Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi Rock Rey Thread >

Losi Rock Rey Thread

Like Tree19Likes

Losi Rock Rey Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 06:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I preordered mine also, that hobbyzone place gives 10% off anything so i went for it. Sold my Gmade Komodo to compensate . i have a mamba monster x ready to install to.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Got my Rock Rey today.

Running on 2S rather than 3S as from the Losi Baja vids, 3S was demented so trying to use that power with rocks involved seemed a bit questionable.

First impressions...

Servo horn was stripped from the factory...not real happy about this.

I needed to disassemble a lot of the car to pull the servo.

Got it going with a 5000 2S pack which only just (and I mean just) fit in the compartment (I have to squeeze the door closed and removed the plastic divider).

I've a SCX10 crawler and a RR10 crawler come very slow rock racer.

This thing just blows them into the weeds in regards to performance which is to be expected. I've put the SCX10 on a mild 3S brushless system and the performance is laughably different (the SCX10 is no slouch).

The Rock Rey climbs poorly but...it has big tires and so much grunt that you can basically get up the same hills with brute force and a little momentum.

Quality is better than the Axial stuff but also worse.

For example the roll cage is whimpy compared to the Bomber. That thing is great.

The hardware and metal fittings are very nice touches on the Rock Rey.

It's FAR more difficult to get to things with the RRey. Hopefully I will have less 'need' to access gearbox etc as the spur is metal and with any luck the diffs etc are far more robust.

I'm going to treat mine nicely so with any luck it lasts a while.

The RRey jumps POORLY. Even a tiny jump (1/3' high) resulted in a endo. It lands nose down every time and even off that small jump attempts to do a handstand. That is with the 5000 pack that barely fits. I have no plans to jump it. I want it for the rock racing stuff that Axial and others showcased with the Yeti. Climbing dry river banks and zooming around dirt and rocks.

Zoom up a steep dirt/rock hill and wow, the thing just leaps upwards and jumps up like a champ. This is its wheel house IMO and here it excels. Makes the Axials work hard to even keep up and often just blasts up where they cannot go.

So far I'm seriously impressed.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was concerned the Rock Rey would jump poorly. Find a way to add weight to the rear frame, whether it's a spare tire or lead weights or both. Adding extra vents to the rear tires may help also, by making it easier for the rear tires to squish on impact and thus soften the "suspension" on the rear axle.

As long as you have the truck apart, grease every single gear in the drivetrain. The Baja Rey had silicone oil on the diff gears and nothing on the center gearbox gears, and that just wasn't good enough.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

How hard was it to get apart to access the servo? Is it worth going 3s or is 2s insane enough?
Old 02-23-2017, 01:59 PM
Tech Champion

Read the second line of his post.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

I definitely don't want my personal car to jump well. I want weight in the front end for blasting up rock faces and mounds of dirt keeping the front wheels down. Like a crazy U4, King of the Hammer hill climb beast. The SCX10 loves flipping over backwards and I was rather impressed how the BJR just 'jumps' upwards like a mountain goat with all the power and big wheels. Not being able to jump as well means there is less chance I try to bash it too.

2S is seriously powerful for the chassis on dirt. 3S would be naturally faster but I most importantly wanted reliable long term performance. Guys in the LHS felt that 3S was just asking for trouble; I basically agreed. IMPO it doesn't need any more power for its intended role as a rock racer (rather than a SCT or racer/basher) as it has loads of low down and top end grunt already. 3S would be silly fast so if you're racing or don't care that much about blowing stuff up 3S would definitely be the go.

From that YT vid, the BJR could easily do 45 mph on 3S going totally sideways out of control. It probably would do 50. 28-30mpg over rocks reliably on 2S for the RRey seems plenty fast for me personally.

I believe this on 2S is easily as fast (or faster) than a Yeti on 3S. I personally can't see a Yeti lasting long on 3S without some major billet upgrades which would quickly cost as much as the truck itself.

I wanted to be able to drive the car and test out how hot things were getting. I basically pulled all panels so I could get access to the insides so I can reach in and quickly feel servo and motor and ESC temps. It's got fairly dirty quickly and looks like a machine out of Mad Max but that's ok.

