Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi Rock Rey Thread >

Losi Rock Rey Thread

Like Tree19Likes

Losi Rock Rey Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 12:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by NitroStar
Sounds like an important part. Did it break pretty easily?? I would get one if they are correct fitment for fair price.
It broke relatively easily compared to what I would have imagined. I landed pretty hard on the bottom of the left wheel and it cracked. If we are able to get enough backers, only the best quality parts will be produced. Fitment will definitely not be an issue. We work in the aerospace industry and take great pride in the quality of our work!
Old 04-13-2017, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Got my RR in the mail today. Servo horn appears to be ok from the box. Threw in a 2S Lipo and hit the backyard (grass). Initial impression: this rig is fun! Plenty fast to have fun with on 2S Lipo (I'm an experienced hobbyist and advanced racer). If you could only have one RC, this rig would be a good choice. Feels like it can do just about everything.

Don't know if it's the tires, chassis setup, driving surface (grass), or a little of everything but this thing loves to roll over. Turtled it several times. Adjusted what I thought was the steering dual rate on the front knob of the transmitter to address the sharp steering only to find out that was the AVC adjustment. Haven't really figured out how the AVC "feels" yet so I'm undecided about that.

Donkey kick is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed. I jumped it several times and was able to keep the chassis level with mid-air throttle input but I'd like to not have to do this. May also drill some breather holes in the rear tires to soften their behavior a bit.

Really like the built-in EC3 port. Makes hooking up your battery a snap.

Steering feels very sloppy. Servo speed is fast enough for bashing but the whole setup needs to be tightened up. I'll throw on the metal horn I also ordered and see what else can be tuned out of the box. Likely upgrading the servo soon.

I love the looks of the rig. Very rugged and tough looking, right up my alley.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Took my RR out in a gravel parking lot during my lunch break today. Fiddled with the AVC knob to see how it works. I found that if you turn up the AVC past 40-50% then the chassis just fishtails back and forth when you floor it. Kind of counter-productive if you ask me. I made several straight-line passes at full throttle on the gravel and kept dialing back the AVC until it would keep a straight line but not fishtail. Found that my happy spot it about 25% AVC control. Didn't roll the rig as much with it on.

Still no issues with the stock servo horn (knock on wood). I'll watch the Horizon video on Youtube about replacing it and maybe get to it this weekend just because I have the new metal horn on my work table.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

I knew it would be my luck that as soon as I mention I'm not having issues with the stock plastic servo horn it would give me issues. I was running the rig in my backyard today and took a minor roll. Flipped her back on the tires and the steering was turned left at neutral. The plastic horn didn't strip, it just rotated a few teeth during the roll and was stuck in a new position. Replaced it with the metal Losi horn I had and had no further issues running it after that.

FYI, both the plastic and metal horns were REALLY tight on the servo spline. Light tighter than any servo I've ever used. The stock horn had a ton of threadlock on the screw as well.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:32 PM
Tech Rookie

[QUOTE][QUOTE]Hi chaps ,
I've love this thing bought the twin hammers and then found this !!! Oh my god is it amazingly fast but seriously pants at crawling which is what I'm turning it in to ,...slowly .
Savox metal gear 1256 if I remember correctly

Mamba x and 1410 3800kv on route

Chequered flag bead locks ( had to reduce the flange on wheel nut supplied tho to drop in to the recess of the new wheels ) they are proper nice tho, double duce soft foams which work really well too

Aluminium bell crank and servo horn

Aluminium trailing arms

Incision upper links

Waiting for the vanquish rear axle too

Loads of alu wrap and stickers to make it look more scale , I didn't really like the factory look , looked like something you find in toys r us , not anymore tho

On the servo horn issue I have noticed a slight scratch mark on the surface underneath where the horn arcs maybe nothing but I've raised it up with the same size washers used to clamp it down not much but just enough to clear the chassis.

Has anybody got it on two wheels, my niece found this out going full throttle round in a circle in a big field , ( only place I could hand it over with confidence she wouldn't smash it into something ) but it was happily going round in a big circle at full speed on 2 wheels I was like that is amazing !!! AVC 👍👍👍👍
Have to remember not to hand it over when the mamba is in it lol

Regards will
Attached Thumbnails Losi Rock Rey Thread-img_0108.jpg  
MoltoMiller likes this.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

Our video review of the Rock Rey! Velocity RC Magazine
Check out our newest review of the Losi Team Losi Racing Rock Rey!
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Kathy08
It broke relatively easily compared to what I would have imagined. I landed pretty hard on the bottom of the left wheel and it cracked. If we are able to get enough backers, only the best quality parts will be produced. Fitment will definitely not be an issue. We work in the aerospace industry and take great pride in the quality of our work!
Yes please I'll have one too 👍

Regards will
Old 04-25-2017, 02:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Kathy08
Any suggestions on shock caps? Preferably aluminum.
As a quick fix to get you back on the road drill a hole through beneath the ring and using a fine toothed saw carefully create a shallow channel from drilled hole up and over the ring for wire to be threaded through hole then into the cut channel then just twist to secure the break also super glue on the break ,

Hope it helps

Or just just buy some ali pro lines

Regards will
Old 04-25-2017, 06:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DerekB
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
The slow-motion video is cool. The slow-motion truck sounds while the narrator is talking is not cool. Electric RCs sound like crap in slow-motion anyway, and having that sound muddying-up the narration is irritating as hell.

The content of the review is good though, it looks like a good truck.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DerekB
+ YouTube Video
"Trying to be the KING of bashers." I see what you did there. [slow clap]

And changing out the EC3 to a Deans or anything else, is pretty easy if you're handy with a soldering iron.

Agree with the comment on audio mixing and also enjoyed the video overall. Keep at it!

Last edited by MoltoMiller; 04-28-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Default roll cage

anyone ever take the roll cage off? trying to replace the servo and seems it would be easier with the roll cage off to get to bolts holding it in, seing the easiest way to take the roll cage off.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

It's not that hard to get the servo out or change the horn once you remove the body panels (not removing the cage).
Old 04-30-2017, 07:00 PM
Tech Rookie

i'm hoping this will fix my problem, I was in a dry creek bed and a creek wall made my wheels do the same thing as yours but sometimes they would recenter and other times it would be vise versa so the tires would be stuck in the other direction so hopefully a metal horn will do the trick.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:04 PM
Tech Rookie

should I remove the plastic people inserts? just cant keep the srew lined up long enough to get a driver in there to tighten it up.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have seen this rig and it looks like a ton of fun to drive. Silly question, is this the truck with a built in battery connector? If so can it be changed to an XT60? The truck I saw looked like it had a blue EC3.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.