R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-11-2006, 01:53 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Wild Cherry - Hey good to see your Sphere is still ticking.... I was wondering when you would chime in on this Brushless talk! 200+ runs huh... I believe you cause from your pics it sure looks it! By the way, I noticed you have a Novak Cap hooked up to it?! Playing it safe I take it?! Associated was cool enough to replace my damaged Sphere (blown fets apparently?!? ) and so I now have it installed in my T4 rather than my BJ4. Will run it soon but I have been racing my favorite class a lot lately (4WD) and been having lots of fun with my Novak GTB 6.5 which is now in my BJ4. Anyway, I'll give the Sphere another chance to prove itself and hopefully it will be as reliable as yours has been!

By the way the Sphere Comeptition that can handle a 4.5 Brushless Motor really isn't needed for Off-Road racing.... especially in 2WD kits. At the 2003 Worlds down in Florida (Minnreg) where traction was good on a blue-groove track... the Pros in the A-Main used 14-Turn Motors. At the 2005 Worlds in Italy many ran Mod motors hooked up to only 5 battery cells in 2WD because of the track's rough terrain and low traction. Again, Power and Speed mean nothing without Control.
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:11 AM   #17
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to allenong Send a message via Yahoo to allenong

Yes stealth, im pretty much sure of getting a brushless for racing my b4... the only question is what to buy? Novaks have great custumer support!! maybe faster too but doesnt have different modes.. LRP has different modes, also fast... but i hear bad customer support... U said to buy a slower motor first before getting a faster one... which i think is very much true to avoid frustrations of crashing and breaking parts... but will the LRP sphere and reedy motor 3 star work perfect for beginners by setting the esc to stock mode or maybe set it to sportsman mode to lower the rpm? (just read that) so speeds will be suitable for beginners? In that way I dont have to buy as many motor... bad for people's pocket knowledgable guys!!! im inviting u all, dont hesitate to post here.. I hope I and many other beginner brushless enthusiast could learn something from u...
allenong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:12 AM   #18
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to allenong Send a message via Yahoo to allenong

Yes stealth, im pretty much sure of getting a brushless for racing my b4... the only question is what to buy? Novaks have great custumer support!! maybe faster too but doesnt have different modes.. LRP has different modes, also fast... but i hear bad customer support... U said to buy a slower motor first before getting a faster one... which i think is very much true to avoid frustrations of crashing and breaking parts... but will the LRP sphere and reedy motor 3 star work perfect for beginners by setting the esc to stock mode or maybe set it to sportsman mode to lower the rpm? (just read that) so speeds will be suitable for beginners? In that way I dont have to buy as many motor... bad for people's pocket knowledgable guys!!! im inviting u all, dont hesitate to post here.. I hope I and many other beginner brushless enthusiast could learn something from u... thx stealth for some great tips there..
allenong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:03 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to csdspeed

Hoy mga fellow pinoys and living in Pilipinas people pala kayo mga sirs!(stealth and allenong ) I got a used Super Sport with SS5800. I think the GTB and the Sphere are still too expensive to me considering my age. . I'll just use the SS for now and buy a GTB or shpere esc in the future. Thanks for the tips and ideas.

Last edited by csdspeed; 01-11-2006 at 03:28 AM.
csdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:21 AM   #20
Tech Legend

Stealth , its actually on 230 !!!
and for the Novak cap its just till I get the Sphere version..
You should see one , its very small, fits under solder tabs for wire on ESC...

I`m calling DON at Ae tommorow !!!

And for the not really true word on Ae`s service with Ae products ...

They do the best they can , I`v been very happy with them though the year`s with any repair`s ....

Seen even a friend with a problem with a Sphere...

He gets it fixed in less than 3 weeks..... ..

Thats with Ae telling um to a expect a delay....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:31 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The standard sphere is rated as "over 5.5 turns" from their website. That limits it to a 6.5 or higher. Still no issue though. I have a 5.5 and 6.5 motor. Rarely can I put either of them down. You can probably stick a 5.5 on it and have no issues.

As far as the supersport idea - It is actually not a bad idea. I had one for over 1 year. I killed the bearing on it and wanted to race and they had a GTB in stock. Yea that was a hard decision.

Also I just ordered a 1 star motor I think it was. They smaller tracks you can't get past 1/4 throttle with the big motors.

If I was tight on money - SS+ 5800. You can run it in limited mode at first.
Then move to unlimited mode. Then I would upgrade to a gtb controller or a sphere controller. If you bash get one with reverse.

