Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Associated RC10B64 Thread >

Team Associated RC10B64 Thread

Like Tree680Likes

Team Associated RC10B64 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-01-2017, 03:20 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10B64 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Welcome to the B64 Wiki!

Quick links to all the sections on the first page!

Petit RC Page

B64D Manual

Aftermarket Upgrades

Welcome to the B64 Wiki!

Quick links to all the sections on the first page!

Petit RC Page

B64D Manual

Aftermarket Upgrades

Aftermarket parts

Helpful Tips and Videos

How to properly Shim the B64 Diffs

B64 Club Racer video

Helpful Tips and Videos

How to properly Shim the B64 Diffs

B64 Club Racer video

Print Wikipost

Old 05-25-2019, 08:50 PM
Tech Regular

Check to see if you misplaced some diff shims in the process of changing those parts, they can be a big source of drivetrain whine. 1 o-ring in the front outdrive and 2 in the rear outdrive of the center diff will reduce noise from the dogbone shaking back and forth, and reduce the possibility of the dogbone popping off the snap ring on the pinion outdrives in the bulkhead.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Itís not the diff shims. I took out the center dog bones and just ran the pinion and slipper. Itís something here. Gears are in great condition. Gear mesh is fine. Itís just loud. It smooths out when I apply more throttle. Yet at beginning of trigger pull it sounds crunchy. I checked the bearings and they are good.

Im beginning to think itís just the sound of this Buggy.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

NoEffects6, The only thing I have to offer is to put a little black grease on the pins of the center dog bones.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the ideas and help so far. I might post a short video of it. Might help people diagnose what might be the issue. I took the bones out so you can see itís not the drivetrain.

Last edited by NoEffects6; 05-27-2019 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Added vid
Old 05-27-2019, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

Take the pinion off and see how the motor sounds. Also, does the center slipper assembly spin freely? Is that a B6.1 spur gear by chance because I had one and that was noisy.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:34 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

seems normal to me. if you want the spur to be quieter. soak the spur in water over night. most of the noise I could hear was the motors low speed sounds.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
seems normal to me. if you want the spur to be quieter. soak the spur in water over night. most of the noise I could hear was the motors low speed sounds.
Yup I came to the same conclusion. Motors low speed is loud. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
Take the pinion off and see how the motor sounds. Also, does the center slipper assembly spin freely? Is that a B6.1 spur gear by chance because I had one and that was noisy.
Center slipper spins silky smooth. Its a standard AE spur. I tried two different spurs and even swapped the gear diff in place of the slipper and it sounds the same. Itís the motor. Brand new motor also. My Reedy 17.5 in my B6 doesnít have this sound. Rotor might have some slop Iíll check the shims.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So I believe I need to rebuild my diffs but not sure. So when I spin by hand it grinds in forward and back but if I spin wheel by it self then it smooth makes no noise.
it sounds like it's coming from the center differential. I had had losi's prior so not sure how difficult it is if not very at all
Old 06-03-2019, 10:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Did AE update the mold on the steering blocks? I cracked one of mine so decided to replace both, the track was out and I ordered some online.

The old ones I had to trim a bit or they would clamp down on the caster block and bind. The new ones I was able to tighten as expected and they fit perfectly and move freely with no slop. Much nicer fit like the ones on my b6.1d
Old 06-03-2019, 01:51 PM
Tech Regular

Plastic piece I can't say but the axle height bushings on the front changed during some point. Went from a darker blue anodizing to a lighter shade of blue and from what I can tell the newer lighter blue bushings are somewhat taller so when you tighten down the screws fully there is more space vertically for the plastic piece before stuff starts binding up.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:23 PM
Tech Adept

That is interesting... I had mixed my height bushings that I got for my b6.1d kit with the ones that came with my used B64d.. maybe just the combo I picked fit better?

Either way I am happy. Thank you for the info, I will keep that in mind if I notice the bind on either car if/when I have to replace them again.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:10 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah occasionally you'll have to trim inner edges of the tabs on a new steering knuckle for the freest rotation, before you even install the screws. It will squeeze against the caster block. Used steering knuckles can have the tabs warp inward overtime and require some sanding too, another thing to watch for. It's not too severe of a bind so it can go unnoticed if it develops out of nowhere.

The worst is if it binds when you fully tighten the screws. Either the spacers are worn down and need to be replaced or if you can't buy a new set of spacers you can sand down your current steering knuckle to allow the slightest vertical movement again. Otherwise the $50 caster blocks will inevitably be stripped out when the screw backs out. Even using threadlock I've ruined a caster block this way unfortunately.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

Is there something people are using instead of the stock upper shock bushing ball? They wear out quick or at least it seems that way. I like the design they went with on the 6.1 and the 74 that eliminates the plastic wear part.

Is there something I can use without buying a full standoff kit, like do any of the more durable bushings fit on the stock setup?

Edit - I think I have an idea... I could buy the b6.1 style 10mm bushings and put them on the front and rear and use the washers/spacers I have to keep the spacing correct for the camber link and the shock angle correct.

Last edited by socalcloin; 06-12-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:41 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Originally Posted by socalcloin View Post
Is there something people are using instead of the stock upper shock bushing ball? They wear out quick or at least it seems that way. I like the design they went with on the 6.1 and the 74 that eliminates the plastic wear part.

Is there something I can use without buying a full standoff kit, like do any of the more durable bushings fit on the stock setup?

Edit - I think I have an idea... I could buy the b6.1 style 10mm bushings and put them on the front and rear and use the washers/spacers I have to keep the spacing correct for the camber link and the shock angle correct.
I use the b6.1 stand offs. Now just the caps wear out. lol
socalcloin likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service