Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree311Likes

Tekno RC EB48.4 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-11-2018, 05:44 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tekno RC EB48.4 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: billdelong
Welcome to the EB4.4 Wiki page.
If you edit the page, please add your name and date prior to your addition. While an admin can view the history, this makes it easier for everyone to just check updates. We'll put the newest additions at the top.

Bob B 8/10/17 - Should I start with the kit setup?
The kit setup is a great place to start. One other option that many of us start with is Joe's rough track setup. You can find that setup here
In order to run it you need 3x2.1 pistons and 3x2.0 pistons. (They are marked on the sheet as 3.1 and 3.0).

Matt W 7/7/17 - What is overdrive and when should I use it?
The NB48.4 comes stock with a 12t pinion (TKR8152) and the 39t ring (TKR8151) in both the front and rear and the EB48.4 has a 12t pinion (TKR8152B) and the 40t ring (TKR8151B) in both the front and rear.

The two sets of gears are used to overdrive the front of the EBs or underdrive the rear of the NBs. If you have both vehicles and want to try underdrive it's as easy as swapping the front diff and pinion of the EB and the rear diff and pinion of the NB. Underdrive helps on very loose tracks, when you need more on power steering or if the rear of the car feels loose.

Tips and Tricks
Setup Sheets:
Setup sheets for all Tekno RC vehicles can be found here. Please be sure to try our recommended setup. It works very well on most tracks.

Warranty Policy:

Tekno RC is the only company in the industry that will give 50% off of parts if returned to them using the General Warranty return policy found on their website. The parts can be lightly used or completely abused, as long as the part is still being produced it's covered!

Piston Drills:

Some of our setups recommend using pistons that are enlarged. For instance 4x1.9 or 3x2.0. To drill the pistons we recommend the following:
GMK Supply Piston Drill Set
16PC Metric Bit Set Metric Sizes 2.00 to 3.00 MM.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rasheed
this seems like a dumb question, but...

My old (but still working) orion 1900kv motor only has M4 holes on it. The Tekno motor mount uses M3 screws. Is there any solution to this problem other than buying a new motor?
The mount has two size holes for the heads..I'd assume the other 2 are M4 and not m3...My SMC motor has both.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

To be clear, I'm talking about step P-2 in the manual where you attach the oval shaped metal piece to the front of the motor. My motor has 6 holes, all of which are M4 size. The holes in that oval shaped piece are too small for an M4 screw.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Just finished mine and overall I'm pleased with it. Only things i would improve are:
shock cap orings- too large in my opinion, were a pain to get to sit flat in the cap
bleeder screw orings- pain to get on, would rather see a washer like losi uses
rear spring collars looser than fronts- measured my shock bodies and the rears are .002" bigger than the fronts
Now I can't wait to run it!
Old 04-14-2017, 07:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason B
I think what he's saying is that there is room for 1mm+, and I found that to be the case on mine, too. I doubt the play will be an issue, but definitely something I noticed.
I understand what he's saying. I just know that 6mm wouldn't fit in mine out of the box.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Just finished mine as well and I second everything Dave said. After trying the first shock cap o-ring for ten minutes, one thing that worked was to get the o-ring in the cap as well as possible then carefully screw the cap on the body. It will press the o-ring flat into the cap....hopefully this helps someone.

Originally Posted by nitrousdave
Just finished mine and overall I'm pleased with it. Only things i would improve are:
shock cap orings- too large in my opinion, were a pain to get to sit flat in the cap
rear spring collars looser than fronts- measured my shock bodies and the rears are .002" bigger than the fronts
Old 04-14-2017, 08:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm about ready to start the steering build but so far I must say this thing is built like a tank compared to the Losi 8ights I have built. All the pieces feel heavy and overbuilt. The plastics are nice and thick feeling. The bolts are heavy with a nice feel. It's hard to explain going from all TLR stuff to this. It just feels like a real race car built to last as opposed to the TLR which, while nice and never really gave me any trouble, just seems like it cuts corners where the Tekno puts an emphasis on durability.

