Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Is carpet off road the next big thing? >

Is carpet off road the next big thing?

Is carpet off road the next big thing?

Old 09-15-2016, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Is carpet off road the next big thing?

It's gained huge popularity in Europe and other countries. Now American companies are releasing carpet specific models. My "local" track just got rid of clay in favor of a new carpet setup.

I personally love the carpet more than I like dirt but that's just my opinion. What do you guys think? Is the carpet just a fad? Or is this the next step/direction of the hobby?

Also for those of you who don't like carpet, I would love to hear the reasoning behind it.

Last edited by bmx_ican92; 09-15-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I hope not. If the market in the future only has carpet viable cars for sale they will only hurt themselves as I don't see carpet being appealing to the grass roots of the hobby. I'd probably be out as well.

Everyone likes rooster tails!
Old 09-15-2016, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

As someone new to the hobby I can see the appeal on both sides. I've personally never run on carpet yet, just an indoor clay track and there is an outdoor dirt track I'll be going to here soon..
I already know I'll have to have a different setup for each type. Clay specific tires are just waiting to be glued and run. The big knobbies that came with the 410.3 I picked up off a guy here aren't the best for the indoor Clay.

If there ends up being carpet around me at some point I'll be looking for the right setup for those track conditions... I've already learned that unless you're going to build and run your own track, then you're gonna adapt to what the guy who does provides...
Old 09-15-2016, 10:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I tried carpet for the first time not too long ago and I really like it, not love it but like it enough to get a "carpet" car. If you say off-road I picture dirt and jumps. Carpet is great alternative to off-road dirt but not a substitute. I still prefer dirt.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bmx_ican92 View Post
It's gained huge popularity in Europe and other countries. Now American companies are releasing carpet specific models. My "local" track just gutted all the clay in favor of a new carpet setup.

I personally love the carpet more than I like dirt but that's just my opinion. What do you guys think? Is the carpet just a fad? Or is this the next step/direction of the hobby?

Also for those of you who don't like carpet, I would love to hear the reasoning behind it.
1) Why did YOUR track remove the dirt and put in carpet?

2) Why do you like carpet better than dirt? Why not just run on road?

3) Carpet and Astro turf are NOT the same......as this thread moves forward, if it does.

4) IF any of the tracks in my state were to change from dirt to CARPET, I would NOT race off road there. I would TRY Astro turf, assuming it was a clay base covered in Astor. Like the NORMAL Yatabe track, NOT the crap they used for the Worlds.

5) None of my dirt tracks run slicks. But personally, even as the grip levels increase there's still something about off road being DIRT for me to want to race on it. I've raced on carpet tracks with wooden jumps and I'm sorry, IT SUCKS!!
Old 09-15-2016, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I won't say it is going to be "the next big thing", but I can understand why track owners are moving that way (I'm not an owner). It is way less maintenance and is cleaner for both track owner and racer, which turns in to time savings for all.

I also agree with @Deaner in that the general hobby of RC is much bigger than just us racers, and will more than likely still offer cars for dirt applications.

I personally like the carpet racing over dirt because of the high traction, predictable handling, and cleanliness of the cars (i.e. less maintenance time).
Old 09-15-2016, 10:31 AM
Tech Adept

i'm old school, i started racing in the late 80's outdoors. i prefer a dry track too.
i like it when the track change every heart and you have to look for traction.
jump faces change to as the race day gets later thats how you learn to drive.
running on carpet, just not for me. i bet you break more parts too on carpet.

sorry carpet is for on road racing!!!!
Old 09-15-2016, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brew99 View Post
I won't say it is going to be "the next big thing", but I can understand why track owners are moving that way (I'm not an owner). It is way less maintenance and is cleaner for both track owner and racer, which turns in to time savings for all.

I also agree with @Deaner in that the general hobby of RC is much bigger than just us racers, and will more than likely still offer cars for dirt applications.

I personally like the carpet racing over dirt because of the high traction, predictable handling, and cleanliness of the cars (i.e. less maintenance time).
While serious it's still a friendly jab.."just race on road then".

