R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-09-2006, 10:18 AM   #16
Suspended

The diff's in my mbx-5 have never leaked,not in the old one i had or the new prospec kit.also I have ran this car very hard and not had any problems breaking arms, though I do not usually crash into things though.
ntro75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:20 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Runnin RC10,

I think if you want something not so hard on the pocket get the NEW Jammin,
If that is nothing to worry about, get the Mugen.

The new Jammin seems to be a very sweet ride. My heart was set on the Prospec but the more I look at the new Jammin Pro the more I like it.
kyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:36 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think as of right now, the new jammin kit is where I stand. I think parts wont be a big deal. I work at a hobby shop and get my parts at cost anyway. Kyosho stuff can be hard to get here as well as the xray stuff. I really like the look of the Jammin kit and the TTR. I really want something different. I'll have to read into it some more. Do any of these cars have a manual that includes guidence on adjustments and what htey will do for the car? ( I think Xrays guide has a very good one)
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to D_Ames

The Jammin car is great. The quality of Ofna kits has improved greatly.

The manual, on the other hand, sucks out loud . If your not an experienced builder, you'll have a hard time understanding their manual. It's a photocopied mess and most of the pictures are just black blobs. It's very hard to tell the orientation of some of the parts. The car went together great but I had to dissasemble it numerous times because I either got the part on backwards, or I had the wrong part all together. You get a TON of extra screws with it. At least I think they are extra The manual has only a blank setup sheet but you can download team drivers setups at the Ofna web site.

You can't go wrong with this car. Just get some help building if your not experienced.
D_Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:11 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Good deal Ryan,

I thought about trying the new Jammin again. I am still leaning more toward the Prospec.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:15 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin rc10
I am just looking for a buggy that will not be overly hard on my wallet as I am still a teen (17) but want something to run with the guys at my track. I am still rather new to 1/8 as I dont quite know what all the adjustments do to what. Im just loooking for a little guidence to a car that will handle on a consistant basis and be able to stand a crash when I goof up every now and again. Any insight you guys have on any of these cars would be great. Just state what you have exp. with what car please. Any help would be much appreciated.
mbx-5 and just use the stock setup. you will be fast with that setup. and the rest is just practice.
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:26 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I'm with Qwerty on that. There is not one piece in a Prospec kit that improves actual performance over the MBX5 standard kit. Just bling and a little bit of durability. If you run out west on rock hard surfaces than the Shock towers are a wirthy upgrade. I have not been able to damage my stockers.
A disapointing thing about the MBX5 (both of them) is that the shocks are not hard anodised. This leads to frequent oil changes as the aluminum wears off into the oil. I will be running TTR shocks on mine this year for that reason.
All the above cars are good but none of them will make you happy if you can't find parts locally. Make sure you pick one that is supported locally.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

The only prospec upgrades i would get is the one piece engine mount, and the caputured hingepins
Old 01-10-2006, 07:05 AM   #24
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

One buggy you may want to read up on is the CEN Matrix.

I have been doing some research on it and other buggies as I want to try out 1/8 scale buggy nitro this summer and so far it appears to have alot going for it for the price. I believe its also done quite well at several events, more info can be found on there site.

For the price of the RTR, under $400 with an MX-3 FM radio included and 144oz servos, its worth a look, especially if you want to try something different.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:26 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

The Xray manual is the best as far as a setup manual goes, but you can download it off their website. Pretty much any car/driver can benefit from the back of that manual.

It's too bad you cannot get Kyosho parts easily. On the other hand the suspension arms on the SP2 are pretty close to unbreakable. I have a set with 7 gallons on them that are not even cracked.
windellmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:50 AM   #26
Tech Regular

Im going to say get an XTM Xterminator.Im new to offroad and I dont know if Ill like it or not.I wasnt going to drop 2000.00 to get a high end buggy.I got this car brand new and RTR for less than 300.00.I will just throw in a new servo and radio equipment and Ill run this until I decide how deep i want to get into it.

Granted,its no Prospec or Jammin',but for the price you cant beat it.Just my .02.
fordman500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:52 PM   #27
Tech Regular

$2000.00
What kind of buggy are you looking at? I guess if you add electronics (radio, rx battery, kit, engine, wheels, starter box, glow plug, and fuel. you May need $2000. Maybe and that is a big maybe.
If you are just starting out I guess the RTR will be a good start but the radios, servos and the hand start roto tool is not very good. The best way to start out would be get used stuff. That way you save half.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:27 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyracer
$2000.00
What kind of buggy are you looking at? I guess if you add electronics (radio, rx battery, kit, engine, wheels, starter box, glow plug, and fuel. you May need $2000. Maybe and that is a big maybe.
If you are just starting out I guess the RTR will be a good start but the radios, servos and the hand start roto tool is not very good. The best way to start out would be get used stuff. That way you save half.
shoot 2 g is common l,i got a little over 2 just for my sp2. engine ,kit,hump pack,servos,reciever,starter box,battery for starter box tires,rims,custom paint job ,shock oils ,and diff oils almost 2200 to get a high end buggy set up
mgtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:24 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

2 grand is about right to be a competitor...I got 300 in my engine alone

I've driven just about every buggy mentioned above, except for the cen...Overall, for the money, the Hyper 7 PBS rtr with a starter box is about the best thing going out there...

I say that because the buggy is dang near indestructible, parts are plentiful, and just because the hyper 8 is coming out doesn't mean that the hyper 7's are going anywhere anytime soon...The h7 won't be gone for a few years, plenty of time for you to wear out your new buggy out...

Jammin-Good car, handles pretty good, easy to setup

MBX 5-Good car, great handling, lots of uprades

TTR-Good car, seems a little unstable in the air and in hard turns, handles pretty decent though

Hyper 7-Good car, handles well, easy to setup, lots of upgrades

Just my 2 cents
possom813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:20 PM   #30
Tech Addict

Has anyone ran a Jammin with the new shocks on the car?
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote