Old 01-07-2006, 06:43 PM   #31
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.s. power
I agree that this years worlds can be the best ever - can be

Indonesia is not the safest country in the world

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_918.html
If you read the Editors Note in the new issue of XRC, Derek Buono gives a HUGE rant about the poor location of the Worlds this year. He even says that XRC, RC Driver, and RC Car are not going to cover the race and he suspects many US drivers will not attend.
NismoSkyline17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoSkyline17
If you read the Editors Note in the new issue of XRC, Derek Buono gives a HUGE rant about the poor location of the Worlds this year. He even says that XRC, RC Driver, and RC Car are not going to cover the race and he suspects many US drivers will not attend.

exactly!!! I think the worlds need to be held either in europe, northern asia, or north america. I don't mean to be an ass, but you have to think of the safety of all these guys, american or not. Yes you want the worlds to occur all over the world, hence the name. But I think "worlds" should mean drivers from all over the world. If the US contingent doesn't show up, I don't see how it can be a worlds event.

Almost half the drivers in the A main are american and probably have the best chances out of anybody to win it, and to not have them there is a disapointment, but I don't blame them for that.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:22 AM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.s. power
If the US contingent doesn't show up, I don't see how it can be a worlds event.

Almost half the drivers in the A main are american and probably have the best chances out of anybody to win it, and to not have them there is a disapointment, but I don't blame them for that.

Talk about ego! Nice attitude

So, by your logic, the 1980 Moscow Olympics weren't really the Olympics because the USA boycotted it

Sorry, I didn't realise that the US drivers were so much better than anyone else

Let me see, only 2 US drivers have finished in the top3 in the worlds since their inception in 1986. This compares against 5 French, 6 Italian, and 8 Japanese. The US has only 1 world championship winner, compared to 2 French, 3 Italian, and 3 Japanese, so I can't see how they have "the best chances of winning it"

Out of 10 world championships, the US have had more than 3 drivers make the A-Main on only 3 occasions, so I'd hardly say that "almost half the drivers in the A-Main are American" In fact statistics show that the Japanese and French are the most common Nationalities represented in the Worlds A-Main.

Safety is hardly an issue, their has been numerous terrorist crimes commited throughout Europe in the last few years, and I don't see you commenting that Europe is unsafe!
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:06 AM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The way I see it is this hobby is starting to take off again like it did in the late 80's early 90's. It died off back then, but is coming back largely due to RTR trucks like the T-Maxx and Savage. These RTR kits outsell the Pro kits we build probably 100:1 or more. The guys buying these trucks spend thousands in hopups and bling-bling ...LOL Eventually they make it out to the track where they see these awesome 1/8th scales and truggies ripping it up. After an ill attempt to race them with their RTR, the Maxx hits ebay and they're back in the hobbyshop picking up a new car/truck to race with. These guys/kids have the money too!

With all this new growth, the money is pouring in to the companies that manufacture these kits. The Pro drivers are just getting shuffled around as they reach into the Mfgr's pockets a little deeper each time. I'd bet that most of these Pro's got paid dirt two-three years ago. But I think that's changing quickly as these Mfgr's compete for your money. This is BIG business now. They want their car to be the best and some are paying out the bucks to acquire the drivers to make that happen. Companies that have a well established reputation already aren't buying in so quickly and instead increasing their 50% drivers to get more local and regional "fast-guys" running their product. While some guys may run out tomorrow and buy a Kyosho because Tebo won somewhere with it, it's more likely that what the local "hot-shoe" won with Sunday will sell on Monday. Time will tell which approach will pay off the most. But in the end, it'll all eventually level out.

For us lowly unsponsored guys, I just hope the cost on kits, parts and tires don't go up ....LOL

Tony P.

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:58 AM   #35
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Worlds races are all about the drivers I think , granted the ride has a little to do with it as well , but I have seen some really fast guys switch from one brand of car to another and be just as fast ! So like Tony was saying , the sponsored driver's are definately getting paid the BIG BUCKS! What makes me wonder is, are these companies really making a ton of money on their products ? This would be an interesting topic to look into ?
mremtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:03 AM   #36
Tech Initiate

Well, I think it's all about:

WIN ON SUNDAY, SELL ON MONDAY !!!
vgerdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:17 AM   #37
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

It's all about the money.. Just an opinion..but the manufactures are pushing 1/8 scale very hard here in the "states",One of the problems i see with that is cost,lack of tracks that are willing to run 1/8 scale due to the size needed.Most of the guys I know that own 1/8 scale buggies Don't even race..But they do pay attention to the big races and what buggy wins.So vgerdes is 100% correct on his comment.I dont think you will see a lot of Americans racing in the 1/8 scale classes at the worlds..on road or off road.It's just not that poplar here like it is in the rest of the world.I do think that Kyosho should have tried to keep Kortz and Tebo,They are some of the Best R&D guy's around.. I don't think Kyosho's 1/8 scale budget is very big for the U.S and the drivers just wanted to get Paid..more
Old 01-08-2006, 09:43 PM   #38
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to travymoto1

I think Tony pretty much nailed it.