"Predictable handling", that's part of the fun/part of racing, finding the right tire and the right set up for the track conditions. That's part of running off road, even on the current high bite tracks.

I raced Slot Cars at the National level in the early 2000's and can tell you that we didn't have "predictable handling", think about that. Handling is a part of racing..

Even the lower bite indoor dirt tracks have minimal 'dust' that needs to be cleaned off of the cars. We ain't talkin' outdoor 8th scale nitro in the rain after all
Old 09-15-2016, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Race carpet off road (3 tracks) since Sept 2010, until either they closed or moved and didn't offer a track. Raced dirt and clay tracks during this time also.

Only one had junk jumps. All had carpeted jumps.

Carpet is not 100% cleaner than clay/dirt, carpet fibers can get into bearing. HEY dirt/clay does that!!!!

Carpet is similar to racing at the top level ROAR, Worlds where the track doesn't change the during the 3 day event. No blow outs, jump face degradation and ruts.

Carpet isn't better or worse, just different.

===

Carpet doesn't last on off road like it does with on road. More chassis contact front of jumps and landing areas.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I race on road >>> on asphalt not carpet!!!
Old 09-15-2016, 11:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I should have clarified into original post but I never think that dirt cars will be replaced or gotten rid of. I was just wondering if you guys think it will become bigger here in the states.

The reason our track went to carpet is because now they can run off road and on road on the same track. We race off-road with jumps and rhythm sections in the morning and then once the mains are done they take down to the jumps and run on road on the same track.

The same reason I enjoy carpet so much is the same reason it seems like a lot of you guys dislike it. I like the consistency of the track and the ultra high grip really brings a new feel to racing. When I run my buggy on slicks on carpet it almost feels like on road with just how responsive and precise the steering and throttle are and then to top it off you can still get decent air off jumps.

Different strokes for different folks for sure! Just wanted to see how everyone else felt about it. It's nice to discuss something other than a chassis on here for once 😂
Old 09-15-2016, 11:27 AM
Tech Adept

for the guys that do race on carpet and or astro truf.
with all that traction you do get do you break more parts on carpet?
i read the b6 shock towers have been breaking?
is it from all the traction the buggy is getting and hitting things harder
or is it flipping over and catching the towers in the carpet?
Old 09-15-2016, 11:31 AM
Tech Addict

Carpet tracks are good for the sport/hobby in that they provide an alternative in places where the other choice is no track at all. Our local track is in half of a warehouse/garage that a guy rents and he runs club races twice a month. Even if he were allowed to dump clay in his rented space, he would not have the time to maintain it. Instead, carpet means maintenance is way easier and he isn't having to put much free time doing unpaid labor just so we could come and have fun.

In the days where off-road meant loose, loamy dirt and mid-motor was laughable, a carpet indoor track wouldn't have worked. Now that the indoor clay tracks have a ton of grip, it's not that difficult of a stretch. Actually, carpet chassis innovations, laydown transmissions, etc. are actually going back into clay setups now. So carpet has somewhat propelled the clay car to new levels!

I love running on clay. I love it. But carpet is really nice too. The biggest problem with carpet tracks, IMO, is that many tend to make wedge ramps with a straight 30 degree takeoff. It's like smacking a bump and being popped straight up. No hope of down-siding. If more effort is put into designing and building curve ramps and rollers that mimic the contours of a dirt jump, then that will make things better. High-level carpet races have good jumps, but the average club race carpet track seems hit or miss, mostly miss.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:33 AM
Tech Addict

I should add that without carpet, there would be no track within 2 hours of me and I would have never gotten into RC racing.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by floyd2810 View Post
for the guys that do race on carpet and or astro truf.
with all that traction you do get do you break more parts on carpet?
i read the b6 shock towers have been breaking?
is it from all the traction the buggy is getting and hitting things harder
or is it flipping over and catching the towers in the carpet?
Racing astro and carpet I probably break 10% of the parts that I broke on indoor clay. Might have to do with the proximity of poles/walls on the indoor clay tracks, where outdoor astro you usually fly into a bush at worst. Have not broke much on indoor carpet either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.