Wiki Posts
Search

Servo Hungry: Rustler VXL

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 12:34 PM
CRT
Tech Rookie

Default Servo Hungry: Rustler VXL

Hi, this is my first post to this forum. I did a quick search and didn't find anything specific so I hope you can offer some advice.

I have a Rustler VXL and have modified many of the moving pieces to aluminum components as the break. My original steering servo broke and I replaced it with another OEM / standard servo. That broke too. Now I'm on my third Tactic TSX45 High Torq Metal Gear servo.

While this could be a servo problem I'm kinda thinking it might be my driving or my setup of replacement parts.

The RC shop in town said I could buy a $100 servo that would never break.

Do I do this? Any other thoughts?

-CRT
Old 10-31-2016, 12:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Do you set your steering end points correctly, so the servo isn't trying to move further in either direction than the steering mechanism allows ?
Old 10-31-2016, 12:53 PM
CRT
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Dandare
Do you set your steering end points correctly, so the servo isn't trying to move further in either direction than the steering mechanism allows ?
Fair question. I need to research this more deeply.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Pretty easy to do if your radio lets you adjust the end points. Turn the wheel all the way to one side, then dial back the end point until you see the steering move slightly off full lock. Do the same for the other side and you are good to go.

You could also consider upgrading the servo saver (have you been using one?). I've used the Kimbrough servo savers before and liked them. This will help absorb heavy impacts that come through the steering and put force on the servo.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Use a Kimbrough black servo saver ....
problems solved!
No need for a 100 dollar servo at all.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:16 AM
CRT
Tech Rookie

Thank you guys. We did use a server saver initially. I don't know if it was used the last two times the servo's broke.

I've posted this on behalf of my son so I need to sit down with him and share all your feedback. I'll definitely report back here what have, don't have, done and not done so that I can close the loop on your helpful feedback.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:32 AM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I believe the normal upgrade for the rustler is to use the bell cranks from the slash 4x4 and
get rid of the servo saver on the servo since its built into the slash 4x4 parts. After that a 60
dollar Savox 1258 is more than enough servo.

Aluminum bends or transfers alot of force into parts not designed for it. Keep the plastic.
RPM plastic is prob your best bet for things your breaking repeatedly.