I will say the TLR manual is nicer. The images are better and more detailed than the Tekno. And I don't have to clip any parts off the mold like a Testers model kit. This seems a tad cheesy to me but maybe it's the way everyone does it except TLR? I would also have liked to have my fluid containers filled. There was barely enough 10K diff fluid. If I had made a mistake I would have had to buy more. Just fill the bottles please TLR gives my complete bottles of shock and diff fluids...plenty to do multiple applications.

Can't wait to continue the build next week. Truly a joy seeing all the stout hardware.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Okay...silly question...but i'm looking at the Joe Bornhorst setup sheet, and for the shock pistons it says rear 3.0 and front 3.1 ....what exactly does this mean?

i
Old 04-15-2017, 04:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE=mike142;14900011]Okay...silly question...but i'm looking at the Joe Bornhorst setup sheet, and for the shock pistons it says rear 3.0 and front 3.1 ....what exactly does this mean?

Means 3-hole, 2.0mm and 3-hole, 2.1mm.
mike142 likes this.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:57 AM
Tech Initiate

[QUOTE=Tampagoalie;14900124]
Originally Posted by mike142
Okay...silly question...but i'm looking at the Joe Bornhorst setup sheet, and for the shock pistons it says rear 3.0 and front 3.1 ....what exactly does this mean?

Means 3-hole, 2.0mm and 3-hole, 2.1mm.
TY!
Old 04-15-2017, 02:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'm officially done with my build, minus soldering things up and getting my hands on an aluminum servo horn because I'm an idiot and didn't order it with my kit.

Some random thoughts:

- Fit/finish was excellent. Very, very minor play in hubs as mentioned previously, but simply shimmed it away. Also an issue with loose shock collars in the rear as others have mentioned, but not sure if it will prove to be an issue on the track.
- No missing parts
- No issues with the motor mount
- While this is my first 1/8th scale, I feel like I just built a tank.
- I'm really digging the thought Tekno put into wire organization. I'm pretty OCD when it comes to my electronics installations and wire management, so I really appreciated the sensibility that went into this.
- From a build/technical standpoint, I'm thrilled with my purchase. I haven't driven my own yet, but I did get to drive someone else's the other day and it was a joy.

Just a quick fun fact: I always try to build turnbuckles using the manual's 1:1 pictures and using calipers to match the manual's measurements. With every other kit I've ever built, results have ranged from "pretty close" to "wtflol". The EB48.4 is the first time I haven't had to adjust anything steering-wise or camber-wise after the fact. Everything was dead-on perfect.
Attached Thumbnails Tekno RC EB48.4 Thread-unnamed-1-.jpg   Tekno RC EB48.4 Thread-unnamed-2-.jpg   Tekno RC EB48.4 Thread-unnamed-3-.jpg   Tekno RC EB48.4 Thread-unnamed.jpg  
portyansky likes this.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrousdave

Exact same things I noticed. I used the shock cap to "set" the orings because I couldn't get them to sit flat by hand.

Would be nice to have a grub screw in the shock collars also. One that tightens against the o-ring to lock them in place.

More shims for the outer hinge pins would be nice.

A tekno aluminum servo horn would make the kit complete. You could make one with inserts for the different spline counts.

As a guy that waited months to buy the original eb48, I'll say bravo. You guys really did an awesome job as usual.

With the $50 I saved vs a losi kit I bought some extra fluids and whatnot.
Jason B likes this.

Last edited by streetsports; 04-16-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quick question is everyone using the shims in the diff between the oring and the sun gear?
Old 04-16-2017, 04:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pballer2777
Quick question is everyone using the shims in the diff between the oring and the sun gear?
I didn't need any
Old 04-16-2017, 04:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by pballer2777
Yes, I used the washers inside the diff that cover the oring.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I did not need any optional shims nor did mine need any optional reaming of holes to allow free movement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.