Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Bump ups for club racing yes or no? >

Bump ups for club racing yes or no?

Bump ups for club racing yes or no?

Old 12-22-2016, 08:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Bump ups for club racing yes or no?

After 10+ years the local club last night decided to change it up and end bump ups for club races. This is on a small indoor off road carpet track that only runs 8 car mains. What do other local clubs do across the nation? I know some of the racers that are boarder line for making the A main are kinda upset about this saying whats the point of showing up or whats the point of running the B main now if you don't have the chance to bump? Lets hear some opinions!

Last edited by Tim W.; 12-22-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

We run 4 Car heat races, 6 min mains, A and B mains has 8 cars in them.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmag5000 View Post
We run 4 Car heat races, 6 min mains, A and B mains has 8 cars in them.
with bumps to the A ?
Old 12-22-2016, 08:49 AM
Tech Regular

Yes
Old 12-22-2016, 08:51 AM
Tech Adept

Does your local track pay out for 1st, 2nd or 3rd?

My place does bump ups, and since they do, they only pay out the top 3 of the A main. If your place won't bump up anymore and they paid out, will they start to pay out for the winners of at least the B main, at least 1st and 2nd?

If they don't pay out at all, then it doesn't matter. You are now back to racing people in your skill set on the track and battling for bragging rights.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Azzkikin View Post
Does your local track pay out for 1st, 2nd or 3rd?

My place does bump ups, and since they do, they only pay out the top 3 of the A main. If your place won't bump up anymore and they paid out, will they start to pay out for the winners of at least the B main, at least 1st and 2nd?

If they don't pay out at all, then it doesn't matter. You are now back to racing people in your skill set on the track and battling for bragging rights.
Pay outs for rc? That's awesome! Wish we had that!
Old 12-22-2016, 08:57 AM
Tech Adept

Ya, we get Race Bucks, so it's really store credit to the hobby shop.

So if you don't have pay outs, whats all the fuss? If you are not in the A main, you keep honing your skills until you out qualify the slowest of the A main.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

To me it makes racing more exciting and more like real dirt track racing having bumps. I'm a top 3 guy every club race so it doesn't affect me unless I have a really bad night LOL but i'm looking out for the other guys here!
Old 12-22-2016, 09:06 AM
Tech Adept

Well, with bump ups, you could end up adding heats for the mains. Making the schedule run long. Maybe there is a method to not doing bump ups, outside of being lazy.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well, with bump ups, you could end up adding heats for the mains. Making the schedule run long. Maybe there is a method to not doing bump ups, outside of being lazy.
We do 2 heats and a main usually.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:13 AM
Tech Adept

I meant extra heats in the mains. So if you have 30 cars sign up and you are doing bump ups, you need to have the A, B and C mains with 8 cars, allowing 2 cars per main to bump up. So you end up with a D main of 6 cars. Adding another 6+ mins to the night. Do that enough times and you could extend the night by an hour. Maybe "heat" isn't the right word. "race" works better. Clear as mud? lol
Old 12-22-2016, 09:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

I meant extra heats in the mains. So if you have 30 cars sign up and you are doing bump ups, you need to have the A, B and C mains with 8 cars, allowing 2 cars per main to bump up. So you end up with a D main of 6 cars. Adding another 6+ mins to the night. Do that enough times and you could extend the night by an hour. Maybe "heat" isn't the right word. "race" works better. Clear as mud? lol
Yeah it is haha! But we don't ever get that many cars!
Old 12-22-2016, 09:28 AM
Tech Regular

It's racing and with no bump ups it is pointless to ever run lower mains. Might as well pack up and head home. Personally we try and avoid races without any bump ups also avoid races that only run five minute mains. There is no reason to run short mains the same length as the qualifiers at this point in time.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dynamiteracer View Post
It's racing and with no bump ups it is pointless to ever run lower mains. Might as well pack up and head home. Personally we try and avoid races without any bump ups also avoid races that only run five minute mains. There is no reason to run short mains the same length as the qualifiers at this point in time.
+1 thank you! my exact point!
Old 12-22-2016, 09:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Welcome to your first experience of someone ignoring the no child left behind mentality. Many people have trouble accepting that they either have bad days or they are really are not what they think. You did mention club racing. What happens on the day of the big race and you are normally at the bottom of the A main on club day and then some better talent shows up and you are in the D main? What if instead of a number of cars had to fill the A main, there was minimum number of laps and times that meant you made the A main? The reason I point this out is because if the top 3 or 4 guys are 2 laps up on the field, then probably the other half of the guys in the main were really B main anyway. Go out and run and focus on your program instead of spending time finding fault with the guy that makes the rules at his track. Every place has there own rules and you can either race and not like them, find somewhere that has rules that you like, or not race. Pleasing 60% of the racers is a great accomplishment for organizers and track owners.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service