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Advise on a new Rustler build

Hello, My son recently smashed his new Rustler and I have almost completed rebuilding it. Good news is, I have extra parts now so I decided to build a 1/10 Rustler for myself.

I wanted your opinions on a new build. Im looking at the following Motor/ESCs and donít know what would be the best application on 2S Lipoís

Castle Creations SV3 Sidewinder SCT System with 1410-3800kV or
Hobbywing Ezrun-3656 (4700Kv) SC8 combo. 120A esc 4700KV

Additional question I have are these motors/ESC a better choice than Traxxas Velineon 3500? It would be fun to be able to beat my son in a race lol..

For gearing Iím looking at 28/83 (strictly based on Traxxas chart application) Any thoughts on the best gear sizing to use?

Appreciate everyoneís help with this?
Old 01-12-2017, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rustlervxl View Post
Hello, My son recently smashed his new Rustler and I have almost completed rebuilding it. Good news is, I have extra parts now so I decided to build a 1/10 Rustler for myself.

I wanted your opinions on a new build. Im looking at the following Motor/ESCs and donít know what would be the best application on 2S Lipoís

Castle Creations SV3 Sidewinder SCT System with 1410-3800kV or
Hobbywing Ezrun-3656 (4700Kv) SC8 combo. 120A esc 4700KV

Additional question I have are these motors/ESC a better choice than Traxxas Velineon 3500? It would be fun to be able to beat my son in a race lol..

For gearing Iím looking at 28/83 (strictly based on Traxxas chart application) Any thoughts on the best gear sizing to use?

Appreciate everyoneís help with this?
Personally if you want to go with Castle, I'd wait a week or two and try to get their new Mamba X esc and motor combo. I think their 4600kv combo would be what you want if you just want a fast basher.

The 3800kv though would be my choice. It would run cooler and have more torque on 2s, but the bonus is that you can also run the 3800kv system on 3s without worrying about the motor over heating (depending on gearing of course). Now on 3s it would be insanely fast so you should have no problem smoking your son if need be lol and its 2s power is more than enough to keep a smile on any basher's face.

And as far as which is the better company. I would personally stick with Castle over Traxxas. The VXL system is pretty idiot proof, but the extra options and customer support you get from Castle makes it worthwhile. Plus their Mamba ESC's can handle larger batteries better than the VXL.

And while I do hear great things about the hobbywing system, I can't person ally vouch for it since I've never had a chance to run one of their ESC's.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Hello Ya the mamba is to pricey for me at this point. When your referring to the 4600 is that the Castle Combo?
Does anyone have an opinion on the Hobbywing Ezrun SC8 combo?

Basically like most i'm trying to get the most bang for the buck without the wife noticing. lol
Old 01-12-2017, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Hello Ya the mamba is to pricey for me at this point. When your referring to the 4600 is that the Castle Combo?
Does anyone have an opinion on the Hobbywing Ezrun SC8 combo?

Basically like most i'm trying to get the most bang for the buck without the wife noticing. lol
Yeah I hear ya it is a bit pricey out of the gate compared to the Hobbywing.

And yes I was referring to both the 4600 MMP combo and the 3800kv MMP combo.

I have heard good things about the sc8 combo. I hear it's pretty easy to setup and allows you to use their program card which is a nice feature
Old 01-12-2017, 07:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you want bang for buck, why not go with a hobbywing motor as well? The velineon esc overheats easily and the hw sc8 is an excellent choice for 10th scale applications. There are lots of other budget brands like tacon/leopard that will deliver much better value than castle and I'm sure I'll get an earfull from the castle devotees for saying so. Their mantra will always start and end with "you'll get what you pay for". Castle makes excellent stuff, but half of what you pay for is their marketing. IMHO, of course.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lexyp View Post
If you want bang for buck, why not go with a hobbywing motor as well? The velineon esc overheats easily and the hw sc8 is an excellent choice for 10th scale applications. There are lots of other budget brands like tacon/leopard that will deliver much better value than castle and I'm sure I'll get an earfull from the castle devotees for saying so. Their mantra will always start and end with "you'll get what you pay for". Castle makes excellent stuff, but half of what you pay for is their marketing. IMHO, of course.
I just generally recommend castle to folks looking to bash because they're simple to setup and my castle esc's have taken a beating in the past.

I can't personally recommend HW because I've never used their stuff but I definitely know a lot of people who love their gear so I'm not saying it's a bad idea.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by EbbTide View Post
I just generally recommend castle to folks looking to bash because they're simple to setup and my castle esc's have taken a beating in the past.

I can't personally recommend HW because I've never used their stuff but I definitely know a lot of people who love their gear so I'm not saying it's a bad idea.
Sorry, Ebb. I wasn't referring to you as the castle devotees. I own both castle and non castle stuff myself, but I'm just referring to the numerous forums where people get hammered for recommending anything other than castle. There are lots of good budget motors out there.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:03 PM
Tech Adept

To be honest, I can't really recommend the velineon motor either. It runs fine with stock gearing in normal weather, but I don't even try to run them in the heat of summer. May as well bring out some marshmallows on a stick and roast them over the velineon after you're done.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Sorry, Ebb. I wasn't referring to you as the castle devotees. I own both castle and non castle stuff myself, but I'm just referring to the numerous forums where people get hammered for recommending anything other than castle. There are lots of good budget motors out there.
Lol no sweat man. Those kind of fan boys exist for everything and it gets super annoying when they claim their brand is the best without trying out the competition.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

To be honest, I can't really recommend the velineon motor either. It runs fine with stock gearing in normal weather, but I don't even try to run them in the heat of summer. May as well bring out some marshmallows on a stick and roast them over the velineon after you're done.
Yeah I'd have to agree. I had good luck with the vxl combo in my Blitz wayyy back when I first got in the hobby. But I had to gear conservatively and definitely couldn't run it hard during the summer here in Cali. I always looked for shade lol.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:45 AM
Tech Adept

The hobbywing is the way to go currently run 4 of there esc's and haven't had one problem.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Morning. Well im definetly leaning torwards the
Castle Creations SV3 Sidewinder SCT System with 1410-3800kV setup. What would be the proper gearing to use for this? Appreciate everyones help.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by EbbTide View Post
Yeah I'd have to agree. I had good luck with the vxl combo in my Blitz wayyy back when I first got in the hobby. But I had to gear conservatively and definitely couldn't run it hard during the summer here in Cali. I always looked for shade lol.
Are you in the east or south bay? SF & peninsula doesn't usually get that hot. I'm in new england now where they have real summers.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Are you in the east or south bay? SF & peninsula doesn't usually get that hot. I'm in new england now where they have real summers.
I'm in the south Bay and it gets beyond triple digits mid summer. But definitely in SF it's pretty mild year round. I'd love to live there if it wasn't so damn expensive Lol

The only good thing about our heat is its mostly dry. I'm sure you've got that damp heat to deal with in the east.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Morning. Well im definetly leaning torwards the
Castle Creations SV3 Sidewinder SCT System with 1410-3800kV setup. What would be the proper gearing to use for this? Appreciate everyones help.
Honestly I would start with stock gearing and check Temps. Then gear up if things are cool or gear down if it gets toasty

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.