I'll be seriously happy if this lasts and I don't need to do a Yeti on it and spend a fortune in 'upgrades' to simply make it reliable. I already had 4000 3S lipos which I could have used and elected to go 2S on purpose. 45+ mph is far too fast when you're near rocks (JMPO - I could see it being destroyed pretty easily as it can easily get totally out of control at high speed on slippery surfaces).

Love the light bar. I really does well at night. Thought it was a bit of a gimmic. I liked it so much I'm getting one for the SCX10.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:03 PM
Tech Champion

The motor shouldn't be an issue for a truck that weighs this much, unless it's overgeared, but that's an easy problem to solve.

Given the Rock Rey's larger tires, I would definitely get the Metal Concepts third member for the rear axle, and make sure all the gears are thoroughly greased (they probably aren't from the factory, if the Baja Rey is any indication), and it could probably use metal upper links, but other than that I don't see anything on the Rock Rey that looks more fragile than the Baja Rey, which has taken a hell of a beating without issue.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

RockRunner, the Baja Rey cage/body can be removed with 12 screws, and it looks like the Rock Rey is the same. See the Baja Rey thread here or on RCCrawler.com.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:43 PM
Tech Adept

Looks like an awesome rig
Old 02-25-2017, 04:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Really enjoying it so far. I badly need a metal servo horn as I've gone through two plastic ones I had lying around thus far and it seems to eat plastic horns with ease.

Motor/ESC etc seem to run cool. I tried an Align DS615 servo I had and whilst WAY faster and also having more torque than the stocker, it got really hot, really quickly so I swapped back to the Spektrum which runs cool.

I am ok with the stock servo if I can keep the horns for stripping out.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

TLR 23T aluminium horn hopefully has sorted the servo issue.

RR works great on 2S and is a fair powerhouse on 3S. Really loving it and now I own a Yeti I have been able to directly compare them both.

I'd personally (and easily) pick the RR over the Yeti thus far. Smoother, quieter, beefier, nicer, bigger, faster, cooler...the Yeti is a nice truck too though mine already has a lot of the metal upgrade gear to sort the weak points which would have cost $250-300 extra.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:27 AM
Tech Initiate

*Edit* So I just got done talking with one of our engineers and he is willing to fab some custom aluminum parts for my Rock Rey. For those of you who have one, any suggestions on areas that could use some upgrades that parts aren't available for?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Few details brought over from the other thread so all the info is in one place.

1st thing Id like to point out, that we have found little to no info on, is the fact the battery tray will only hold up to 138.5 mm lipos. The 155 mm traxxas 3s 5000 mah 25c we purchased for it would not fit and allow the door to close on the battery compartment.

Another thing we noticed was the fact that the light bar has no lens or cover so the led strip is exposed.

Unfortunately, our steering was pretty far out of alignment out of the box even after attempting to adjust the trim on the controller all the way to one side. I will have to dig into this more tomorrow to find out what is going on.

We did make an attempt to register the vehicle with Losi for warranty purposes and the registration page does not give the option to select the Rock Rey currently. I'm sure this will be resolved in due time and is simply the fact that the vehicle has only recently released for retail sales. I have emailed customer support and am still waiting on a response.

We will update later with more details once I have some more time with the vehicle.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Mentioned this in another thread that @Kathy08 had started, but I'm genuinely impressed with the overall design and build quality. I haven't had much time to run it yet and want to do some upgrades before I spend too much time with it.

Looks - A (great scale appearance and size, but wish it came with spare tire in the rear - love the light bar, but will be printing a lens cover for it - love the driver and co-driver, but will be painting to add more detail)

Suspension - B- (again, the scale appearance and handling are fun, but she isn't a short course truck - and for that, I'm happy - drive it properly and it's tons of fun - will need to work on the donkey kick over big whoops and jumps)

Steering - F (stock servo is way too weak for the big meat and too slow for a vehicle capable of 40mph out of the box - will be changing to a TrackStar EVO-T2 HV Servo with 18.2kg/cm of torque at 0.10sec/60 deg on 6V - will also be running an aluminum servo horn, which will probably break something in the steering system at some point, but I'm ok with that - centers horribly and steers on its own in reverse)

