R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-11-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Trinity P2K Motor question...

Why does this motor have a higher RPM and more torque than a Orion 13t Mod? I thought with lower turns you got more speed...

Would the P2K be a better fit in a Stampede with MAXX wheels/tires than a 19t or a 15t or even the 13t? If so, what gearing should be used? I have 14T and 18T pinions and 87t and 81t Spurs available.

Thanks
Shane
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

[QUOTE=Thumper]Why does this motor have a higher RPM and more torque than a Orion 13t Mod? I thought with lower turns you got more speed...

Would the P2K be a better fit in a Stampede with MAXX wheels/tires than a 19t or a 15t or even the 13t? If so, what gearing should be used? I have 14T and 18T pinions and 87t and 81t Spurs available.

Thumper-It's NOT suppose to have more RPM and TORQUE than ANY mod motor for that matter.
What is making you say this?How it ran in the truck or do you have a dyno or something?If you ran it in the truck what spur and pinion did you use on the mod?

The Stampede will work better with a 13-15 turn motor geared about 6 over the wind.
This means the 13 would need a 18-19 tooth pinion and the 15 would need a 21.
I would run the 87 tooth spur.
What 13 turn did you use to compare to the 27 turn P2k Motor?
What esc are you using and will it even handle 13 turns?

Hopefully I or someone else can help.
Les
Old 01-11-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

TexRacer - thanks for the reply - here is what I saw (I know it sounds crazy)
The motor has a dyno sheet on it and I compared it to another Orion 13T Mod with a Dyno sheet on it. I am at work and do not have exact number with me but the P2K was showing a higher RPM and a more torque...

Is the P2K good for anything? I have buggies/stadiums/monster trucks.
I dont have an ESC yet for this particular project. If I used the P2K in the Pede I was going to use my Novak Rooster (it handles 15+ turns), If I use the 13t I am going to need another ESC (which I do not have yet).

Thanks for the info on the winds/gear selector advice, that makes it alot easier when trying to figure out gearing!

Shane
Old 01-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to dgullickson Send a message via Yahoo to dgullickson

What Dyno's were used and what were the amp loads?

P2K is an awesome motor for offroad Truck racing.
dgullickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Dyno sheets usually have numbers at different voltage inputs. Make sure you are comparing the numbers at the same voltage levels. Even with that different dyno's will give different information and depending on the types of dyno's used (fly wheel type/fantom or slave motor load type) you will get significantly different numbers. Assuming both motors are properly maintained any 13T motor should smoke a stock motor. As for the motor you choose for your project it will depend on what you are trying accomplish. The P2K will have good torque and great runtime but a 13T should have more torque and much better top end but you will greatly sacrifice runtime and you will need a speedo that can handle such a motor. It is up to you to determine what is more important.

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Thanks everyone for their help.
Both motors were received in a trade. Both already had dyno stickers on them so I am not sure how the figures were calculated.

The Stampede project is just a factory Pede with FLM extended alum front a-arms, 5x11 carriers, GPM Alum threaded shocks, MAXXimizer wheel adaptors, TMAXX offset wheels/tires.

I dont need it to be super fast, but good speed and lots of torque for the bigger wheels. I am leaning towards a Novak GTB 5.5 brushless (someday).

Until then, I was hoping either a 15T or the P2K would do the trick. I guess it's up to gearing mostly.

Thank you again for your help, hope this makes a little more sense