Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Best brushed motor and ESC >

Best brushed motor and ESC

Best brushed motor and ESC

Old 01-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Tech Adept

Default Best brushed motor and ESC

Hi, I'm looking to outfit my xx-4 (the new one) with a brushed setup. I know nothing about brushed motors. I have a xxx-4 with a ss5800 and a xx-4 with a GTB 5.5.

I'm looking to outfit my new xx-4 with a brushed setup and ESC.

As I said, I know nothing about brushes, cutting comms, etc.

I'm looking for the absolute best motor I can get that will last the longest.

I'll be using the motor primarily for racing and a little bashing. Nothing hardcore, just up and down my street. Now I'm going to get 2 of these motors. I'd like to spend under $70 a piece for the motors.

Questions.
1. What is the most durable motor out there that requires the least ammount of maintenance.
2. What turn do I need? is 19 Turn specifically for on road motors? I like speed, but I also like 10 minutes or so of runtime.
3. Am I best off to get a custom mod motor from some guy that makes motors? Blueprinted or whatever?
4. Will a custom blueprinted motor result in less issues?
5. If you do suggest a mod motor from a builder, who do you suggest?

There was a guy on yahoo I was talking to that's on here, but I forgot his yahoo id and company name

Thanks, Kevin
Old 01-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I really like Team Br00d motors. They have a tread on the Electric Onroad section. He would really be the one to ask about this.
One question, why switch from the brushless?
Old 01-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

get a Team Checkpoint mod...

1: Orion V2 lasts longest btw cuts, but its a b!tch to replace the brushes, diassemble, and solder wires to... plus they are suceptable to damage due to physical harm...

2: turn ? what does your track use? 10 min of runtime sounds like tooo much for a mod. not sure about 19t... 19t is for offroad too... again, Team checkpoint makes a killer 19T...

3. If you buy a Checkpoint, theres no need for tuning.. those things are insane...

4. no

5. n/a
Old 01-04-2006, 06:01 PM
Tech Adept

I would recommend the Novak GTX for an ESC, for a mod motor the Orion V2's are great, brushes and comm last a long time. They are a little tough to solder the motor wires to though.
Also the Cobolt motors from Trinity are pretty good as well.
I've heard the Checkpoint motor is the hot thing right now.
As far a a wind get what the majority of the guys at your local track run.
For a motor tuner you won't be disappointed in the Putnam motors.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:16 AM
Tech Master

If you want a hot setup just go with the Novak GTX and a Checkpoint 10x2. The Checkpoint is $70 and brushes are $10 which is considered quite expensive. The V2 will outlast the Checkpoint, brushes are a lot cheaper ($3.50), but the V2 is a pain to work on as others have said. Once you get the hang of it, you should be fine. All in all, I think the positive side of the V2 outweighs the positive side of the Checkpoint. Get the V2.

Checkpoint 10t - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKFF1&P=7

Orion V2 - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...on&FVPROFIL=++

Novak GTX - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHRG7&P=7

Note: the Blue endbell V2 was primarily designed for offroad racing (less torque), but most people use the TC versions such as the Black endbell and Steenari regardless. I have yet to see the other versions being used in offroad.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Personally I run a LRP QC3 and Peak Performance 10x2 spashett edition in my XX4.
But I would say that as I am slightly biased towards them
Old 01-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

As for ESC, I would highly recommend the Tekin G11. Just being able to tune the drag brakes and throttle and brake frequencies in seconds is worth it. And you don't need any additional capacitors or diodes or anything, just solder in the speedo and go!