R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-07-2006, 05:12 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to allenong Send a message via Yahoo to allenong
Default HELP!! LRP Sphere and Novak GTB race results

I was wondering if any of you guys have any info about offroad racing thats used brushless system? have you guys heard of LRP Spheres and NOvak brushless battle it out!!!??? which system is more consistently fast? any info from you guys who has lots of knowledge in US racing is highly appreciated!!!
allenong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

A lot of us in the midwest are running the GTB system with great success. Lots of reliable power and long run times. The Sphere is nice too but I've read on these forums that the ones that do have trouble are difficult to get repaired/replaced. The Sphere is current 1/12 carpet national champion.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:37 AM   #3
Tech Regular

my sphere has run faultlessly in my off-road cars.

I think there is some belief that the GTB is a better speedo simply because it is faster, but they are using the 5.5 or 6.5 novak motors.

the spheres have been used with the Reedy Neo or LRP VECTOR motors, these are (i think) 7.5 turn.

its quite obvious that the novak setup would be faster, its like comparing brushed speedos but letting one use an 8 turn, and the other using a 10 turn.

I have heard that the novak needs the fan otherwise it will thermal out, I run my sphere with just the heatsink on it and had it run for over 8 minutes on an ultra high grippy track perfectly fine.

you also need a massive 'power cap' on the GTB, you only need a small one on the sphere.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:08 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to csdspeed

I have a question regarding brushless motors(I'll ask in this thread anyway), Can you manually adjust the drag brake using the throttle trim on the transmitter and is it effective? Do all the Novak's brushless esc's have adjustable drag brake? Does the SS (not the SS+) have drag brake? because I read that it doesn't have. Sorry for the many questions. Thanks.
csdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:46 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I run the sphere and the GTB. Each has its pros and cons from my point of view. So here is my laundry list from both.

GTB - Excellent controller compared to SS. Not even the same. So far
things I do not like - Sensor wire to motor is hard wired. This
is a bad thing. I like the LRP design so I can replace it. From the
SS days I can tell you this is a weak point. It will be for any of
that use the sensor plug. Size - The fan does not fit well in a
buggy. (But you do not have to have a fan on offraod with 6.5)
Does not drive quite the same as the LRP. I like the feel of my
lrp a little better. But I can say not enough to buy the LRP.
The good items are the thing is somewhat water resistant.
It is just nuts to run in 2wd. Durabillity is still out for a verdict.
Give me a year and I will let you know.

LRP Sphere - Also a good controller. Things I dislike - I had a condensation
problem and the system quit. Needs to be water resistent. No
fan included by default. Nice to have when you have the room
for it. Limited mode of 24000 is just poor. That is why novak
removed it from the GTB. Only supports 6.5 and higher motors.
(Their wording is Larger than 5.5 so I assume the 5.5 is off
limits.) Things I like - For some reason it is a tad easier to
drive. (Maybe I have not gotten the GTB set perfectly. It has
many options.) Smaller ( Not by much. But it fits in my buggy.
Probably just lack of fan.)

All in all I would say the GTB is just a bit better system from a durabilitly standpoint. The condensation thing really has me bugged. Also the GTB is the second redition from Novak. I would wait for the sphere competition if you want the lrp. The driving ability assumes the motors would act the same
in opposing systems. I am going to swap the lrp and novak motors soon to see how the run. It may be the Vector motot does not drive as nice as the gtb motor.

Drag Break - The only systems that have this are the higher end GTB and sphere. You can dial some in using radio on the SS line of systems. But I have burned up one and so has another person. It causes much more heat in the SS from my experience.

FYI - The GTB running a 5800 motor is great. My friend runs this and the 5800 is a different motor on the GTB. The SS line was fairly nice but ANYONE who wants a brushless system save up and get a GTB and a 5800 motor. FYI smaller tracks this is great. I have a 5.5 and I never get above 1/4 throttle. I am getting a 5800 for a smaller track.
nichocgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:56 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Wow thanks for the long tip! Does that mean setting the throttle trim too low might burn the SS esc? .. Maybe ill get a used SS5800 system then get a GTB to replace the SS sometime.

Edit: Oh, and are there optional heatsinks available for the sphere??
Old 01-09-2006, 09:13 AM   #7
Tech Regular

the sphere comes with the heatsink in the box, but not fitted.

you can also use 2x LRP quantum worlds kit heatsinks if you want it slightly lower in your car, but make sure you have good ventilation.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:52 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I used throttle trim to give a drag brake effect on my 5800ss. It worked but only to a point. After 8 steps it just didn't seem to give any stronger effect. The newer Super Sport "+" does have drag brake if I remember correctly. I use GTB's now and they are great.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:47 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've run the SS5800 almost 3 years now, had 1 SS esc fail after 1 year. The updated one thermals easier than the originals, but it's to keep the internal components from unsoldering themselves (my first one did this). It does get HOT, and will thermal if not well ventilated or overgeared. Also, they respond well to batteries with high voltage and low internal resistance.

I'm pretty happy with it, but I'll probably be getting a GTB 6.5 and running it without a fan, since my new 4mod doesn't have much room for electronics. The LRP looks nice (small and light, no huge power cap), but money talks and the Novak is cheaper.
Traxxas Slash w/ STRC LCG conversion
THUMP RC -The only 4 stroke race conversion-
DP-buggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:41 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to allenong Send a message via Yahoo to allenong

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichocgn
I run the sphere and the GTB. Each has its pros and cons from my point of view. So here is my laundry list from both.

