Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Serpent Spyder SRX2MH

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 07:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The conversion is top notch. Fit and finish is impeccable!
Old 11-21-2016, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Wats involved w installing the conversion? And what does the conv accomplish
Old 11-21-2016, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TJames987
Wats involved w installing the conversion? And what does the conv accomplish
Aluminum chassis and 3 gear laydown for most. Transmission is user choice.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

does the motor remain in the same position as the original srx2 mm or does the change in tranny affect motor position?
Old 11-22-2016, 12:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TJames987
does the motor remain in the same position as the original srx2 mm or does the change in tranny affect motor position?
With all the different trans available the only one that would keep it in close to the same position would be the 4 gear stand up trans. 3 gear stand up would be opposite side and laydown would be farther forward
Old 12-03-2016, 10:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

they are selling the kit here now: http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/p...cat=182&page=1
Old 12-05-2016, 08:30 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

All I know is my buddy converted both his Serpents with this conversion kit and his car went from good to outstanding. He only raced mod 2wd buggy ever and in the 2nd week with the conversion on he made the A main. I never saw his car look so good as it does now on are medium to high grip indoor clay track. Its not a track you run slicks on and are track don't black groove either so some days it has high traction depending on the weather outside and other days it has medium traction but either way I never saw my buggy's Serpent look so dialed on the track.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi Guys, I'm converting my SRX2-MM over to the SRX-2 MH with the conversion kit. I am using the 3 gear laydown. Everything was going great until I assembled the transmission. Everything went in fine, but when I closed up the case the transmission binds. It feels as if ione of the gears has a high spot. My diff gear is aluminum as is my shaft. The 3rd gear which came with the MH transmission is plastic. I've marked the inside of the case to see if I can determine where its binding but have been unable to determine where. I put my diff gear and shaft in my old stand up transmission and it spins very free. Any thoughts?
Thanks for your time,
Matt
Old 12-17-2016, 02:44 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
All I know is my buddy converted both his Serpents with this conversion kit and his car went from good to outstanding. He only raced mod 2wd buggy ever and in the 2nd week with the conversion on he made the A main. I never saw his car look so good as it does now on are medium to high grip indoor clay track. Its not a track you run slicks on and are track don't black groove either so some days it has high traction depending on the weather outside and other days it has medium traction but either way I never saw my buggy's Serpent look so dialed on the track.
I agree, I liked my older srx2mm car but the MH conversion or MH kit are great updates. We are using 4gear laydown on our med clay track and they are working well.

Originally Posted by MattSC
Hi Guys, I'm converting my SRX2-MM over to the SRX-2 MH with the conversion kit. I am using the 3 gear laydown. Everything was going great until I assembled the transmission. Everything went in fine, but when I closed up the case the transmission binds. It feels as if ione of the gears has a high spot. My diff gear is aluminum as is my shaft. The 3rd gear which came with the MH transmission is plastic. I've marked the inside of the case to see if I can determine where its binding but have been unable to determine where. I put my diff gear and shaft in my old stand up transmission and it spins very free. Any thoughts?
Thanks for your time,
Matt
I noticed the same thing when we assembled both of ours, using all plastic other than the top shaft, and after a battery or 2 of break-in the binding disappeared.

Last edited by flame56mx; 12-17-2016 at 02:55 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the response. I tried running in the gearbox hooked up to my dremel, I varied speeds with it and ran it for quite a bit and it still seems pretty tight. I was able to locate a metal idler gear for the 3 gear setup and will give that a try when it comes in. I had this happen the first time I built the gear diff for my SRX-2 with the plastic diff gear. I replaced it with the metal gear and it was silky smooth. I will update it when I get the new gear in. I'm hoping it helps
Old 12-17-2016, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MattSC
Thanks for the response. I tried running in the gearbox hooked up to my dremel, I varied speeds with it and ran it for quite a bit and it still seems pretty tight. I was able to locate a metal idler gear for the 3 gear setup and will give that a try when it comes in. I had this happen the first time I built the gear diff for my SRX-2 with the plastic diff gear. I replaced it with the metal gear and it was silky smooth. I will update it when I get the new gear in. I'm hoping it helps
Just run it. It will smooth out. Mine was like that. Now it's smooth and free. Making way too much out of this.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by kwiksi
Just run it. It will smooth out. Mine was like that. Now it's smooth and free. Making way too much out of this.
I was finally able to get to the track and run the conversion for the first time. I was really impressed with how it drove. It was much better than I expected. As for my transmission, I ran 3 packs through it, two heats and a main. It is a little better, but still tight overall and seems to have a high spot. I'm going to see if I can put more laps on it and hopefully it will free up some more
Old 12-29-2016, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

mine 4 gear mm;spins free forever but it is really LOUD could the metal idlers be the cause?
Old 12-29-2016, 08:14 PM
Tech Rookie

It could be the metal idlers, or check your gear mesh from the pinion to the spur gear. Is it a ball or gear diff? I had two metal idlers in my 4 gear, I usually put a few drops of oil in my gears, it quiets them down a bit, but if yours is working fine, I would leave it alone. My new 3 gear is a little bit on the loud side compared to my SC truck
Old 12-29-2016, 08:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GasGod
mine 4 gear mm;spins free forever but it is really LOUD could the metal idlers be the cause?
My 4 gear was loud at first, but has quieted considerably after a few packs. Also my pinion "looked" fine but after replacing it and trans loosening up my car it one of the quietest on the track. I am running all plastic internal gears, std avid bearings etc.

Last edited by flame56mx; 12-30-2016 at 04:13 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.