If you have ok batteries there is a difference in running the 5800 on the GTB and the SS. So each of the steps would be a small upgrade.
nichocgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:40 AM   #22
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to csdspeed

Yeah, that was what I was planning. SS with ss5800 motor 1st(used), then when I have more money, I'll get a GTB or Sphere.
csdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:41 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

If your not in a hurry for Brushless then keep an eye on Tekin's Brushless for 1/10th scale.
Their 1/18th scale brushless is the best out there over the Mamba and im sure their 1/10th scale will be nothing but quality as well.
Just a thought.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:26 AM   #24
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichocgn
The standard sphere is rated as "over 5.5 turns" from their website. That limits it to a 6.5 or higher. Still no issue though. I have a 5.5 and 6.5 motor. Rarely can I put either of them down. You can probably stick a 5.5 on it and have no issues.

Also I just ordered a 1 star motor I think it was. They smaller tracks you can't get past 1/4 throttle with the big motors.
Our track TRCR Tacoma, WA. is on the smaller size ...
I use the 3 star (5.5) , no problems, cept pullin wheelie`s going down the staight...

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 01-11-2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:39 AM   #25
Tech Regular

I thought the LRP Vector/Reedy Neo-1 3-star was a 7.5 turn?
Old 01-11-2006, 12:31 PM   #26
Tech Legend

No...

I can understand...
That star system is confusing..

more star`s = faster motor
Old 01-12-2006, 03:01 AM   #27
Tech Regular

I understand the star rating,

but the 3 star motor (Reedy/LRP) is a 7.5 turn brushless motor.

thats why people with the Novak system think their speedo is better because its faster (running a 5.5 or 6.5) but its basically just because they have a lower wind motor.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:59 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

For those wondering about LRP's star rating and it's equivalence in Brushed Motor terms...Here is what Brent Thielke (Associated Team Manager) has stated:

"For some reason when the Brushless System was first released someone thought we'd never have other motor options. The NEO-One is the motor name and the number of stars denotes the speed. All of the current Brushless Reedy motors are the NEO-One, much like a Ti or Kr or Pt...the NEO-One is just the name. I know it's confusing and I'm passing the information on to marketing, but for right now use this table:

NEO-One 1* (#110)=Brushed 14-15 Turn

NEO-One 2* (#112)=Brushed 12-13 Turn (Recommended:2wd)

NEO-One 3* (#111)=Brushed 11-12 Turn (Recommended:Truck/4wd)

NEO-One 4* (#113)=Brushed 9-10 Turn"

Hope that Helps!

Last edited by STEALTH; 01-12-2006 at 04:10 AM.
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:43 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I have had TERRIBLE problems with the Novak GTB. Actually 3 people at our local track has had problems with them. One guy, his didn't work out of the box...just nothing. The other would thermal shutdown after 1 minute (even geared properly) and mine...I've had 2 now. Neither of which has lasted a full race day before going up in smoke, literally! You can see the melted case of the first one in the pics below.

Now to Novak's credit, they have been VERY helpful in getting me replacement units but I'm going through brushless ESC's at about the same rate I'm going through spindle carriers on my XXX4 G+.

In my opinion, the Novak system is NOT ready for prime time. If and when they get it worked out I wish them the best. But, after losing 2 race days to a bunk brushless ESC, I'm done with it.

I'm going back to brushed motors for now. I may try the Sphere or the new Tekin system when it's ready. Till then, I'll be running brushed motors.

Just to clarify, all the systems discussed above were perfectly installed (read no user error here).

Blake
Attached Thumbnails
HELP!! LRP Sphere and Novak GTB race results-novakgtb-001-small-.jpg   HELP!! LRP Sphere and Novak GTB race results-novakgtb-002-small-.jpg  

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:59 AM   #30
Tech Addict

dr_hfuhuhurr,

It's because of your situation and others like it that I really was affraid to take the plunge and get the Novak system. It seemed like a 50/50 shot to get one that actually worked as it was intended. My thought process was the first batch seemed to be the bad ones and all the latest purchases have been good units. Just curious, how long have you had your system? I got mine 2 weeks ago and it has been perfect for me since the first day. I'll never buy another brushed speed control again. Once I get the money, all my cars will have brushless speedos. I'm sure this isn't exactly what you want to hear since I've been on your side of things numerous times with other products. I totally believe you that your system (or multiple systems) went up in smoke even though you had everything installed properly and weren't abusing them. If you did get one of the original systems, then I'd assume Novak is sending you back one of the newer updated ones that aren't bad. I'd give it one more shot before throwing in the towel. The performance of this speedo with the 6.5 or 5.5 motors is truly amazing.
Laterilus is offline   Reply With Quote