GTB - Excellent controller compared to SS. Not even the same. So far
things I do not like - Sensor wire to motor is hard wired. This
is a bad thing. I like the LRP design so I can replace it. From the
SS days I can tell you this is a weak point. It will be for any of
that use the sensor plug. Size - The fan does not fit well in a
buggy. (But you do not have to have a fan on offraod with 6.5)
Does not drive quite the same as the LRP. I like the feel of my
lrp a little better. But I can say not enough to buy the LRP.
The good items are the thing is somewhat water resistant.
It is just nuts to run in 2wd. Durabillity is still out for a verdict.
Give me a year and I will let you know.

LRP Sphere - Also a good controller. Things I dislike - I had a condensation
problem and the system quit. Needs to be water resistent. No
fan included by default. Nice to have when you have the room
for it. Limited mode of 24000 is just poor. That is why novak
removed it from the GTB. Only supports 6.5 and higher motors.
(Their wording is Larger than 5.5 so I assume the 5.5 is off
limits.) Things I like - For some reason it is a tad easier to
drive. (Maybe I have not gotten the GTB set perfectly. It has
many options.) Smaller ( Not by much. But it fits in my buggy.
Probably just lack of fan.)

All in all I would say the GTB is just a bit better system from a durabilitly standpoint. The condensation thing really has me bugged. Also the GTB is the second redition from Novak. I would wait for the sphere competition if you want the lrp. The driving ability assumes the motors would act the same
in opposing systems. I am going to swap the lrp and novak motors soon to see how the run. It may be the Vector motot does not drive as nice as the gtb motor.

Drag Break - The only systems that have this are the higher end GTB and sphere. You can dial some in using radio on the SS line of systems. But I have burned up one and so has another person. It causes much more heat in the SS from my experience.

FYI - The GTB running a 5800 motor is great. My friend runs this and the 5800 is a different motor on the GTB. The SS line was fairly nice but ANYONE who wants a brushless system save up and get a GTB and a 5800 motor. FYI smaller tracks this is great. I have a 5.5 and I never get above 1/4 throttle. I am getting a 5800 for a smaller track.
DO u know when will be the realease of LRP Competition? i did look at towerhobbies but they stil dont have one available. I see that LRP needs smaller "power cap" compared to the GTB. But is it available when u buy the ESC or u will buy it seperatley? ur info is very informative. guys that wana start in brushless will really benefit from these..
allenong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:47 PM   #11
Tech Adept

i havnt personally ran either one but watching guys at the track that have i think the novak system is faster
My.02
Old 01-10-2006, 01:55 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

allenong - Glad to see you are very excited about Brushless Technology and are obviously considering it for your new B4 kit. Whether you get an LRP Sphere or Novak GTB at this point really won't make that much of a difference since you are still on a rather steep driving learning curve. This is why I wouldn't suggest starting with the fastest Brushless Motor out there. Power and Speed mean nothing without control. Learning how to handle a 2WD buggy is trickier than first running a Stadium Truck or even a 4WD kit which provides better all around traction. Since your deadset on getting a Brushless System, I would suggest buying the Novak GTB ESC first (without the 6.5 or 5.5 Velociti Motors) and combining it with a SS4300 Motor. Depending on how often you practice... in a few weeks or months you can then upgrade to SS5800 or even a 6.5 if you choose. If you start out with too much power and speed on your first 2WD kit.... you will break a bunch of parts and accumulate a lot of frustration along with it. Trust me, patience and practice are key in this hobby. See ya at the Track!

Last edited by STEALTH; 01-10-2006 at 07:31 AM.
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:00 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Hey, what would you guys suggest on the XXX-4? A sphere or GTB? Will the sphere with heatsinks fit on it? I'll just be buying the esc first.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:00 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

csdspeed - The first Brushless System I got was Novak's 5800 Super Sport around 3 years ago and I installed it on my XXX-4. It had no problems fitting but I quickly learned that I had to cut strategically placed holes or vents on the body to allow for better air-flow and ventilation. Furthermore, I even bought a small Reedy fan to help keep the ESC's temperature down to avoid thermal shutdowns. Other than those minor adaptations the Super Sport worked great on my XXX-4 (now a G+) as well as on my other 4WD kits in general. The GTB should fit but you might just have to move it's fan to the side rather than keep it directly over the ESC in order to fit the body perfectly. Hope that helps!

Yes, the Sphere with it's heatsink should fit without any problems. Just know that LRP recommends that Sphere owners buy their Cooling Set from them separately (Fan, Capacitor, etc.). You only learn about this after purchasing the Sphere and reading it on their User Guide manual.
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #15
Tech Legend

That cooling set is`nt needed if you are racing the Sphere in Off-road..
Recommend Fan it if you are using it in a sedan however....

My Sphere gets warm , thats it ...
I use mind in a Ae B-4

Stealth ,over 200 runs now on my Neo & Sphere.....

Can you believe it ?

Won`t be long before I have 300 !!!!

So far all I`v had to fix is replace the 6 pin hall effect harness...
My fault pulling it off & on to many times ...
recommend now to use a small scewdriver or knife to pry the plug free .....

Don`t pull-it....

nichocgn , small mistake, the Sphere is rated for 5.5 and up ...

The new Sphere Competition is rated for 4.5 .....
Attached Thumbnails
HELP!! LRP Sphere and Novak GTB race results-200-runs.jpg   HELP!! LRP Sphere and Novak GTB race results-b-4-sphere.jpg  

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 01-10-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote