Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Advise on a new Rustler build >

Advise on a new Rustler build

Advise on a new Rustler build

Old 01-13-2017, 11:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EbbTide View Post
I'm in the south Bay and it gets beyond triple digits mid summer. But definitely in SF it's pretty mild year round. I'd love to live there if it wasn't so damn expensive Lol

The only good thing about our heat is its mostly dry. I'm sure you've got that damp heat to deal with in the east.
SF is nice, but unless you're the 1%, you'll end up living in the fog belt and not see the sun for half the year. hahaha
Move almost anywhere else in the country and you can get double the house for half the price. More $ for RCs!
And yeah, we got the damp heat, dry heat, heat heat, cold cold, and everything in between.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:34 AM
Tech Adept

Honestly I would start with stock gearing and check Temps. Then gear up if things are cool or gear down if it gets toasty
Yup, or you can also cheat and google what others are running with a similar setup. It's a very popular one, so I'm sure there are lots of recommendations. Good luck!
Old 01-13-2017, 12:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

All the stuff you're thinking of buying is good stuff. I'd be concerned about annihilating the drive-train with anything more than the Velinion. The other two are a dangerous combo of high kv and 4 pole. They will produce a lot of fun but for how long is the question. You can always gear for temps. I race the HW setup and its awesome but do you really need to have a sensored system or that much power? The Castle stuff is the bashers delight but if I remember correctly the rustler has plastic rear shafts right? Even the Velineon (which is made to fit perfectly) is a lot. Once again, all good choices for that application.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lexyp View Post
SF is nice, but unless you're the 1%, you'll end up living in the fog belt and not see the sun for half the year. hahaha
Move almost anywhere else in the country and you can get double the house for half the price. More $ for RCs!
And yeah, we got the damp heat, dry heat, heat heat, cold cold, and everything in between.
Lol ain't that the truth. I'm happy in my little city. At least I'm closer to our local track compared to SF. I'll take that any day
Old 01-13-2017, 02:35 PM
Tech Adept

Lol ain't that the truth. I'm happy in my little city. At least I'm closer to our local track compared to SF. I'll take that any day
Now that I'm getting into planes, I regret not moving to a place next to a large empty field. Good thing I have no interest in boats (yet).
Old 01-13-2017, 02:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
All the stuff you're thinking of buying is good stuff. I'd be concerned about annihilating the drive-train with anything more than the Velinion. The other two are a dangerous combo of high kv and 4 pole. They will produce a lot of fun but for how long is the question. You can always gear for temps. I race the HW setup and its awesome but do you really need to have a sensored system or that much power? The Castle stuff is the bashers delight but if I remember correctly the rustler has plastic rear shafts right? Even the Velineon (which is made to fit perfectly) is a lot. Once again, all good choices for that application.
All good points, but he did ask to smoke his son with a better setup, right? A very noble goal with some unintended sacrifices...
Old 01-13-2017, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lexyp View Post
Now that I'm getting into planes, I regret not moving to a place next to a large empty field. Good thing I have no interest in boats (yet).
Lol I feel you on that. We have some decent parks to fly but if there are too many people it gets risky. It's one of the reasons I haven't jumped into flying. I really want to, but there aren't many good places to fly anything other than a micro.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:29 PM
Tech Adept

Lol I feel you on that. We have some decent parks to fly but if there are too many people it gets risky. It's one of the reasons I haven't jumped into flying. I really want to, but there aren't many good places to fly anything other than a micro.
I initially had the same concerns with the added one of losing it in a tree. After I started, I've learned to really like flying. I quelled the concern of losing it in a tree by finding a cheap 3 channel that is crash proof for under $40. Good thing I did because I ended up losing it in quite a few trees but miraculously recovering it each time. Just need to find a day with little to no wind to fly micros. It really is that much more fun than driving.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
As far a castle goes the sv3 wp system might be a better choice.The sct version has has gobs of torque.. I have the system in a proline mt and it,s a wheelie machine also have one in a sc10 both systems have been flawless

I had the sv3 wp system in a T4 thats a bit closer to a rustler I think it was the 4600kv and it was the perfect power plant fot that car to bash around or just go have fun with at the track