Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for a new racer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Advice for a new racer?

I have been playing with and modiflng rc cars and trucks 1/18 and smaller for a few years and I have been getting interested in racing. I would like race offroad stadium trucks. What class is best for beginners and what would be a good beginners truck. I have been wanting to do nitro mostly because I have always done electric and would like to try something with some more zing. If it is strongly reccomended to race electric first I could live with that. I would also like to have a 4wd truck but I havent found much for nitro 4wd. I have also noticed in the ROAR rulebook that you can only use .12 size engines. None come with a .12 in a kit that I have seen. Do most people just buy a .12 engine? Do most tracks use ROAR rules making this size of engine a must?

Thanks for putting up with my questions.

Dero
Old 01-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Tech Adept

i would definately suggest stock truck, IMO. Theyre more stable and it will make you a better driver in the long run i think.As far as trucks go,Associated T4 or Losi MF2.Wichever is the most popular at your track is probably your best bet.There is some 4Wd trucks in 1/10 scale but nothing worth wasting your money on as far as i know.Most racers dont buy rtrs wich usually come with a .15, most buy a kit and add there own engine and radio gear to it.But your local track will Most Likely allow you run the .15 but check first.

Hope this help bro,
Jerry
Old 01-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

A great truck to start racing with is a Team Losi XXX-NT Sport II (that's a mouth full). It is competitive and durable, it comes with a great radio and a strong .15 engine. The ROAR rules call for a .12 but most clubs will allow .15's as the guy's who have good .12's can go faster anyway. In nitro stadium trucks, it is very easy to have too much horsepower.

Keep in mind that tuning and running a nitro engine is a skill in itself. If you are looking for the best possible way to get into racing I would recomend a electric truck like a Losi XXX-T RTR or the Associated T4 RTR. Both of these trucks are the latest designs so people at the track will be able to help you set them up right for the track that you'll be running on. The Losi truck comes with a better radio and is a better value in my opinion.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Everyone loves the xxx nt, but I believe the nitro rustler and the rc10gt go underrated a lot of the time...

They are both dependable and come it rtr kits, or you can snipe one off of ebay for around 135...
Old 01-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Tech Rookie

I have seen the losi trucks and have heard good things. The choice between nitro and electic will probably be decided by the price (I still would really like a nitro). When you say running a nitro engine is a skill in itself what do you mean by that? Just controlling your speed and finding the right fuel/air ratio or is there something else im missing?

Thanks for your help

EDIT:

Also. Ina stock class what are the restrictions. If I used different shocks or replaced some plastic parts with metal is that not stock legal? What is the definition of a stock truck?
Old 01-11-2006, 07:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

When you say running a nitro engine is a skill in itself what do you mean by that? Just controlling your speed and finding the right fuel/air ratio or is there something else im missing?
Tuning an engine is a fine art...Especially if you're running an engine that doesn't like to keep a tune...It's a skill that you have to develop, and it takes time...There's nothing more to it than getting the mix right, but that is much easier said than done...

If you really want to learn to tune, buy a hyper 8 port race w/boost and stick on a buggy...You'll either learn to tune it, and do it well, or you'll have a 250 dollar paper weight...That's how I learned to tune, probably the most finicky motor I've ever messed with...

But starting out in nitro, pick your stadium truck, and stick an o.s. engine on it...I think it's the cv-r or the cv-x or something like that, it's red with a v head on it...VERY easy to tune, and holds a tune well...

Just my nickel...Let me know if I can help further...
Old 01-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Tech Adept

the read head is a CV the CV-X is with a pull start. But i would go with the CVR because it has a better piston and sleeve and wil last longer, and its only like $20 more. I have a CVR in my truck and i motored the local Nitro Guru this past Sat. Theyre a good motor for truck.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i think by stock truck they meant electric truck, running a stock motor, imost times you can hop up the actual truck anyway you want, but check where you are racing for their specific rules first, every place is different,

i personally have the original XXX-NT, i got it in a trade for a TC3, and the only thing i have done to it to is put CVD's on it, and its just as fast as any of the trucks i've run with, it handles great, even with the kit springs, i've literally only bought the CVD's for it, and spare parts i've never used, i've never broke a part on it, i've also got the OS CVr in it, and its an awsome motor, i didn't have to re-tune it all year last year, and its got a great powerband for the 2wd truck, its got decent top end, but not so balistic you jsut spin out, i tried a sirio 12 in it for a race, and took it out, i ran faster with the slightly slower OS,

oh and most places alow a 15 if its a RTR motor, they arn't going to make you go buy a new motor with your RTR truck, that would just drive people away from the hobby, but if you buy a new motor for it, it has to be the same as the kit RTR 15, or a 12, you can't put a hoped up 15 in it as a replacement,

if you arn't a patient person, i would say electirc migth b better to start racing in, since you have electric experience, but as long as you take your time, and get some help tuning the motor at first , nitro can be just as easy to get into,
Old 01-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As far as electrics go.....Losi MF2 does't need upgrades. Neither does the T4FT. They are both kits and qualify as "stock". Both are top of the line. Another good thing about electric, if you want to go faster....put a $60 mod motor in it and your fast.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hmm, I think I'll step in here and clarify a few things and get you on the right path.

For your first nitro engine, most will recommend a pull start OS .12 CV-X. The OS CV engines are incredibly easy to tune, and last a long time. There are no differences between the CV and the CV-X, other than the X having a pullstart (when you see an "X" following the OS engines designation, that means it is a pull start engine. You will need a starter box to start all other engines)

The OS CVR is a different motor, though. The crankshaft is 1mm larger, and has a larger port for better fuel delivery. Other than the head and the crankshaft, the CV and CVR are the same. They are all excellent motors.

If you are looking into getting a nitro stadium trucks, I would suggest getting the Team Losi XXXNT RTR. These trucks can be found for a decent price, anywhere. But, when you get it, I would suggest removing and selling the motor, and buying a more suitable motor such as the OS CVR, or a Team Orion Wasp. These can be found easily as well.