Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New Losi Ten-MT's for the kids. Seems like one issue another another. >

New Losi Ten-MT's for the kids. Seems like one issue another another.

New Losi Ten-MT's for the kids. Seems like one issue another another.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New Losi Ten-MT's for the kids. Seems like one issue another another.

UGH...

Where to start. So I've been racing RC trucks since I was a kid. I've always done the build it yourself kits though as I love the hands on building of them.

We decided to get my girlfriends 6 year old son his first real truck for Christmas and we picked up the Losi Ten-MT. I liked the over all design so much I ordered a second one for my daughter and that one will be here this week.

Kinda wondering if we shoulda waited and saw how well the first one held up because it's not.

We have run maybe 5 batteries on it and I've already lost an outdrive coupler. Thank god we found it near where we lost front wheel drive! There was NO Loc-tite on the grub screw. It must have come off at full spin because its dinged to heck.

The other issue we keep having is the axle nuts will NOT stay on. They keep coming loose and the tires keep falling off. The front driver side rim is about stripped out and the rear ones so stripped it no longer usable. We need new 14mm wheel hex adapters and rims now. We have been messing with this truck, new out of the box for 2 days now.

I NEVER had issues like this on builds I did.

Has me wanting built a TLR 22T 2.0 and water proof it instead of getting the second Ten-MT but I think the orders already processed.

Seems to me the axle nuts on my own XXT and GTX were all nylon, those suckers never came loose but then again the rims didn't have center caps that were held on with allen screws so I checked them with each trip to the track. Normally the tires were off before I got to the track so I just always knew they were tight too. Can't really check the Ten-MT's without taking out 3 allen screws.

So what can I do for axle nuts that will NOT come loose?

Also I'm thinking I need to tear this thing down and make sure screws are loc-tited. Anyone else had these issues or other problems?

Last edited by Roadblock45; 01-01-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Maybe "RTR" means "Ready To Repair"

I answered your question about hubs in another thread. You can also get steel or aluminum 14MM hubs meant for the T-Maxx and they will not strip.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Ten mt

I just bought a new Tenacity T which is based off of the same ten series vehicles as the ten mt. I'd try getting a set of 17mm hex adapters which is what I've done with all of my traxxas 1/10 trucks. The tenacity line up uses the 12mm hex. So far I've had a couple issues with it and only ran 3 packs through it so far. I'm dealing with a very wobbly front wheel issue now so I'm a little disappointed in Losi. I could've spent that $400 on a better truck that's for sure.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Had similar problems with a Revo in the day, big wheels will vibrate like hell, 17mm hex is a must and balancing the wheels help too. If your nut is flat remove one side of the anodizing with sandpaper.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I make sure the set screws on the outdrive are always loctited on any vehicle. First thing I did with my ten-mt was put loctite on the screws. The second thing I did was upgrade to 17mm wheel hexes. I didn't have any wheel problems I just wanted to run my 1/8th scale buggy rims. Haven't had too many other issues with mine. Broke a shock cap but that was on a bad landing off a big jump. Cracked the chassis but that was because my 2 year old grabbed the controller and sent it straight into a stone wall at 30mph. And the motor gets hot... especially on 3s but I think most 3800kv motors would get hot in a 4x4 car with an all metal drivetrain on 3s.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Rtr= ready to rebuild. Always strip them, loctite all grub screws, replace the rtr wheel nuts with serrated nylon wheel nuts. Get the alloy hexs and replace parts as they break.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

While you're changing wheel hexes to alum you might as well go to 12mm or 17mm. The ten-mt uses 14mm which is a weird size. 12mm being the standard 10th scale and 17mm being the standard 8th scale. Switching to one of those 2 sizes would give you a lot more wheel/tire options in the future.

I know you said you have 2 of these now and they are for kids. So the cheap option is to just use stock wheel hexes and loctite the wheel nuts on. loctite the screws. Make sure to use blue for all... never red. Hopefully after that the cars will be reliable for you. I haven't had too many issues with mine.