I just read a post where a guy couldn't decide between:

MBX5
XB8
TTR
X1-CR
Mayhem
etc.

That is prob pretty common and it comes down to who is winning locally or who is making the headlines.

Some cars may be better "out of the box" than others and I agree that it can be confusing to make a decision, but the driver/tuner is just as big a factor as the manufacture.

this thread has been a lot of fun to read!!!
travymoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:51 PM   #39
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to killswitch

First off, I don't race 1/8 scale (I do race), but I do manage a hobby shop that about 65% of sales are RC. Tony absolutely has the right idea about car sales. RTRs revolutionized this hobby to tons of people that wouldn't have taken the time to build a kit, let alone race it. Our society is all about instant gratification nowdays. With that being said, I feel that the local "hot shoe" has a larger affect on our sales to racers than who won the worlds. Big time sponsorship hasn't really paid off like it used to. Don't get me wrong, signature series of products (AD2, the Kinwald buggies, Kanai buggies, etc) sell okay, but the hobby hasn't seen win on Sunday, sell on Monday on a large scale since the days when Joel Johnson was on EVERYTHING. That was the best money Ernie P. ever spent. You couldn't pick up a Car Action and not see Magic in it at least a dozen times. Signature models are nice, but my customers that want a high end race ride could care less if Adam Drake's mug is on the box. They want what's in the box (titanium this, graphite that) because it's a better deal. I remember buying a Team edition RC10GT and sinking an extra $250 in it before I even had it assembled. Now you can buy a FT and get it in the box for a hell of a lot cheaper. A lot of sponsored guys also get a regular paycheck from these companies because they work for them M-F, 9-5. More often the sponsors pay the racers way to the race, entry fees, hotel room costs, etc.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:17 PM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks guys

I also think that most guys realize that the 100% factory paid and sponsored driver is driving a car that you or I can't build. I completely understand it's their job to test new or prototype parts, but the guy at the local track kicking everyone's hump is usually driving a car out of the box with a few of the popular name-brand hop-ups on it (King Headz, Racer's Edge, Eck-Tec, Dace, Lundsford, etc...).

I think that's why Mugen has done so well with their MBX5. Jason Ashton built a new standard X5 kit (not a ProSpec) and won the 04' Nats with it. There was nothing special about the car except for the washers under the ackerman to raise it and whatever tires he ran as he was sponsored by ProLine at the time.

Up here in the NorthEast, most everyone runs the same cars that the top 3-4 fast guys are running.

Tony P.

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:47 PM   #41
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mremtr
He didn't do very well at the Neo-Buggy Invitational ...... and all the best of the best were there .
And if the race is held in Indonesia I 'm sure the track is going to get rough as heck and Xrays and Mugens have a tough time in the rough .... I think it will come down to the new Hobao rides and the Kyoshos . Xrays are good if things are smooth and flat ,they have a lot of really nice stuff, but it's the attention to details that will get to the finish line first ,and Xray needs to address them , steering knuckles, and arms need to be dremeled for clearance ???? I think the new Hobao's and Kyoshos are going to be tough to beat , oh you can't rule out the new ZX1 Caster thing .... LOL

Whats wrong with the ZX1 caster thing? seen it the other day for the first time and now im curious

Later,
Jerry
Old 01-14-2006, 03:07 AM   #42
Tech Initiate

Bender, just a little piece of info for you. 1/8th racing didn't get big in the U.S. until just a few years ago and it keeps growing. Even in 2002 (when Degani won) it still was nowhere near as big as it is now.

Egos aside, there was a time when the 1/8th Worlds could've been held without the U.S. and it wouldn't have mattered. That's not the case anymore.
KevinLRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:48 AM   #43
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLRC
Bender, just a little piece of info for you. 1/8th racing didn't get big in the U.S. until just a few years ago and it keeps growing. Even in 2002 (when Degani won) it still was nowhere near as big as it is now.

Egos aside, there was a time when the 1/8th Worlds could've been held without the U.S. and it wouldn't have mattered. That's not the case anymore.
That's all totally irrelevant.

I just found that post by OS Power to be extremely egotistical and rude. In the space of a few paragraphs he managed to insult 1 asian country, all non-US 1/8th drivers, and basically all RC drivers in the world!

The world champs are STILL the world champs, regardless of who does or doesn't attend, and to imply that the attendance of one country (regardless of who it is) is what makes the event worthwhile is simply arrogant and wrong.
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:24 AM   #44
Tech Regular

American and arrogant... naaah never
BringItOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:07 PM   #45
Tech Initiate

Just pointing out that the U.S. has only been into 1/8th the last few years.
KevinLRC is offline   Reply With Quote