ESC - B (probably fine for most people, but I'm looking to crawl and squirt like a real rock racer - i love watching the live axle articulate over rocks - this system has good power, but cogs pretty badly when trying to crawl - will be upgrading to a sensored system)

Chassis - B- (yes, things are difficult to get to, but this is a complete, functional roll-cage - i love the looks, but it could be beefier - feels cheap when you lift the car by the roof and feel the flimsy cross bar flex under the car's weight - may print a reinforcement for this or replicate the upper cage)

Overall I love this vehicle, but would have preferred a kit (which I'm sure is in the works, but I'm too impatient to wait for it). May have to pick up a Baja Rey for my son. Hopefully they will release a scale monster truck based on this platform in the future to take advantage of the live rear axle and exposed cage.

Has anyone looked at installing a winch in the front yet?

Last edited by MoltoMiller; 03-13-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Found out the hard way as well

Originally Posted by RockRunner
Got my Rock Rey today.

Running on 2S rather than 3S as from the Losi Baja vids, 3S was demented so trying to use that power with rocks involved seemed a bit questionable.

First impressions...

Servo horn was stripped from the factory...not real happy about this.

I needed to disassemble a lot of the car to pull the servo.

Got it going with a 5000 2S pack which only just (and I mean just) fit in the compartment (I have to squeeze the door closed and removed the plastic divider).

I've a SCX10 crawler and a RR10 crawler come very slow rock racer.

This thing just blows them into the weeds in regards to performance which is to be expected. I've put the SCX10 on a mild 3S brushless system and the performance is laughably different (the SCX10 is no slouch).

The Rock Rey climbs poorly but...it has big tires and so much grunt that you can basically get up the same hills with brute force and a little momentum.

Quality is better than the Axial stuff but also worse.

For example the roll cage is whimpy compared to the Bomber. That thing is great.

The hardware and metal fittings are very nice touches on the Rock Rey.

It's FAR more difficult to get to things with the RRey. Hopefully I will have less 'need' to access gearbox etc as the spur is metal and with any luck the diffs etc are far more robust.

I'm going to treat mine nicely so with any luck it lasts a while.

The RRey jumps POORLY. Even a tiny jump (1/3' high) resulted in a endo. It lands nose down every time and even off that small jump attempts to do a handstand. That is with the 5000 pack that barely fits. I have no plans to jump it. I want it for the rock racing stuff that Axial and others showcased with the Yeti. Climbing dry river banks and zooming around dirt and rocks.

Zoom up a steep dirt/rock hill and wow, the thing just leaps upwards and jumps up like a champ. This is its wheel house IMO and here it excels. Makes the Axials work hard to even keep up and often just blasts up where they cannot go.

So far I'm seriously impressed.
I had the same issue! Servo horn stripped and I had to take apart the whole car to figure out what was wrong. Just so you know for the future, if you just unscrew and remove the front right mud guard attached to the chassis and rollcage, you can remove the servo with only a few screws. It was tedious attaching the new servo horn this way (I upgraded to the Losi alaiminum 23 tooth, works wonders) and only romoved a total of 6 screws. Worth a try next time!
Also about the nose dives, I found by messing with throttle release and use when leaving the jump lips, I land smoothly everytime now! hope this helps.

Last edited by jprice5; 03-09-2017 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 03-10-2017, 12:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Exchanged my yellow Rock Rey for a blue one today due to some steering issues, and have the same problems. I do have to say the build quality of this new one is better than that of my first one for some reason. Maybe I had received one from the first run and the fit and finish wasn't quite there. Regardless of what appears to be improved fit and finish, steering issues persist. The servo is likely the cause but I am not certain as I am relatively new to the hobby. The steering appears to have a centering issue when returning from the right. It seems to center fine from the left. Any input would be great, but I will be upgrading to a sensored brushless system soon and will be upgrading the servo as well.

On a side note, I'm still looking for suggestions on areas that could use an upgrade in durability. One of our engineers is willing to fab some custom aluminum parts and I would like some input from others where we should start. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Losi Rock Rey Thread-resized_20170309_230442.jpg  

Last edited by Kathy08; 03-10-2017 at 12:23 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.