Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 scale start

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 05:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 1/8 scale start

I have been bashing for a while and want to get into the racing scene. My one of my local tracks runs 1/8 scale. I have a budget of around 600 dollars. What are some good recommendations for my kit and electronics. I need to stay at or below 600 dollars. I have Done some research on 1:8 kits and was thinking a mugen mbx7r eco for my first buggy. Is this a wise choice.

Ps I already have a charger and tools/ support equipment.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Yes
Old 12-08-2016, 06:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jigsaw49
I have been bashing for a while and want to get into the racing scene. My one of my local tracks runs 1/8 scale. I have a budget of around 600 dollars. What are some good recommendations for my kit and electronics. I need to stay at or below 600 dollars. I have Done some research on 1:8 kits and was thinking a mugen mbx7r eco for my first buggy. Is this a wise choice.

Ps I already have a charger and tools/ support equipment.
You can never go wrong with a Mugen. The best start may even be a well loved used roller from here. Unless you are wanting new Motor and ESC 600$ will only cover the kit, and you still need decent servos, tires, receiver pack etc. New is always awesome and nothing wrong with that, so if you budget is only chassis then your ok! Also although not every hobby shop carries Mugen, don't forget online there is a lot of parts support, and its not like the MBX7 platform requires a ton of spare parts.

I may seem biased because I currently run a Mugen, yet I run it because its the best fit for me, and they offer great quality, support and they are a company focused on racing. I previously ran Kyosho since '99 until '14.

Also consider who at the track is also running a Mugen, this way you have a bit of support at the track related to your platform, RCtech is full of info, but only the guys at your track know what setup / tires etc. works there.

Either way best of luck, and enjoy racing.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:36 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

at that budget, used is your friend. There are some really good deals right now for vehicles. Some options to look for are vehicles that have a following at your track but say have a new (but close) model known to be on the way (Tekno EB48.3) comes to mind. You can get some used vehicles for like $200 or less. In general, don't start off with something exotic, see what others are running and go from there.

For electronics, been hearing good things about the HW XR8 SCT Pro ESC on 1/8 4wd buggy so would be worth a look new. I personally look to by 1/8 escs new myself.

As for motor, SMCs work quite well for the money. Amain has some 1/8 motors cheap too I think from Ruddog but I don't knowanything about them personally.

For servo, I would say look for something that is at least .13 transit or faster and 250oz of torque or more.

For radio, I personally like Futaba gear and you the 4PLs give you all the features you could want.

Lastly, battery, stay at 5000mah and above for runtime. SMC can be your friend.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:42 AM
Tech Initiate

I used to run spc packs

I will problby be going for a smc 4s.
There is a hb d815e for 400... is this a good buggy.

There is also a mbx7r eco for 550 with a rx8 2 and tekin motor and a savox servo.
I am leaning toward this buggy.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
....you still need decent servos, tires, receiver pack ....
Only one servo is needed and no receiver pack for an Eco.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:50 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ttr_racer
Only one servo is needed and no receiver pack for an Eco.
You don't consider the spare servo...? But yes, no receiver pack, lol
Old 12-09-2016, 07:39 AM
Tech Legend

I used to run spc packs

I will problby be going for a smc 4s.
There is a hb d815e for 400... is this a good buggy.

There is also a mbx7r eco for 550 with a rx8 2 and tekin motor and a savox servo.
I am leaning toward this buggy.
I think you will have better parts support with the mbx7r buggy and it is a good buggy.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Mugen, I got one for 275 on here that was in great shape and had almost every spare plastic part. I'm new to r/c and racing so I'm rough on vehicles and still have not broke anything on the mbx7r eco. There diffs are nice and easy to shim properly. You won't regret a mugen and it seems like every track has a few running there. Tekno's are nice as well but the mugen can be slightly easier to drive. I feel that the mugen is a smoother/calmer buggy, but that may just be the setups on the tekno's I've driven.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:12 AM
Tech Initiate

here is the kit I am looking at.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/tag/5863200782.html

Should I buy it as a artr or roller.

If I should get it as a roller what electronics should I put in it? Everything except the esc (castle mamaba X)
Old 12-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Anyone?
Old 12-10-2016, 06:27 AM
Tech Champion

Anyone?
If you can check it out in person, make sure the can is not discolored, no funny electronic smells etc. check the out drives, see how worn they are, thats a good indicator of how well maintained the buggy was, Bearing play in the hubs, and check the shocks for play at the bottom endcaps where the rod comes through. Just a few areas to look at, as well as to see if there is any oil arorund the diff cases, and the center diff, which would indicate a leaking diff.

As badly as you may want it, also have him at least hook it all up, and have him show you that the esc, motor and servo are all working.

Be mindful, parts are not that expensive, but you dont want to end up replacing all parts or components. If is solid, then most likely you will just need a few Hingepin retainers, possibly a full set of arms, shock rebuild kit, and some diff oil to service the diffs.

And yes, if you purchase it, most likely before you run, you might want to take it all apart to furher inspect the diffs, condition of pinion and ring gears.

Best of luck, hope this helps.

- As a note, the pictures seem to be from two separate times, as on one the wing retainer includes an actual retainer and a shock piston, and on the other it seems he is using shock pictons with concave washers.
Attached Thumbnails 1/8 scale start-00h0h_erf3du85qtl_1200x900.jpg   1/8 scale start-00q0q_c4rdgfnajjv_1200x900.jpg  
Old 12-10-2016, 06:41 AM
Tech Legend

one other thing the motor from what I am understanding is not the full on buggy motor, but the more "indoor" lighter motor. you may want to review the differences to make sure for what you want to use it for you don't run into any heat issues.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:55 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Cain
one other thing the motor from what I am understanding is not the full on buggy motor, but the more "indoor" lighter motor. you may want to review the differences to make sure for what you want to use it for you don't run into any heat issues.
Man, good call, and valid point! Also check out SMC's 4-pole 1/8 motors

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/tag/5863200782.html
Old 12-10-2016, 09:15 AM
Tech Initiate

I will take all of this into account.

Will it be Better to buy as a roller or artr ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.